Air Conditioner Poll: Ac Or No Ac

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by Evan, Mar 5, 2010.

?

Air Conditioning?

1. Yes - gotta have it

31 vote(s)
    68.9%
  2. No - never use it

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. Doesn't matter (an Android not affected by climate)

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

So, would you recommend the AC option to a new owner?

This is an important choice to make when creating your build because it cannot be added later.

Please cast your vote and then tell us why.
    The more reasons you can provide to back up your decision the better. Hopefully this can be helpful to new owners who are putting together their builds.

2. Evan

Although we live in the mild Northwest we went with the AC because there is that week or two in the year where it will be very handy.

3. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

I grew up in a fairly humid climate without AC and was fine with just a fan. Same when I lived in desert areas. Our teardrop doesn't have AC, as it wasn't an option at that time. It doesn't have a vent fan either (same reason). We do have a nice fan that has the option of being powered by 110, 12v or batteries.

There was a time when not having AC didn't matter to me. However, due to changes in health related issues, an AC is now sometimes necessary for me when we are traveling. Fortunately, we have the option of using one of the rentals for those trips.

You really have to ask yourself two questions:

1) "Is AC a medical necessity?"

2) "What will help me be the most comfortable for where I will be spending most of my camping time?"

I would recommend, just like Craig & Cary do, that customers get either the vent fan or the AC (or both, if they want). It is much harder to cool down a teardrop than it is to warm it up.

Another thing to consider, the vent fan or AC also makes it more comfortable when it is hot/humid and you are not comfortable leaving your doors open at night.

4. Dave

Dave Novice

We live in Florida. You gotta have it down here in the summer.

5. Steve & Ellen

Steve & Ellen Novice

I rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
    I think it is off the shelf, not a custom unit. It does not hurt the looks and you only have to buy it once.
    Steve

6. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

For what it's worth, I have yet to hear of a customer who got it and regretted it but I have heard several who did not get it and wished they had.

7. Oysterpot

Oysterpot Moderator Staff Member

I don't know of a portable A/C like you have with the heaters.
    This being said I would definately want A/C for those days you can't open the windows (rain), but pass on the furnace. My PUP is rigged that way.

8. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

We do not have AC in our trailer which, for us, is fine. It's obviously a personal preference, but the combination of the optional screen doors and the roof fan keep us very comfortable. If we lived in the South/Southwest we might be singing a different tune, but being Midwesterners our non-AC setup works well for us.
    Ken

9. bherbig

bherbig Novice

We have the AC in our trailer and if it gets that hot up here in Maine we just go out and sleep in the trailer and not the house. I actually gave the AC in the house away because it is so much cheaper to cool the trailer and not the house. We only cooled the bedroom for sleeping anyway.

10. Dan Gallagher

Dan Gallagher Newbie

No AC when camping. driving yes, camping no. But thats up here in the NW. I'm sure its different down south more. And they do look cool(pardon bad pun).

11. We chose not to go w/AC...thought tho if we were down south it would probably be a must. So far our fan blows us out with just setting it on the first speed. Have been in Colorado with it quite warm in the day time and fan was enough as it cools down at night.

tina

12. Cal429

Cal429 Novice

OK, so this seems to be a reasonable thread to ask the question that's been on my mind. I have my 560 on order and didn't plan on getting AC until Cary recommended it. Is the AC propane powered, or electric? AC is generally a pretty heavy energy drainer, so if it is electric, is it usable without shore power?

13. BobB

BobB Novice

AC is electric and runs of shore power only. It will not run on battery due to the high envergy drain you mentioned.

-Bob

14. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

We have customers who have the AC & use a generator for when they are camping where electricity isn't accessible. I know the Honda 2000 generator has been a popular one.

The AC is the only added in option that takes electricity. The rest can run off the battery.

15. wonko

wonko Novice

I've also seen some propane generators for sale. Because I have two small children that may need mid-day naps, I went with the AC (and that it's one of those things that are hard to add later). When choosing options, I categorized them between ones easy to add later or hard to add later, and paid special attention to the hard ones to make sure I was sure of my choices.

I chose not to have heat as the trailer is so small and a good down comforter should do the trick.

16. Evan

The AC can not be added later.

17. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Evan is correct. It requires a different set up for the cabinetry, as well as cutting a hole in the roof & running drain lines. That's why it needs to be put in when the cabin is built. Craig did do an AC retro fit on an older model quite awhile back as a trial. Required cutting a vent hole & totally ripping out& redoing the cabinetry. Although it was successful, Craig decided it required far too much work & $$ to make it a worthwhile option.

18. wonko

wonko Novice

Sorry, I did not mean to imply that AC would be able to be added later. Yes, I looked at it very carefully as I didn't think it would... same with heat. Not something I would think to add as a retrofit.

I went with the AC but skipped the heat. As the web site notes, It's a tiny trailer that is well insulated, and I must believe it will do as well as a tent.... and you can do quite well in an unheated tent with the right amount of down over you.

19. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Hi Lyle,

Your thought about staying warm in a teardrop is right on. It is much easier to warm one up than cool it down. The furnace works well for those who do a lot of cold or damp weather camping. It is a popular option for many of our customer residing in the northwest & northeast where there is a lot of dampness & they would like a place to be dry.

Most times, an extra blanket is enough. We do have a small ceramic heater with a thermostat & a 12v mattress warmer that do the trick if it gets too chilly. Usually, the mattress warmer is more than enough to take the chill off & doesn't need to run more than 30 minutes. You can turn it on about half an hour before you retire & it's all toasty when you climb into bed.

20. Evan

If you pick up your trailer in the winter, the heater will pay for itself by the time you get home.... :)