Suggestion Removal of "For Sales" Post after a certain amount of time

Discussion in 'Improvements & Suggestions' started by Jim Carter, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Jim Carter

Jim Carter Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Hi All,

I have noticed that often "For Sale" posts simply seem to be abandoned without notice of sale or some other outcome.

Would it be possible to somehow make the posts automatically "inactive' or "deleted" after a certain amount of time without originator activity? Say one year? six months? some other time length?

I am sure that I may not be thinking of all cases where this might not be a reasonable reason for no action but it seems a bit cruel to potential buyers that a wonderful Camp Inn 'may be' still available.

Just throwing this out there.

Jim

Lipster likes this.
  2. Jim Carter

Jim Carter Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Reading is a wonderful thing. . .

I just read that one of the rules on the For sale/wanted area is that "Unmaintained" posts will be marked expired.

But no time line is given for that action but it seems to be a rule that requires action by an administrator.

I guess I was wondering if this can be automated.

Jim

dustinp likes this.
  3. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

This is a very good idea, IMHO.

Riot likes this.
  4. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

I agree, many of the For Sale items Owners have been offline for 6 months or more. I always look to see their activity.

5. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

It's a great idea, but I always find myself wanting to give the benefit of the doubt to the lister that their trailer's still around. I try to watch for a few unanswered requests for info...
    As for automating a deactivation of the post after a certain amount of time - you might as well ask me to speak Mandarin. It's WELL beyond my ability.

LisaNKevin likes this.
  6. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Dunno, 8 think to post in the for sale section you need to be active member. Too many 1 post wonders there :(

as a Unix admin, I’ve done a lot of shell scripting…..I’d be happy to look into this, I just need a PM with the name of the software and the version….and if you know what operating system it’s running on, I can look into this….