Table Legs Improvement

Discussion in 'Custom Additions' started by rotus8, Dec 10, 2015.

1. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

I have found that despite being as careful as we can, the table legs are getting bent where they attach to the table. After taking them apart and bending back a few times I decided it was time to make a more robust fix.

The problem is that there is a large amount of leverage with the long leg and if you don't lift against the spring quite hard, it is really easy to bend the end of the leg. My approach is to make a solid plug to fit in the end of the leg, thus adding a lot of strength. I made my plugs out of aluminim (I am a metal guy) but the could easily be made from some hard wood such as oak, maple, or birch, and probably would take less time. The plugs are fit into the top of the legs and attached with a flat head screw.

I made the plugs by starting with a 1/2" thick piece of aluminum and cut two 1" squares. Then using the inner part of the leg as a pattern, I ground the corners off until it just fit into the outer tube. I did the fitting on the undistorted end of the tube to get an accurate shape. The plug needs to be close to the size of the inside of the tube, but just small enough that it fits in the tube without forcing it. I drilled and tapped a hole in the plug (if you are using wood, you should drill a pilot hole for a wood screw), and a corresponding hole in the leg for a mounting screw. I discovered that the 1/2" thickness of the plug is just a little too thick to allow the leg to operated properly, so I had to grind a grove in the inner side of the plug to clear the leg pivot screw.

I did have to take the leg off the bottom of the table to do this; if the leg was not distorted, I probably could have done it in place but I needed to straighten it. To remove you need a Phillips screwdriver and a 10mm wrench. Remove the nut and then work the screw out. There is a spring inside that will fight you a bit, but some wiggling will get the screw out, then the spring will probably fall out too. I then worked with a hammer, pliers, and screwdriver to straighten out the bent end so the plug would fit, and drilled the hole for the mounting screw. Don't install the plug at this time, but make sure it fits. You need the hole open to put the spring back in place.

Putting the leg back on is a bit of a challenge; I am sure there is someone at Camp-Inn who is really expert at it, but expect to spend some time fiddling. First, hook one end of the spring in the hole in the leg. Hold the spring with needle nose pliers while fitting the leg back in the bracket, put the screw in the holes, and hook the spring over the screw. It will take several tries. Then put the nut back on and tighten just enough that the bolt is snug but the leg will still rotate. Now install the plug and the retaining screw.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

This is a great idea. I don't think mine is bent yet but I think about it every time I fold the leg. It was stressed during orientation to be careful and make sure it is pulled out against the spring. I don't have the exact picture in my mind but am sure I will see it when I look at the table. I think I have some aluminum that will work. Thanks.