Portland to Yosemite camping

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Mick'nSarah, May 15, 2014.

1. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Hi everyone!

I am headed to Yosemite for some camping next month and we thinking of stopping in to see some friends in the Shenandoah Valley. I am not sure if the timing is going to work with their schedules, so I am looking for ideas of campgrounds between here and there that will break up my trip. Planning to take I-5 south for a good chunk of the trip, so we thinking about Lassen or the like. Not sure if there are good back roads from there. We often like bigger/faster roads as the 6-year old only enjoys so much beauty over just wanting to be there (and mom can only take so many "Are we there yets?").

Do folks have ideas for me? I don't mind getting further south than Lassen also. We have passed it a few times and it looks interesting. Would love your thoughts!

Thanks!

2. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Take Hwy 89 south near Mt Shasta to McArthur-Burney Falls SP. Great campground there near a beautful waterfall. Lassen Volcanic Park is also a great place to camp. Lots of sights to see in the park. To keep your son interested take him to Subway caves an above ground lava tube, bring your flash lights. Also The Allen Telescope Array at Hat Creek, run by SETI Institute. In Redding there is the Sundial Bridge and Turtle Bay Exploration Park. No camping but a children's paradise(Turtlebay.org). Another place he might like is The California State Railroad Museum in Old Town Sacramento.

Jim