Pop-up Cabin Use?

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Diver Bob, Nov 25, 2023.

1. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

Hi 6,
    Our experience has been with the top edge of the Clam's main door opening directly over the galley door hinge line or slightly forward of it, the wind flaps of the Clam main door zipped together into one flap draped over the top of the CI, and the main door screen unzipped and hanging down the sides of the CI, we've seen rain being gathered on top of the wind wall flap and shedding down the sides of the CI, keeping the galley pretty well dry. Some will run down the channel outside of the galley door seals and gather on the ledge that the bottom edge of the galley door rests on when closed, but none in the galley cupboards or storage cabinets, etc. Haven't tried the Gazelle yet to see if there are any significant differences.
    Hope that helps, but YMMV.

2. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

I’ve tried many options over the galley but keep coming back to the out of production REI Alcove with wind walls. I bought 2 before they came unavailable. I’ve stayed dry during many rain showers.

Attached Files:

Kevin likes this.
  3. dirty6

dirty6 Ranger

Yup, we have used an REI Alcove - mostly too small for the 5 of us, and we have not bought the bungee cords to make the makeshift “rafters,” so heavy rain is challenging. For just the two of us after the kids fly the nest, this might work better.

We can get the G6 nestled over the CI gallery hinge and that works ok, but it eats up some of the space inside the G6. What I really wanted was to extend the awning over the top of the galley door to make a sort of open air tarp over the galley. We had a challenge connecting it anywhere and/or making it taut enough to work right.

imgur.com

Kevin likes this.
  4. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

Nice setup! I see what you're trying to do, but don't have any good ideas on how to accomplish that.

It does take up some of the interior space, but personally we like the galley inside so we don't have the bugs & critters to contend with while cooking.
    We normally have 2 large sling chairs with small (about 1 sq ft) folding tables along side them, and 2 director chairs with pull up side tables set up around the perimeter in ours. Also a large (43" X 28" ) Alps roll up table normally sets in the middle. We also have both the CI tables attached, with the extension bar on the larger one, and the fridge on the small one so it's under cover.

We usually like to pull the director chairs up to the table for dining, but could use the pull up tables on them just as easily. We frequently have 4 inside to dine comfortably, and if we didn't have the large roll up table in the middle, another directors chair would easily fit in to make room for 5 if we used the side tables for dining. If the all the chairs weren't in there, the typical campground picnic table would also easily fit inside, which would seat about 6 comfortably if everyone wanted to eat or play games together at the same table. Just my 2 cents worth. YMMV

Kevin likes this.
  5. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Thanks for that picture, dirty. Really helps to visualize.
    The NB12x12 we have is good for sweaty weather as its screen mesh allows some air-in, exhausted out vented top. I can slide the whole tent forward to drape just at the door hinges, for the equivalent of side tent privacy, awnings down, which leaves a tight fit for two chairs inside, including the side table,
    Or
    I slide it back so the back edge of tent drapes at galley hinge, and that allows 4 to easily sit around a table inside of screens.

This is the "florida screened room" that lets us stay in hot places longer,
    but since its a traditional four sided exterior frame its a 30-60 min long setup by one person, if you double up the guylines (as I did leaving it in a piney campground with squall lines passing thru- withstood 30kt gusts.)

There is no roof tarp, but there is a zippered footprint, (which I have yet to use)
    that would help with bugs getting in with the breeze, or creepy crawlers in the desert.

The NB12x12 packs down a bit more compact than the G6 bag in their website video, but that latter looks like it would handily go in the cabin while traveling, or in storage in a bigger TV.

If I can find room, I think the G6 is gonna be our 3-season extender on the cold shoulders, at some point.

Its currently sold out in the coyote brown cooltop, but other versions are on sale...and I notice there is a popup on website inviting one to provide phone number to be on the insider info list for product availability.

Hmmm...wonder if I can get it in Real Tree desert camo?
    Realtree Edge

9 Camo Patterns You Should Know About - Pew Pew Tactical

Beta tester!
    ;)

PS: they offer GOVX discount too!
    GovX ID Military Discount

PS2: for fun I contacted G6 customer support; nope, no plans for camo...

Last edited: May 29, 2024
  6. Bruce O

Bruce O Novice

I have an Alcove too but never thought of the orientation like you have in the picture. I always set mine up so the rain runs off to the sides rather than onto the trailer. Does it work better that way... any reason you do it that way?

7. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

We prefer the width to be side to side. And with the galley closed it does a better job preventing rain intrusion into the galley area. At also leaves a smaller opening when placed side to side with the side wall up as pictured. Hope this helps.