Teardrop Australian Style

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Randy, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

2. rgupnorth

rgupnorth Junior Ranger Donating Member

Really designed for the outback. Some innovative use of space. Would give a whole new meaning to tent camping.

3. Old_Prospector

Old_Prospector Junior Ranger

I agree that a lot of thought has gone into the design of this trailer, but you cannot simply pull into a rest stop and crawl in a take a nap. Some set up is required first.

The land mass of Australia is the size of the US, less Alaska. However, the southernmost point is as far from the south pole as the middle of Kansas is from the north pole. With the southern ocean as a buffer, Australia doesn't receive wintry artic fronts like the North American continent. Hence, Australia is in a much warmer zone. In fact, about a third of Australia is between the Tropic of Capricorn and the Equator, whereas only Hawaii is situated in this region for the US. Camping is a 12 month affair in Australia due to climate, whereas only a few, like our forum mentor - Bear, camp beyond the 8 month range of mid March to mid November.

My point is that a breathable tent trailer is much better suited for camping throughout Australia than camping throughout the US. Additionally there are NO BEARS in Australia.

4. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Just spent a month in Perth with our daughter and boyfriend. Camped a few days with them and his parents. Saw this video a while back, and there is a similar styled camper made in the Kimberly area of OZ. As that Old Prospector said, Australia is much better suited to that kind of camping (12 month season), but setup is still an issue. Saw 3 teardrops while we were there - 1 was home-made by a young guy, just finished it in December. Did a very nice job (if I remember I'll post some pics of them all once we're home.) One of the others was also home-made, and finished to match a '27 Ford. The 3rd was in pretty bad shape, waiting to be restored. The owner believes it to be a DE Haviland, which I didn't know they did.
    Some days got VERY hot while we were there - a couple times hitting 50 C. It was a dry heat, though...
    A great trip! I'd recommend a visit.

5. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

That trailer is in no way prepared to take me camping in Oz...it would need a truck load of sensors and death rays to track and kill all the deadly creatures on that continent. You have to wonder if God has something against that place, think about it...

Forget about going in the water, place is surrounded with deadly creatures.
    They have Great White, Tiger Sharks, Bull sharks surrounding the place looking for a quick lunch.
    If they don't get you, they have giant salt water crocs and to them, we taste like chicken.
    Box Jelly fish, a brainless killer with tentacles up to 60 feet and nearly invisible. They can inject you with MILLIONS of tiny harpoons at 1 time.
    Blue Ringed Octopus - Tiny thing with enough poison to kill 26 adults...but hey, it's pretty to look at and has blue blood.
    Cone Snail - has a harpoon that can go through a toenail...seriously, what is the thing hunting that it needs to penetrate something as hard as a toenail?
    Stone Fish - damn thing looks like a rock.

If that doesn't make you wonder, you still have all sorts of deadly creatures running around on land, and even in urban areas where kids play...
    Funnelweb Spiders, brown recluse, mouse spider, redback spider, etc. Sure, no match for a rolled up newspaper assuming you see it first.
    Oh, it's not just spiders either, Oz also has plenty of deadly snakes...
    Inland Taipan, the most deadly snake of all
    Costal Taipan, the 3rd most deadly snake in the world
    Eastern and Western Brown Snakes-super aggressive, has a don't mess with me attitude
    Death Adder, the name says it all
    Black Mamba, copperheads and more.

Australia has something like 7 of the most poisonous animals on the planet. It's a wonder people even survive to adulthood.

6. Old_Prospector

Old_Prospector Junior Ranger

Australia and the surrounding oceans do have some unique creatures. Steve Irwin (R.I.P.), “The Crocodile Hunter”, was one of my favorite nature shows. It was through his TV shows that I became aware of the deadly creatures that Australia has to offer. It’s definitely not all Kangaroos and Koalas.

I was fortunate enough to go to Australia in 2002 and visit Sydney, Brisbane, and the Huron Island on the Barrier Reef.

7. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Saw a couple redbacks while we were there. Right in the back yard, and one at a local park that was spotted by a couple 5 year olds ('Hey mom, look, a redback!')