Sleep sack

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Ladymc, Apr 17, 2011.

1. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

Pat, we were considering the "Road Trip" pattern also... you're right, very appropriate for a TD. My only concern was that it would be too busy for a small area. Any pictures?

aj & michelle

2. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

aj & michelle,
    we do not find the pattern too busy - and it is fun looking. We got the cover and 2 good sized pillows in a simuler pattern. I thin we have pictures in the picture galley. I will take a look and if not I will add one. We are just home so it might be a few days.

3. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

aj and michelle,
    [​IMG]
    I think this will get you to the pictures.

4. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

woops wrong pic - try this.
    [​IMG]

5. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

Thanks Pat,

Michelle really likes the look and agrees with you... I'm still on the fence.

Personally, I'm leaning more towards the tie dyed/hippie/psychedelic/flower power/peace sign/motif... complete with lava lamp.

So, you can see why Michelle likes the Road Trip design

aj

6. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

aj & michelle,
    tie/die - I got a sample of this also before I ordered. I didn't like it - if it's the same as the sample I got it is more like canvas and I thought that it would show dog hair and stuff. The one we got is heavier and very forgiving. Re: dog hair - it vacummes off easily and we use a sticky roller if needed while camping. A few quick swipes and our Sheltie's hair is gone.

7. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

Pat that's good to know, I'm sure we'll have our fair share of dog hair. We hope to take Duke with us as often as possible. But, this camping thing is all new to us so we're not sure how any of us are going to react to the quietness or the noise of the different campsites. I hate to think he'll keep everyone up all night barking at strange sounds. But, I guess we'll worry about that when the time comes.

8. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

aj & michelle,
    Our dog is a barker at all thing unknown.
    The only problem we had were the fireworks and an occasional dog off leash.

We use a pop up dog crate for her when we arrive at a new place pop up the crate and put her in this allows her to get a view of where we are but contains her - I think she gets overwhelmed by the new enviorment so does not bark but watches everything intently. When we are ready to sit she has had time to be "cool". The nice thing about this crate is that it colaspes and it has roll or or down curtains on each side and a zip open on one end and the top so we can adjust to avoid sun or wind or view on any side. She also likes to lay on top of it when we are sitting.

I don't know how big your dog is but Bella is about 30 pounds and she sleeps the the foot of the be in the center. She loves putting her head under the shelf - I don't know if it is cooler there - I would not think so but I have yet to try laying with my head on the foot to see why she likes it. We put a small sheet in-between us at the foot and that is her place.
    [​IMG]

9. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

I am also planning on taking my dog with us. It will be his first time camping so I am not sure how he will behave. He is not too bad of a barker but the strange noises at night may be interesting.

I have a collapsible crate as well but it does not have the curtains.

Bailey is barely 10 pounds and will probably sleep at the foot of the bed or maybe on the couch. Pat, I think they would like it under the shelves because of a den like atmosphere.

10. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Joan,
    yes I think you are right about the den - but the first few nights we were afraid she was suffocating it looks like such a tight fit. At home she sleeps at the end of the bed and I always thought it was so she can look out into the hall - now I am not sure.

11. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

Pat,

Do you recall the name of the company that made your dog crate? I want to start looking for one. We have a large wire crate for Duke that weighs about 40lbs. but it's just getting to be a pain lugging it around. He's close to 60lbs. so it's going to have to be pretty sturdy. Are you satisfied with the one you have or would you go with something else if you were to replace it?

Michelle just started researching "camping with dogs" online. Appears to be a lot of information on the topic out there. Duke is pretty laid back, so I think he'll adapt to camping very well. He use to bark at everything but takes most things in stride now... except for turtles, they make him crazy.

I figure the more we learn from others that take their pets camping the better chance we have of surviving.

12. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

we got ours from drs foster smith on line. Here is the link.
    we really like it and our dog does not fight it when she is in it (it is well made and pretty tuff). She will go in when we ask her too. We always give her one or two charlie bear treats after she goes in.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/dog-supplies/dog-cages-crates/ps/c/3307/10627

She also likes the side tent which might work for your dog since she/he is bigger. But that would depend on whether she/he would fight to get out - it would be costly damage of the side tent and possible loss of the dog.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  13. ajs777

ajs777 Novice

Pat,

Thanks for the info, I'll check them out.

Switching from a wire crate to a soft crate I'm a little concerned about the durability of the plastic mesh screens. Have you had any issues with yours?

14. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

The screens are pretty durable - heavier than a tenting screen. I heard that they used commonly at dog shows. So I assume for a lot of different kind of dogs. It took us a few times to get folding it down quickly but once we caught on it is slick.

15. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Jim and I have purchased a "DreamSack Double" from www.yaladesigns.com. It's a queen size, extra long silk (let's hear all the girls say, "Ooooo, SILK") sleep sack with a built in pillow pocket cover and two side openings with velcro closures. Lovely, though a bit pricey...$130.

We will give it a try on the maiden voyage of Spamalot.

Jim's sister picked up something for her RV called a "Travasack" that looked fantastic. It's a fiber filled comforter with velcroed removable cotton sheets and looked perfect for our needs. Unfortunately, that company went out of business last year. And so, as we searched for a replacement, we found the DreamSack. We'll just throw a comforter over the top and that should do it.

We'll let you know how it turns out.

Jim and Sue

16. Ladymc

Ladymc Novice

Sounds great! And it may be a bit pricey, but cheap compared to the other accessories we bought! This time of life we spend on US now! Can't wait to ck. it out! Thanks a bunch!