Screen house - mosquitoes

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Monica, May 20, 2012.

1. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Thanks for the kind words! :)

Jean pretty much covered it (no pun intended!)but I'll add my insights (for what they are worth).

We have an EZ-Up that we take with us if we are going to be in one campground longer than a few days or if we aren't certain what the weather will be. If we are touring (different spot every day) or if the weather is looking good for the weekend, we don't use it. Same with the side tent.

I also have opportunities to travel/camp by myself. Due to wrist surgeries, I no longer have the strength to put up the EZ-Up by myself. So, I had Craig pick up an REI Alcove & a set of sidewalls, based on the recommendations here on the forum. I can easily put it up on my own & still have shade or rain protection while I am cooking/eating. If the weather necessitates the use of the side walls, I have them. It is fairly lightweight & takes up very little space - no more than the side tent.

As for storing, they both travel in the car. When we travel, we usually keep the bed free from stuff. Big exception is the Camp-Outt, when we are having to haul A LOT of stuff! But at least that isn't far from home. ;)

:cool:

2. nwhiker

nwhiker Novice

I was trying to have a little fun with the pun intense. I have no way of knowing how many tents people take with them. If you have to use more than two it would seem to take away from the fun of camping.

I was amused by the teardrop in the tent. In my opinion if it the conditions are so bad that you a tent to put teardrop in its time to find a better place to camp. Dave

3. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

THe extreme weather conditions, rain, snow, sleet, occurred during weekend that was planned 6 months in advance and after traveling about 8 hours to south central Illinois late April 2011.

Hail occured Memorial Day weekend 2012.

Easier to be prepared, then to pick up and move. Part of the experience, Adapt and overcome.

4. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Sooner or later you are going to get hungry and have to get out of that cozy little tear. In bad weather, that's when a tent comes in handy.

5. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

I knew there was a reason we didn't leave until Saturday! :D

6. slumry

slumry Novice

I can't think of too many places you can't get pizza delivered. :grin:

7. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Sue and I just picked up a Coleman Instant Screened Canopy, 11" x 11" at Costco for $79. It is light weight and sets up quick. Has two zippered openings and is big enough to fit over our 550. Taking along some 25# weights to hold it in place. Will be giving it a try when we go to Kings Canyon in a few weeks.

Jim

8. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

Because we admire you so much, Jim, (even thought we won't actually meet you until IRG), we picked up one yesterday. Had to convince Bob that we could actually take TWO shelters - the Coleman and the REI Alcove - AND the side tent in the car, that each would have a purpose. After we struggled at Mossyrock(as Norm and Peggy can attest) to set up a cheapy one we've had for years but rarely used because the the poles kept falling apart, we're willing to try this.

Kathy

9. Jim and Sue L.

Sue and I put the Coleman Screen Tent up in a snap, we didn't even get into an argument. The best part is the poles are attached, and its light weight. Our EZ-UP can be a pain to set up.

Jim

10. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

THAT is a major selling point - maybe THE selling point!

Kathy (and Bob agrees)

11. Jim and Sue L.

Yes. When the EZ-UP goes up and down there is a lot of swearing going on. Sue not me, I wouldn't use such language around a lady, well maybe under my breath so she can't hear it!

And Bob agrees, smart man.

Jim

12. Jim and Sue L.

Look what he gets into when I'm not around!

Yes I do swear..and damn well, I might add. But then I'm part Maltese and we just LOVE to turn the ozone purple.

And the EZ-UP is easy up.

Sue

13. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

I agree Sue. It is easy up! It is the down part I always struggle with, and I have to watch my tongue, what with the young ears and "parrot syndrome" around here. :) Ha!

14. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

My experience would be just the opposite - up is not, down is a piece of cake. :D

But, it does make a difference which canopy you use. Our older (like 10 years) EZup (which was stolen last year) was a beast to put up or down. The one we have now, a newer design but still 4 or so years old, is much easier to put up & down. However, for me, I hate the up part when doing it by myself.

Of course, being vertically challenged definitely does not give an advantage... ;)

15. Jim and Sue L.

Know what you mean. Most of them seem to need at least two folks to work well.

Now let's have Jenn chime in here. She's been flying solo so long (that's catchy) and has one of these butterfly type shelters things. Darned if I know how she does it all by her lonesome.

Sue

16. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Not sure if I'm reading the EZ put-up/Take down right but it's not that bad. I do it all the time. Basically "Walk it" and one pole at a time.
    Slide out of the case, tip to balance it gently on one corner, walk it out a little at a time, change corners as needed. Then if you can get underneath, push the center pole to expand it out rocking a little so as not to bend the legs.

Once out at reasonable opening, extend the legs nearest the Drop to clear the top. Then gently walk it back to cover and extend the other two poles.
    Adjust as needed

Take down, same, drop the two outside corners then walk the tent away from the drop. Drop (un pop the little push/pins) and balance it on one corner and walk it closed.

Just set up a system and "Walk it" don't push it.. one corner at a time.
    Hope that helps... I do it all the time... I'm in Seattle, where we carry them ALL the time.. heheh, it rains up here too...

17. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Frank,

For me it's not the opening or closing of the framework, it is the pushing up/locking of the roof buttons on each corner. I just don't have the strength in my wrists. On the taking down, I have to use the handle of a screwdriver, as my nails get in the way, but it works fine.

18. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

I am with Betsey, my experience with Ez ups is they are heavy, difficult for me to use, thus I don't care for them.

19. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

My biggest issue (and I feel like a complete wimp), I have the worst time trying to push those pins back in to get it to go down. That is my biggest issue...I can never do them myself.

20. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

That's why I use a screwdriver handle.

Some of the EZups have a ring that you pull & it releases the button.