Solar Generator Newbie

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by campdude, Jan 6, 2022.

1. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

For the record and just in case anyone is doing the same, I ran into a couple of snags charging the Goal Zero with my auxiliary line on my truck coming from a Victron DC to DC charge controller. The input voltage display on the Goal Zero kept scrolling in increments from 0 to 90 and back to 0 again.

Issue one is that my Victron DC to DC charge controller on my truck ran into a conflict with the Goal Zero charge controller. The solution was to program the Victron as “Power Supply” instead of “Charger.”

Issue two was that the model 12-12-30 DC to DC charger model that I had could be programmed to send 10-15 volts. Turns out 15 volts was for some reason insufficient to charge the Goal Zero. I replaced it with a model 12-24-15 that can be programmed to send 20-30 volts.
    https://a.co/d/e0FOMuV
    After some YouTube research (see video below) I programmed the new charger as follows:
    Function: Power Supply
    Output: Enabled
    Output Voltage: 20.0 Volts
    Input voltage lockout: 13.2 & 13.4

The Goal Zero now shows a steady 203 watts of input voltage at idle. Very happy and plan on using my previous charger to replace the OEM battery isolator in the camper as previously described by Rotus.

I should add that Goal Zero support was of no help, They said their battery would not work with a DC to DC charger. I refused to accept that answer and found the solution via this gentlemen’s video for which I am very grateful. Wanted to give him credit:

-Randy

Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
    dustinp and Kevin like this.
  2. manuel palmer

manuel palmer Newbie

I've been using the BougeRV LiFePO4 portable solar generator for a while now, and I must say I'm impressed with its performance. It's lightweight, portable, and provides enough power to run essential appliances and devices in my RV. The Bluetti EB240 is another solid option, especially when paired with multiple solar panels for extended off-grid use. Both units offer clean and quiet power, making them ideal for camping and boondocking.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2024
    dustinp likes this.
  3. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I've had my eye on BougeRV for a while --- they seem to be a decent company. I haven't heard anything talking bad about anything they sell...their 12 volt refrigerator will be what replaces my domestic if/when it does again.

Mark & Mel and Kevin like this.
  4. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Thanks again Randy for sharing all this info.
    The Goal Zero unit you linked a year ago is down to $649 at Amazon. Seems like a sweet simple solution for a "house battery" for the Dometic stashed in tow vehicle.

This is how I'm rolling on longer stays away from shore powered campsites: Relion sogen powers dometic. Relion recharged now only by solar...for now.

I also found the dometic cigarette plug fit into my ReLion 72ah sogen to be just about unworkable with any kind of motion, so often checking it hasnt worked loose.
    and once snapped off a tip on the fused plug from Dometic- (my bad for not enough clearance or strapping down unsat) and mention the fragility in rough use as another aspect of the cigarrette plug's less than ideal design.)

And iirc there is a youtube somewhere in the forums about the aussie(?) guy who hates the poor connection for power losses on cigarrette plugs.

So when times come to replace the Relion,
    I'll definitely be looking for the Anderson plugs ports.

Hows it going now, a year later for you?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
  5. Randy

Hey Kevin,

Been VERY happy with the Goal Zero. Always arrive at 100 percent charge and heck, it will run the Dometic for three days without solar but I have a panel for it for longer trips. The Anderson connection is rock solid.

For me, dedicating a SoGen to run the Dometic has been the key to managing my power needs.

Cheers, Randy

SethB, Kevin and Sweeney like this.
  6. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Thanks, Randy! Hows the Victron DC to DC alternator charging the Goal Zero working?

Are you also alternator charging the CampInn via a CTEK or...

If so,
    Does your truck alternator handle those at same time, or are you using a battery isolator type switch to choose A or B or Both?

Thats where I'm at- how to connect the Sogen in tow vehicle for alternator charging going down the road.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
  7. Randy

Charger is awesome. I always arrive at my destination with the Goal Zero at 100% charged. It puts out 200+ watts plus of charging power at idle. Yes, the truck charges both the Goal Zero via auxiliary line and CampInn battery via 7 pin hookup with no problem. I’m not sure the camper battery gets all the wattage it could while driving. I would like to replace the OEM camper battery isolator with a DC to DC charger someday but haven’t worked up the courage yet! Honestly with the Dometic taken off the camper battery I have plenty of power that I keep topped off with solar. I leave with it at 100% and don’t run anything electrical while driving so not really an issue except multi day multi site trips. I really like keeping the Dometic in the back of the truck to eliminate lifting it, added safety in bear country and keeping my side table free.

I do not have a CTek. I can monitor and control settings of both the both the Victron DC to DC auxiliary charger and the new Victron Energy Blue Smart IP67/that I installed on the camper via Bluetooth. I also have SmartShunt 500 on the camper battery for monitoring when not driving.

Here is a great thread on installing an auxiliary line. If you PM me your email I can send you my step by step instructions with product links (if I still have it) that I shared with someone else. All credit to Rotus as it was his design that I followed.

Of course, if Michelle ever lets me buy a new Ram truck, there is a 110 outlet in the bed, problem solved! So far I haven’t been able to convince her that we need one. :)

Auxiliary Battery For Refrigerator

Hope that helps,

Randy

Last edited: Feb 24, 2024
    Kevin likes this.
  8. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Randy,

For sure your camper battery is not being fully charged while driving without a DC to DC charger. If the camper has just a base straight charge line from the tow vehicle we estimate about 80-85% maximum charge on the camper battery. Having a DC to DC charge like the CTEK , Victron or Redarc installed will not only get you full 100% while driving it will allow more charging amps and therefor a faster charge. This also would provide battery isolation (so yes replacing the isolator in the camper with a charger is a good plan) and protection to the alternator and tow vehicle's battery from the camper's battery. The protection of the alternator is important for example if using a lithium battery in the camper.

Cary

9. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Thank you!
    PM sent.

10. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Bumped.
    Hows this working out, a year later?
    Thx in past for tips and TY in advance for the one year review.

11. Randy

Thanks Cary, I agree. Any chance you have step by step instructions for replacing the OEM Isolated with a DC to DC charger? I have a Victron charger sitting in a box but have been hesitant to try and install it.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2024
    Kevin likes this.
  12. rmbrowder

rmbrowder Junior Ranger

W
    Works good. I last used it at the NC outerbanks.

Kevin likes this.
  13. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Lots of great information in this thread.

14. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

These Safari MEs look like a sturdy unit. They have the Anderson output, which is key for getting the best resistance free connector to something like a Dometic (you have to replace Dometic cigarette plug with Anderson ends).

They have reconditioned units on sale RN with 5 year warranty...not bad!

Recertified Products

Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
    dustinp likes this.