Pure Sine Wave Versus Modified Sine Wave For Electric Space Heater?

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Ben, Dec 12, 2022.

1. SethB

SethB Ranger

I’m not using a fridge, only repeating what I’ve read & heard.

Some folks use their fridge as a freezer. Maybe a few ice cream sandwiches, some cube ice for beverages, some frozen entrees. They also freeze blue ice or yeti ice, then use that in a cooler.

Does the Dometic run down to freezing temps? I think i first heard this method from a family member who runs an ARB as a freezer for their sprinter camper.

Kevin likes this.
  2. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

Yes, the Dometic can be set to freeze or refrigerate but not both.

3. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

I’ll be there the last week of April. I’ve been there in the same time frame the last 6 years and temps tend to be 70s to 80s with nights in the 40s. Usually pretty pleasant. When I originally tested the Dometic in the house it pulled right at 220 watts for 24 hours. I don’t see it pulling any less once I get there. But there will be some dappled light so it will be interesting to see just how well the rooftop will pull. I have a Victron controller which has an app that tracks daily input so I’ll be able to see max wattage pulled during the day as well as total watts pulled daily.

It will be a good test. Especially knowing I do have sogen backup.

Kevin likes this.
  4. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

One of the nice things about the Ecoflow Delta2 is the AC rapid recharge rate. 0-80% charge in 50 minutes, and 100% in 80 min.
    Most of the others seemed to take anywhere from 4-8 hrs. Several reviewers thought that was just ad hype going into their reviews, but were pleasantly surprised when they found it lived up to its claim. (Lot less babysitting time):)

5. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

That’s true but with a caveat. If you set it to the fastest charge you are pulling a high level of amps. I don’t recall off the top of my head the exact number but it is high. As a single draw on a house line it’s not a problem. I’ve done it before at home. However, if you want to charge it in a public location you probably shouldn’t set it to the max without knowing what the line can take. With everybody plugging in nowadays I’d guess you could easily blow the breaker which wouldn’t be too cool.

6. dustinp

Good point. I don't suppose that would make you too popular, would it :eek:

7. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

No, probably not. LoL But ideally you won’t wait until you’ve run it down to empty. In the perfect world you top off with solar an hour or two at a time when you know you will be around to watch it. At least that’s the theory I’m going with.

8. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

I think I found the solution to my power needs. Especially for the F150 Lightning in winter...

Unfortunately I have to leave the CI at home.

Attached Files:

9. Ben

Ben Ranger Donating Member

I think you could make it work - if you removed the axel of the teardrop and welded the teardrop to the top of that generator and with some ladders it could be perfect. While running the genny you'd get the benefit of vibrating the rig - sort of like those beds in cheap motels where they'd charge a quarter to vibrate your bed for a few minutes.

Oh wait, is this a battery or generator?? If a big battery, scratch the vibration but at least you won't have to worry about carbon monoxide.

Kevin likes this.
  10. Ben

Ben Ranger Donating Member

So I got a 1000 watt inverter for Christmas and took it out this weekend for the first time. It worked well to briefly run the ceramic heater but was better suited in terms of energy consumption with the electric throw blanket. I also supplemented the heat with a water bottle. We were dispersed camping with temperatures in the mid teens and windy. It was hard to muster the will to leave the warmth in the morning and I slept well. The coolers went into reverse mode - trying to keep things from freezing.
    The inverter does work well and the cut outs in the cabinets make it easy to temporarily run the wires.

Attached Files:

Kevin and dustinp like this.
  11. dustinp

So this was touched on a little in some previous posts, but wondering if anyone has worked out a wiring mod that allows the sogen to power both the 12VDC and 110 V AC power requirement for the CI without powering the charger and eating up the sogens power by trying to recharge the partially depleted CI battery with it? Just didn't want to try ot reinvent the wheel if someone has already worked this problem out.

Kevin likes this.