Tongue Jack Upgrade - Maybe

Discussion in 'Custom Additions' started by dirty6, Apr 23, 2021.

1. SLO Camper

SLO Camper Junior Ranger

For anyone thinking of trying this upgrade, I can confirm that the ARK 350 will fit without having to change the mounting hardware. Merely, remove the snap ring and swap them out. Easy peasy. It is a very nice upgrade as the ARK is MUCH more heavy-duty and it has dual wheels for reduced resistance.

2. SLO Camper

SLO Camper Junior Ranger

Here is a photo of it. I believe that the 350 fits the scale of the 560.
    [​IMG]

Kevin, M&L and Cary Winch like this.
  3. rmbrowder

rmbrowder Junior Ranger

For my TV, I found that using the upper sets of plate mounting holes gave me a better lift range.

Kevin likes this.
  4. dirty6

dirty6 Ranger

Yes, I would agree that yours "fits" the trailer better than my beefy boy ARK500.

I considered the 350, but we went with the 500 for a few reasons
    1.) Cary recommended we avoid dropping down below the static weight rating of the stock tongue jack due to our heavy camper with the roof top tent on top and 5 humans (2 adults and 3 teenagers no less/and two dogs) sleeping inside the camper. We end up putting a lot of weight on the tongue jack for that reason.
    2.) When we made our purchase, the 2 wheel 350 that you have did not exist. There was only a single wheel 350. I hoped the dual wheels would help us avoid the wheel digging into the soft ground by spreading the weight out over more surface area.
    3.) I was enamored with the ratcheting ARK tongue jack versions as an easier way to steer and control the camper.

If I had to do it again tomorrow I'd probably still go with the ARK500 and deal with the overkill factor ... but when we grow up and launch the kids and take the roof top tent off the camper, my tune might change.

FWIW, the stock tongue jack's static rating is 1000lb (I believe); the ARK500 is 1100lbs and the ARK350 is 770lb.

Kevin likes this.
  5. hiadventurer

hiadventurer Junior Ranger

I am a firm believer in the Fulton jack Randy posted about earlier. Ours now has The Fulton Double Wheel. My issue with the “stock jack” CI supplies with the 560 is it is too light. What changed my mind was the “snap ring” popped out and the tongue of the trailer crashed to the pavement narrowly missing my foot. Took my neighbor and I both to lift the tongue up to block it up…R

Randy and Kevin like this.
  6. campdude

campdude Ranger

I may have to check into one of these

7. SLO Camper

SLO Camper Junior Ranger

This is good advice, after our first trip, I have done the same.