SUV Off-Road Standard Height Vs Suv Height

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by Tom Ruggles, May 6, 2011.

1. Tom Ruggles

Tom Ruggles Novice

Is there any reason one wouldn't order the SUV option rather than the standard height tear to obtain 3 more inches in the kitchen area? We will never go 'offroading' but the backs are getting old and we are used to a 32" counter in our home kitchen. Seems like a no brainer, but am I missing something?

2. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

tomNgayle,

I agree with you on the backs but I think Cary said it doesn't look right to have the SUV behind a car. Don't even know if it would "fit."

3. abccampinn

abccampinn Novice

The SUV option also gives more headroom for the taller people, it is easier on the back. I also like the looks of the SUV option.
    Charlie

4. Bunni

Bunni Novice

Tom,

We tried the SUV vs. standard height when we visited the nest to order our 560. Cary told us to buy what was comfortable for us in the kitchen area. We choose the SUV even though we are on the shorter side. It just fit us better. We are happy with the extra height. No planned off roading with the 560 for us either

We visited a Camp Inn owner that was pulling an 560 SUV with a car. She tows it cross country with no problems. Cary would be the best one to answer this.

Benn

5. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

We have the SUV as well, and only because it came that way - we bought our 550 used. After almost 2 years, I can say that I'm glad we have the extra couple of inches. The headroom in the kitchen would be tight without it (I'm 6ft), and the counter/table height just feels right. I'd be interested to know the break-down of CampInn's sales of SUV vs non-SUV models.

6. Deb

Deb Novice

We also have the SUV height for our 550 Ultra. Works just great for us. We're both about 5'9".

7. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

To answer Ken's question first. The SUV option accounts for over 80% of what we build. Only a very small percentage of those customers are getting it for more off road ground clearance. Most are getting it because they like the trailer sitting a bit higher, especially the kitchen.

As for behind a car or truck this does not matter unless the aesthetics of the tire matching concern the customer.

How tall are you Tom and Gayle? This will really be the biggest determining factor. Like Bob and Deb said, they are both 5' 9" so it will work good for them at SUV height, but it would work good for them at street height too. Ken is taller, about the same as me. For me, I hit my head on the hatch on a street height but do not on a SUV height. For those who are even taller yet, say above 6' tall the SUV then becomes pretty much a necessity. For those who are shorter, say 5' 2" or something, the stove becomes to high up on a SUV so the street height is a must.

Cary

8. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

I'm 5'3" and Bill's 5'2" and the street height works ok for us but to be honest I'd like the SUV height because I have had back surgery twice and the half/stoop to wash dishes and cook bothers me some. I also didn't realize that I even COULD have the SUV option behind the minivan. However, all that being said I bought mine used and so that option WASN'T an option. But ask me how much I care! NOT! I love my "MiniMc"!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

I chose the regular height and I tow it with an SUV. My tailgate on my SUV opens up and has a drop down tailgate. If I got SUV height it wouldn't be level while towing unless I raised hitchball. Then I would not be able to lower tailgate. I am taller than most (6'3"), kitchen is a slight problem on level sites. What I do, is choose a less desirable unlevel site. Then I drop the tongue as low as possible. So trailer is now level and I have tons of headroom in kitchen.

10. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Matt- Smarty Pants!

11. AnnaSteve

AnnaSteve Novice

We have the standard height Anna is 5'5" and i am 5'10" and we never had a problem with the kitchen.Steve :)

12. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

OK, so what is the actual height of the counter on the a street model and how much higher is the stove that the additional 3" on the SUV would make a difference to a 5' person cooking?

13. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Ours is street height & the counter height is 28". The stove top is 5 1/2" above the counter top, so the bottom of a pan will sit at about 33 1/2" high.

I am 5'0". I've used the SUV height rental many times & although I am able to work with it, I much prefer ours. Remember that you will have to reach in to access the stove, which means someone who is 5'0" will be doing more stretching than a taller person. Add 3" more on the SUV model & that leaning in can, for some, become more difficult/uncomfortable. Using the stove is equivalent to using the back two burners on a kitchen stove.

Again, I can use the SUV model, it just takes some getting used to. It really is a personal preference. One option is to take along a small step stool (Rubbermaid makes a sturdy mini version).

I would recommend measuring your counter top height at home. Is that a comfortable working height? This would help you to decided what would be most comfortable/workable for you.

:cool:

14. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

Thanks Betsey, that gives me something to work with.

15. Steve & Ellen

Steve & Ellen Novice

My wife is just over 5', I am 5'9". We have SUV for ground clearance when we go hunting. Cooking on the stove is no problem.

16. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

AJ,

You also need to take your height into consideration. Craig is 5'8", so he's comfortable with either one.

Also, consider how much time will be spent using the stove. In my case, that is A LOT! Plus I use taller kettles, which makes it a bit more of a challenge.

One other thing...using leveling jacks can change the height of the counter top, whether it's on the street height or SUV height...have had that happen on both the street height & SUV & it wasn't fun on either one... :D

Again, it's what is best for you. :)

:cool:

17. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

Michelle is 5' and I'm about 5'11 so I guess counter and stove height is going to be more of a concern for her. Since this whole camping thing is new to us, I'm not sure how much cooking we're going to do. I see us more the Guy Fieri type, doing Diners, Dive-Ins and Dives across the country as we sightsee.

I guess we'll figure it all out when we get to the C-ICO in September.

18. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Uff Da Inn is SUV height. I would only get the SUV height. I am 5'3"

Makes a big difference when washing dishes, no issues when cooking either.

Jean

19. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

Hopefully this will be my last question(s) regarding SUV vs Street height. I know the ride heights are 17" & 14" respectively to the top of the coupler. So I can visualize the trailer behind my car, can someone tell me the height from the ground to the bottom of the trailer (like under the door). I ask because I see the side walls of the trailer extend down past the frame but I don't know how much. So just knowing the height to the top of the coupler doesn't give me a true sense of where the bottom line of the trailer would ride.

Maybe Cary has an elevation drawing lying around that has the measurements.

Is the suspension different on the SUV or does the 3" height increase come from the bigger wheels and tires?

That's it!

Thanks, I truly appreciate your feedback.

aj

20. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

http://tinycamper.com/options6.htm

aj,

Above is from Camp-Inn's website. It looks like it is larger tires with 'tuned up suspension.'