Furnace Poll: Furnace Or Not???

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by Evan, Sep 1, 2010.

?

Propane furnace????

1. Yes! The furnace is a lifesaver in cold weather

15 vote(s)
    28.8%
  2. No - just buy a cheap space heater

19 vote(s)
    36.5%
  3. No - only camp in warm weather

3 vote(s)
    5.8%
  4. Not sure...

15 vote(s)
    28.8%
  1. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Here it is: the official furnace poll...

So what do you all think?

2. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

We ordered the furnace. Living in the NW with the wet and the cold (especially this summer), we felt that it was necessary. Can't say we have had the pleasure of using it yet, but we are looking forward to firing it up! I think it is all dependent on where you are going with your trailer and your planned use. We plan to be up in the mountains all year, so it made sense to us, especially if we need to dry out ski gear and the like.

On a side note, sounds like our trailer will be started either this week or next in the wood shop! We are getting closer!

3. Evan

We used the furnace for over three weeks total of winter camping during our first winter. We wouldn't have been camping without it (unless I wanted to camp without my wife). For us, having the furnace means we can use the trailer year round, which effectively doubles its value. This winter, I've got a season pass to our local ski resort and plan on at least 20 to 30 nights on the mountain.

4. Kenster

Kenster Newbie

Evan, you are truly a heavy duty, four season teardrop camper - 20 -30 nights winter camping...WOW! For this kind of camping, a furnace IS a necessity.

5. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

I am pretty warm blodded, and kick the covers off most of the time, but I am also a 4 season camper. I have no problem camping when the water is solid LOL.

6. Oysterpot

Have a question on furnace? Do you need shore power to run it?
    It has a blower correct? Do they offer (they being mfg)an electric furnace? I think the ceramic 1500w unit would just about blast ya out.

7. ronolga

ronolga Newbie

We use the furnace to pre-heat the inside before we go to bed then turn it off for the rest of the night. Then turn it back on just before we get up in the morning. We did do some camping in below zero weather last year and set the thermostat to 60 degrees and the heater cycled on and off all night. A bit noisy but it was cozy. You do have to make sure that the pillow(s) don't obstruct the heat vent.
    We wouldn't be happy without our furnace.

8. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

Solid water is not for us. Thawing water for coffee is a no-no. If the low temp. is going under 50o we WILL camp where we can plug in and use the cheap space heater. We set it at 68o, get naked and are cozy under the Hudson Bay even if it snows. A ceramic space heater is more than enough with the windows & roof vent cracked open.

We don't camp from Dec. through Feb. North of Miami.

Hilditch

PS: We have the whole lower storage compartment for our cords, chocks, leveler wrench, fire tripod, tools & stuff. We also have propane in the morning for coffee with our 'cute' 11# tank.

9. dpnel

dpnel Novice

We do the same as Ron & Olga stated. Years of camping thats what we have always used is a furnace not saying thats a correct way just our preference.

Dave & Linda

10. Oysterpot

That is what I am looking at, If you have to be "plugged in" to run the furnace, why add insult to injury and burn your vital (for coffee) propane. The electricity comes with the camp site, so why not use it? I use a space heater in my 25' hybrid, and it does a nice job keeping the chill off. The only thing I use my on board propane for is to keep the refrigerator cold while traveling from one oint to another.
    Hopefully soon I won't have that big thing, but till its gone I gotta use it. PS I do carry a 20# tank to cook with but separate from the camper.

11. Evan

The only thing on a camp-inn that requires shore power is the AC. The blower for the furnace runs off of the battery, but I think you will run out of propane before your furnace wears your battery down.

12. Bazza2154

Bazza2154 Novice

Although I would have liked to have the furnace i felt the space was more valuable in the front compartment as I want to try and keep the bed area clear as much as possible during traveling.

13. Oysterpot

OK that answers 2 of my questions. It is a 12 volt appliance, and it is rather ravenous with the propane. thank you.

14. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

George,

Not ravenous at all. I don't think that is what Evan was implying. We have fount it for most people to be a almost incalculable fuel usage. The reason for this is because of the strength of the furnace you only run it a few minutes to run the cabin like Ron and Olga pointed out. With a camper this small it just does not run long enough typically to factor in the fuel use.

Cary

15. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

I have to agree with Cary. A normal person will be cooked out of the Camp Inn long before running out of propane. The battery will run down before propane runs out. The furnace is too large for teardrops.

Jean

16. Evan

Cary's correct - I was trying to say that the effect of the furnace on the battery not very noticeable.

17. Cary Winch

Oh, on a side note. We found a trick on not freezing regulators. We install them upside down now. That allows the condensate to not freeze the diaphragm in place at below freezing temps. So, much for following the directions. We find so many things in life that require not following the directions, don't we?

Cary

18. Oysterpot

Oh please I have been fighting this battle for 46 years. Always read and follow the directions!!!! (then behind her back throw them away)

19. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

OK, Cary, one other thing to change prior to arrival this afternoon. It's all your fault.

Jean

20. Cary Winch

Um, yours doesn't have a furnace you know.