Some Additions to the Guidon

Discussion in 'Custom Additions' started by Dahava, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Dahava

Dahava Novice

I thought I'd share a few customizations I've done recently. It's hard to make such a fantastic product any better, but we all use our Camp-Inns differently and sometimes personal "tweaks" are in order. So, here are some I did for us.

I designed a table extension...LOVE it. My goals were 1: Simplicity, no moving parts, 2: As strong as the current design, 3: Easy to use and store, 4: Open up as much room for the galley area as possible. Mission accomplished.

[​IMG]

Added a dish towel hanger onto the table extension. I just used a stainless cabinet handle and extended the handle's attachment arms with hollow aluminum rod. Works great!

[​IMG]

Added a paper towel holder under the table. It's the ratcheted one but as others have mentioned the wind can still unroll the towels a bit. A clothespin solved that and works great. I used epoxied T-Nuts in the bottom of the table and it's very strong.

[​IMG]

Added a level to the bumper. I just epoxied an aluminum line level onto the center between the bumper tube. I did have to file off the hooks of the line level to make it smooth.

[​IMG]

Finally, I drilled a hole from my lower cabinet to be able to plug in a dual socket 12v socket module in the cabinet and be able to close the cabinet door. The second photo below shows the module and a small Apple-approved inverter for my Macbook Pro-R for charging. It also has two USB sockets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh yeah...and a cutting board cover for the sink. I bought this and shaped it to fit, but I'll probably do another thicker one of matching birch and mahogany with the stripes mirroring the direction on the galley hatch.

[​IMG]

2. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

I really like all of your ideas. I have been thinking about the table extension idea and wondering how to do it and also maybe make the table higher. Did you get extra table bracket from CampInn to use in your design? I will be picking my trailer up on May 2nd so if there is anything I need to get from them I should let them know.
    I have also been wondering where to put a level. Looks like you found the perfect place.
    Does the table store the same with the paper towel holder in place? Can you get a paper towel with the table stored?
    Thanks for sharing. Love your ideas.

3. Dahava

Dahava Novice

Pat- I got extra hardware from Cary, but I bought the bracket from Lowe's. It's just alum angle bracket and comes in lengths.

Re the paper towel roll/holder...no, we have to remove the roll from the holder when we shut the hatch. Plus, you have to put the holder in exactly the right spot so there is no interference with the galley hatch arm.

The line level was about $2.50 at Lowe's. I have the front level in the storage compartment, right inside the storage door. I just use museum putty to keep it in place. Works great and I can pull it out/replace it as desired.

4. pbaker2225

Wow, thanks for your quick response. Did you get a set of hardware from Cary with both the piece that is on the table and the piece that is on the trailer? I'm picturing that is how I would need to do it.

5. Dahava

Dahava Novice

Pat-

I'll PM you some info on how I did it. If you have any Qs just let me know!

6. Pick

Pick Novice

Nice work Dan, Trailer looks great. Like to know more about your table extention.
    MDP
    Mike & Denita

7. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Hey guys,

Just to let the cat out of the bag a bit early, but since Dan started the conversation. Working with Dan we created our own version of the table extension very closely based on Dan's. Production parts are soon to arrive here so production table extensions will be available soon.

Stay tuned.

Cary

8. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Micks project list just got a little longer (although this is current only the second or third thing I have added). Unless he says to call Cary!

Thanks Dan! Your projects look great!

9. skissinger

skissinger Ranger Donating Member

That's good news Cary. I was just thinking how cool is that extension!

10. Bazza2154

Bazza2154 Novice

Been thinking of doing this for a while now I just have to be patient and wait for a delivery.

11. pbaker2225

Thanks Dan, I'm glad to see CampInn add it. It will be much better if I get mine from them as I always have to do every project at least twice before I get it right. This project has been on my mind ever since I ordered my trailer last July. Thanks again and keep the ideas coming.

12. Dahava

Dahava Novice

Yay!!!

13. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Dan, your work looks topnotch. You know you've done some excellent work when Camp-Inn decides to add it as an option.

14. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Great ideas and I like the square canisters to - I always wonder why there are so many round ones when cupboards are square.

15. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Whoaaa Dan & Vanessa...
    Way to go, looking nice...

Question on the table extension... how is the back? end supported? by the angled extension? I would thing you'd need a leg on the back end as is on the front end to keep it stable and able to hold stuff...
    Did I miss something??

I mean Geesh... how would I hold Carmen/Rita/Dan in full dress... heheh, kewl work, nice...
    Keep'em coming eh?? All Y'all... heheh, I use that all the time now..

16. Dahava

Dahava Novice

Frank-

The table still has the "flip out" angle bracket that comes with the table, but my table extension bracket also provides support for the fold-out portion of the table. Just like in the original position, the hardware on the camper carries the bulk of the weight. It works great! I wouldn't risk you 'ritas now, would I? That's a high crime here in Tejas!

17. mcjimjam

mcjimjam Junior Ranger Donating Member

Liking your ideas and modifications, Dan & Vanessa! We hope you can make it to our MAUCICCO Gathering in August, so you can share all of your great ideas, in person!

18. Dahava

Dahava Novice

Thanks Evan, Pat Frank and Jim & Jamie!

Evan- Yes...I'm humbled! I love to tinker and find simple solutions. Product design is a passion for me and I'm glad it worked out. It took a lot of time just sitting there...staring...waiting for the solution to slap me in the face. But finally it did!

Pat- I agree...square is where it's at! My wife is a Certified Professional Organizer® and sees the 'round container conundrum' all the time!

Jim & Jamie- We're planning out summer trips soon and really, really hope to make this! We have a speaking gig in Dallas the following week which might hold us up though. Still 'running the numbers, etc".

19. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

Where did Vanessa find the squares?

Jean

20. Dahava

Dahava Novice