Sad Face Episode: Corrosion

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by dirty6, Apr 23, 2021.

1. dirty6

dirty6 Ranger

Life is rapidly thawing in Alaska, and I was eager to get our 560 (Muriel) out of the storage center it has been locked in for nearly 7 months. For the past two winters, we have stored the camper in a shipping container (connex). There's a local facility that bought 50 containers (20 foot size), put a fence around the lot, and rents them for a similar cost per square foot as a UHaul type self storage center.

Last year, we had no issues at all. Sadly, it looks the like the roof of the shipping container developed condensation that dripped down onto the camper all winter and left some less than pretty corrosion spots.

I really don't want to get into the polishing rabbit-hole...

2. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

A scotchbrite pad is your friend. Get a fine pad, mix a few deops of dish soap in some water. Lightly rub the pad in the direction of the grain of the aluminum, and then rinse with water.
    It should blend in the corrosion spots. It will be a bit shinier than the surrounding surface, but over time will almost disappear.

PrairieVikings likes this.
  3. dirty6

dirty6 Ranger

Thanks! I'll likely be giving that a shot this weekend!

4. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

Completely agree with this solution. You don't want the corrosion to continue. If the shinnyness doesn't match don't even worry about it. Get rid of the corrosion and eventually it will blend. Sad that it happened but have to move on.