Single cup coffee makers

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Tom Ruggles, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Deb

Deb Novice

We have a small Keurig for the camper. Fits nicely in one of the galley storage bins. We use that when we have electricity. We also have a lovely French press for those times when we don't have a hook up. Got it REI, I believe. Both made a great cup of coffee.

2. Tom Ruggles

Tom Ruggles Novice

Are you guys telling me that the one-cup coffee makers have to have shore power, or can they be powered off the battery?

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

They need shore power.

4. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

good reminder!!!

5. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

Those will murder your battery pretty quick!

7. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Maybe...don't know as I'm not a coffee drinker. However, for those who have the ability to charge their battery from their tow vehicle, a short time hooked up with the TV running should keep everything going. Or just plug it into your TV with the TV running.

:cool:

8. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

I guess so, but the percolator or italian expresso maker only uses propane. But if I gotta idle tv then it's burning gas. If you make a quick trip, and starting the tv to drive it could make sense. Those 12v coffee pots are mainly for truckers because they idle all night anyways so what's the diff? Rather use a small Italian expresso maker on propane stove then worry about power issues, but to each their own! Don't get me wrong, I have a keurig at home and use it daily, but honestly it's too much luxury to camp, it's like bringing a microwave or a dishwasher. But, then again, a lot of us tote along a fridge! Hmm.

9. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Hmmm...not drinking coffee makes it a whole lot easier! Also don't have a fridge or other appliances...or AC...or Fantastic Fan...

About as high tech as we get is the 12v mattress warmer & 12v/110v/battery fan...and maybe the laptop for a movie. :D :D

10. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Can anybody say 'solar panel'? :)

11. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

Could you spell that please? Could you use it in a sentance?

12. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Um...no... :D

13. mewton

mewton Novice

I'm with you Betsey, simple is good and camping should be simple. That's why I suggested the Turkish coffee pot, doesn't get much simpler than that.

Ok, I just have to tell a story at this point and I'm sure most of you have seen something similar. While camping on the Olympic peninsula coast we came back to our campsite to see strange new neighbors. A huge white storage trailer, no windows, just made to carry stuff. Well these people spent most of the afternoon hauling toys, tarps, grills, generators and junk out of that trailer until their campsite looked like a flea market. I think they eventually slept in the now empty (I hope) trailer but I couldn't understand wanting to camp that way. I always enjoyed tent camping and backpacking and keeping it simple but I also like to move around a lot and the ground just isn't as soft as it used to be for some reason, go figure. The teardrop solves that but only if you keep it simple. Just my two cents, and two cents isn't worth very much nowadays. ;)

14. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

Greg, I am with ya in heart on that point. The KISS method.

No you folks that saw me last year at CI CO don't be gufawing now. Wait till ya see me this year. Its worse. That is the problem when you camp to cook. Oh well some day it will be simpler. Sighhhhhhhhhhhhh

15. Trippster

Trippster Novice

Hi all,
    Happy thanksgiving!
    I am working on our Christmas shopping, namely a Keurig single cup coffeemaker. I know this isn't making camping simple, but we will simplify in other areas.
    My question is will the coffeemaker fit in the top shelf area of the galley with the hatch closed? The dimensions are    11.5"H x 6.7"W x 10.5"D.
    We do not have our TD yet, but would like to make a decision beforehand. Can anyone tell us if they think it will fit?
    Thanks all!
    Ken

16. Trippster

Trippster Novice

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  17. rockytopsc

rockytopsc Novice

Ken
    We have a Keuring we use with ours but it's a different model than this one but still the smaller type. At camp we leave it in the area where the cooler sits and it is fine there. Ours will not sit on the top shelf closed. I'm away but there is only maybe 5 or 6 inches off the top of my head on the left side available.
    Jason

18. Trippster

Trippster Novice

Thanks Jason. When traveling, do you carry it in your tow vehicle?

19. Deb

Deb Novice

We have a single serve Keurig and love using it. We stow it in the bottom right bin when we're traveling. Doesn't fit inside the small compartment on the right, nor do we leave it standing on the 'counter' when traveling. Each trip we continue to narrow what we take with us, so there is plenty of room for something like this!

20. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

Bear you are the modern man! :cool: Primitive would be chew the raw beans and then pour firey hot water as a chaser, assuming that you had discovered fire....