Trailer Lights For The Accessory Hitch?

Discussion in 'Wish List' started by Andrew Cushingham, Sep 16, 2021.

1. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

2. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

Andrew, I've been on the 1UP website and under my 560. Based on their measurements (and your photos) it appears as if it is a questionably tight fit. They show a clearance from the front of the hitch of 3.1". That seems to put me right in the middle of the bumper while being approximately an inch below the bumper. At that point the rack starts to angle up but at an angle away. But I really can't tell if that is enough clearance. Do you know if your rack is the current one they still sell, and do you know if your measurement from the face of the hitch on the 560 is the same as what I measured?

Thanks for any light you can shed.

3. I’m not sure I understand your clearance question. The 1up rack uses a pressure fit tightening mechanism that allows you to adjust how far you insert the rack into the hitch before tightening it. I haven’t had any issues with the compatibility of the rack with the 560 and bumper. The 1up rack I am using is their Quik rack, not the Equip-D. Let me know if you need additional info.

4. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

When you push the rack into the hitch it can only go so deep. At that point when I use their clearance measurements from the front of the hitch (3.1") it appears it isn't long enough to clear the bumper. Nothing to do with the anti-rattle screw.

https://www.1up-usa.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/100025_FITMENT.pdf

5. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

Bikes get stolen from the "nicest" neighborhoods...

Sweeney likes this.
  6. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I can't imagine transporting a nice bike on the back of a trailer anyway --- the grime and gook that comes off the streets is pretty gnarly. Especially with eBikes. One of my nomad friends cooked his just by traveling through rain with it on the back of a class A.

I think this thread becomes more important --- becuase covering those bikes seems like an necessity to me which would make external lighting a must-have.

7. It’s tight but it works. I use a skinny lockable hitch pin at the minimum allowable depth of inserting the rack into the hitch.

JohnC likes this.
  8. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

Thanks. That was kind of what I suspected. I spoke with the company but couldn't get a definitive answer. But they do have a 60 day return policy and they will pay the return shipping, so I think I'm going to give them a try. I finally bought an ebike today and almost got a hernia lifting it in and out of the car. That's a trip to the hospital waiting to happen. :eek: I really need a rack now. :D

9. Looking good!

Kevin likes this.
  10. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

Thanks Kevin. Your photos capture the tightness of the fit that worried me. Since you and Andrew both made it work I'm hoping that's a good sign for me.

I just got off the phone with 1up. It sounds like I should be able to make it work including tightening it down over a rear fender. The fender was also a potential problem area for me. I think I have a solution that is going to work just fine.

Thanks to both of you Kevin and Andrew!

Kevin likes this.
  11. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

I do wonder though, if Cary would have a formula for calculating impact on tongue weight, based on "pounds" x "distance from hitch". That would allow folks to calculate their own weight impact based on their specific bike(s) weight on any rack. As Ron White would say, "that's a handy piece of information to have".

Kevin likes this.
  12. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

He pretty much does in the owners manual.

Kevin likes this.
  13. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

There is a reference to the 150 lb limit and the page that Kevin posted above. But neither describes the weight impact of hanging a specific amount weight off the back of the trailer on a rack.

14. SethB

SethB Ranger

This seems so individual. What do you have in your bins? Cabin cabinets, fore and aft? Under the bed? Any gear on top of the bed (lots for us)? Are your tanks empty or full? How much? Will they be empty on the return trip? Roof rack? Standard or large propane tank?

You can see where I’m going with this. A manufacturer provides specifications with a safety margin.

With loading so individualized, my personal feeling is that weighing the tongue is the only answer to JohnC’s question. I’d guess that the CI team did the same: calculated, then weighed the tongue when it was built, then weighed the tongue again under different loading conditions.

15. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

I'm merely asking if there is a way to calculate the impact of a bike or anything hanging off the back on a rack. Same as for all the examples shown in the manual now. It's then up to me to decide where and how to offset that weight if at all.

16. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

My rack from 1up arrived yesterday. It fit the trailer just fine.

Thanks all!

Andrew Cushingham and Kevin like this.
  17. rmbrowder

rmbrowder Junior Ranger

I just added a four pin to the back of my CI for a bike/cargo carrier. Basically, it’s the same as adding a four pin to a car. The tail lights pop out and have labels on the lights. I tied in the tail, right, and ground to the right side and the left to ….the left light. The wires can be pulled through the license plate mount hole. I have heard that some people might be tempted to pull a tandem trailer, crazy.

Kevin likes this.