Performance Chip

Discussion in 'Towing & Tow Vehicles' started by Randy, Jul 3, 2024 at 1:28 PM.

1. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Installed this $180 performance chip on my 2014 Ram 1500. Claims to add +35hp and +3-5 MPG. Reviews seem to back up the claims but you know how that goes! If true, it will pay for itself very quickly given gas prices in California. If not, I have a very expensive and very cool looking green thingy mounted to my engine !

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2024 at 1:58 PM
    Kevin and dustinp like this.
  2. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

If it turns out the way the Malone tune I had done on my 2005.5 Jetta TDI, it will be worth it. It gave the engine a 30% increase in both HP & torque, along with a modest increase in mpg of about 2-3. If I wanted to pass a car going 55 on a two lane road, a down shift was no longer needed, just push down the peddle, and you'd be lifting off it by the time you got abreast of the car you were passing because you'd already be closing in on 80. I hope you're experience is as good!

Kevin likes this.
  3. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I did a tune on my Bounder. It didn't give me the MPG's and MPH's it suggested....but id definitely made a difference in the shift pattern and climbing hills was much less of a drama event....those V10s LOVE to rev high, but it stopped it and made ME more comfortable :)

I don't think the tune did anything to the engine, I think in my case it was all to the transmission. I held the gear higher so it wouldn't downshift as readily. It would downshift to gear 2 or 3 at a moments notice before the tune. I also had the option of putting a governor on it -- I set it to 70. I have heavy food sometimes, and anything over 70 in an 11,000-pound brick with crappy brakes (you had to stand on them!)

When the bounder was ransacked along with every other RV at the storage yard, they stole the tuner. Hope whoever bought it figures out the governor :)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2024 at 7:58 AM
    Randy likes this.
  4. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

I did a conservative APR1 tune on my Alltrack- makes the itty bitty 1.8l 4cyl like a GTI with 2.0l (about 15% more hg and tq at lower rpm)
    and also upgraded a couple things to make it pull better/turbo cooler-in hot heavy or towing conditions.

The Alltrack is comparable to Outbacks and hoping the engine is a bit more stable, it already has enough to get over the mountain passes and AWD helps extend off the paved roads some but its not like towing with a jeep, 4x4 suv or truck.

Really like seeing people push the envelope further per the original "SUV" off road option.
    Was just watching the Playing With Sticks review again and reminded how excited to camp in the CI 560 baby land yacht some more in near future...
    (family health project is taking priority but we'll git-r-done.)

In the meantime living vicariously on others trips and idly lusting for the articulated hitch...
    and thinking to self
    "Hmmm, Self" wonder if CampingGlampings bar insert for ride height boost could work on the 560...
    ;)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2024 at 9:12 PM
    dustinp and Randy like this.