Screen house - mosquitoes

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Monica, May 20, 2012.

1. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

I have a First Up, which is Walmarts brand of choice.
    1. after initial set up, I leave the tent on the frame and close it up. It and the side walls fit fine in the carry bag. This way you dont have to mess with the tent again.
    2. I feel the most difficult thing is set up. especially as it gets closer to being fully open.. I also stake 1 corner and then work the other 3. It helpd.

2. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

That's one of the nice things about the EZup, the tent is attached to the frame so you don't have to mess with it putting it on/taking it off every time.

:cool:

3. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Agree on the push pins. Only thing that I found to help, other than a screw drive is to push the item up a little and then push.

The ones with the rings are the best. Also hava snap which is nice too. I too, just leave the tent attached and fold the legs with the canopy on. I do notice there are some "wear spots" but nothing too bad...

Just take it slow and easy, on corner at a time...

4. Jim 2011

Jim 2011 Novice

This started out as a discussion on Screen Tents. We have been in Alaska and Canada for almost 4 weeks now, generally moving daily but with frequent stays of 2 or more days. We have met every make and model the mosquito factory makes and have contributed more DNA to the gene pool then the Red Cross. Regardless of one's interpretation of camping, protecting yourself up here is an absolute necessity. We set up the side tent every night. It provides a buffer zone that you can change in and still be reasonably protected. An aerosol spray of 25% Deet helps a lot. But in order to sit outside you really need a screen tent. We got one from REI, I think it was called the screen house. Cost around $200 but we also got the rain cover which added another $75 or so. Mary Anne and I can put it up in less than 15 minutes and take it down in even less. We spray ourselves and burn a coil (also from REI) to work in the galley but the screen house saves our sanity. If "bad mosquitoes" means 10-12, fine. But if it means hundreds fighting each other for a place at the table you are in The North and you will kiss your shelter's bottom if it keeps them out.
    Jim