Single cup coffee makers

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Tom Ruggles, Aug 10, 2011.

1. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Bear, I used to use the melitta filter all the time when I was younger. I still have it. I now use a coffee pot that I can program the night before when at home, but I think I will start using the melitta filter for camping. I have been using instant up till now.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  2. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

we can't do without our AM coffee. our solution: bought a bunch of Starbuck Via instant coffee packets at Costco. Found that 2 packets in a 16oz cup was really strong, so now I split 3 packets between 2 16oz cups. Have only brewed coffee once and that was our first morning with the TD because of a "going away" gift from a friend; shared that with Tom and George which was so fun.

dirty6 likes this.
  3. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Kathy & Bob,

I also have been using Starbuck's Via while camping. I like my coffee strong, so two packets in 16 oz works for me. I didn't know Costco had them. Will have to look when I make a trip this week.

4. Kathy,
    Have you tried the new Starbucks Blonde coffee. I don't like mine strong either and I enjoy this one. My daughter got a sample bag of it and I use a tsp of grounds in my Kerig per 12 oz cup. It has a nice taste to it.

tina

5. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

Thanks, Tina. I'll try it!

Kathy

6. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Bear just getting caught up on old posts: I have a story about the melita which caused me to research single serve coffe makers. We were visiting my sister in Canada. She is blind and was making coffee for us. She used the Melita boiled water in a tea pot on the stove - poured the boiling water into the Melita with her finger in the melita to not over flow it - ooo it was so scary - she got 2 cups made - I had to leave the kitchen to keep from screeming. Then she was almost finished she bumped the melita and had coffee grounds everywhere and of course could not see them. When I got home I went on a search and got her a single serve.

7. Drenu

Drenu Newbie

We use a french press. I just picked (another) one up that has added bracing on the side, which should afford more protection. That is, in fact, the issue with them- breaking the carafe. The one Drew and I have makes just over 2 cups of coffee; I have seen them in a one cup size. You can get them in stainless steel, but they are pricey.
    The via's are also nice if you are traveling super light. We'll see how things play out when we get our TD!
    -R
    (Just saw this was page 5 of 5 of the discussion; I look forward to reading about what works/doesn't for folks.)

8. Drenu

Drenu Newbie

Wow. Lots to be said about how to/how strong/how much.... I need to be asking more questions as I stock our TD...
    We used this, or something super similar, for a good while:http://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-Expr...F3Q6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1328909490&sr=8-2
    Liked it alright, but prefer the aforementioned french press; better flavor coming at the price of durability.
    That pixie nespresso machine is sweet! I'll agree with both sentiments- not the most environmentally friendly; and we have to pick and choose our battles.
    Happy coffee (and tea!) drinking!
    -R
    And I've never used spent coffee grounds straight as a potting mix, but I do compost them. Good for that, for sure.

9. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

I use a french press, insulated
    Apologies, haven't read the previous 5 pages, but this works excellent for moi. Keeps it hot, and 2 mugs full, what ever strength you make. I grind it at home the day before I go, premessured and have the little single foiled packs as back up

Nissan Insulated French Press video

10. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

11. So Pat, I'm interested in purchasing the Planetary. Is it as user friendly as it says on Amazon. How long do you let it steep? I am only a morning coffee drinker and like mine on the lighter side of taste. I have a Kerug and usually use one pod for 2 cups of coffee and mix them together. Lately I've been using coffee grounds as the flavor is better and I can control the taste better than with the pods. Plus it is more earth friendly this way vs the Kcups and disposing of them.

"Simply, pour hot water over coffee grounds or loose leaf tea, let steep, push stopper down and enjoy the best brew around. No need to pour into a separate container, you can drink right from the pot. The mug presses are ideal for the coffee or tea connoisseur that doubles as an outdoor enthusiast or professional on the run."

If so this would be great for me. Looking for something to take camping and on the road for our trip to IRG.
    I could also see using this at work, as I don't like the coffee the cafeteria serves.

12. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Usually about 4 minutes does the trick. We used our sons press last year and liked the simplicity. Clean up was a bit of a pain, but not terrible. We're in the market for a press as well, since our son took his with him to China.

13. Thanks Ken & Peggy. If you figure out one that is a must have I'd be interested as to why. I figure I have a couple of months to either research more or just bite the bullet and buy one, play with it to see if I like it or not.

Is the clean up a pain d/t the grounds or something else?

14. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Hi Tina,
    I like a stronger cup in the morning so use about 2 tablespoons of coffee drip grind. Later in the day I might do a 1 tablespoon cup. And I do steep about 4 min. The cleaning issue is just getting rid of the grounds. I plan to add a jar scraper to the utility drawer to help with this. If I could scrap the coffer out and then wash it would be easy. I use mine at home when I want a cup that I can make quickly and have light or dark. It also works great if you want to add a spot of ginger or cinnemon or cardamon - I put it in first then the coffee.

15. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Yep, it's the grounds. I'm thinking that the right sized/shaped spatula could be a big help with getting most of them 'scraped' out before using any water. I'm thinking we will wind up doing the same with a new press - researching a bit and then just buying one and see how it works out.

16. Bunni

Bunni Novice

I got one of thesehttp://www.rei.com/product/726094/msr-mugmate-coffeetea-filter as a gift. Gota have a good cup of joe in the morning. Instant coffee yuk. It is as simple as you can get, works great! I make my coffee in my designer camp-inn coffee mug :cool:
    Store the filter in the mug when I'm done. Compact takes up no space ... rinse the grounds out with water and store.

Benn

17. Thanks everyone for the words of wisdom. Benn that filter looks similar to the one I use in my Kerug. Might have to keep that in mind also to try.

tina

18. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

Tina, had a cup of the "Blonde" at Starbucks today and liked it, so bought a 12-pack of the instant. Thanks again for the tip. Kathy

19. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

the Starbucks instant is a LOT better than other instant

agreed that brewed is better, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I keep instant on hand for such emergencies. I'll even drink a cold CAN of Starbucks espresso doubleshot, if the need arises

-Al

20. Kathy - it's one of my favorites! I just saw Taget had 12-14oz packages for sale this week for 7.99. Buy 2 and get a $5 gift card. I use the loose coffee for my Kerug. I like the instants for work, one of the packs usually makes 3-16oz cups of coffee for me.

Al - Wow is all I can say, I'd be so hyper and jittery if I did the doubleshots...