Patio Umbrella Solution For Galley

Discussion in 'Custom Additions' started by M&L, Apr 24, 2021.

1. M&L

M&L Ranger

I realized the 2-inch receiver option we intended for bicycles is actually WAY more useful for holding a patio umbrella! Works great for shade, and should work very well for a light rain (though we haven't had enough rain to test that yet). With the bottom of the umbrella pole on the ground, it clears the top of the open galley hatch by several inches (and we have the SUV package which raises the height of the trailer by 3 inches). The umbrella has stayed in place just fine with 20+mph winds (the vents at the top of the umbrella help A LOT and I consider them a must!). It does require stepping over the mounting bar or going around when moving from one side of the galley to the other, but this isn't much of an inconvenience at all for us.

I found the umbrella holder on Amazon (Maxxhaul 50102). I think it was more intended for trucks, but it works perfectly for us! The umbrella also came from Amazon (Abba Patio 9ft umbrella). I'm going to add a 1.5-inch rubber cap to the bottom of the umbrella pole to keep the pole from getting scratched up.

Hope somebody finds this useful!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
  2. dirty6

dirty6 Ranger

I really like this, and have considered getting on for myself.

It looks like the umbrella goes all the way through the bracket and rests on the ground, is that right? I'm concerned that on a non-level campsite, with a ground that slopes down and away from the galley, the umbrella would have to sit so much lower that it could interfere with the galley door. Does that make sense? Or am I mis-seeing something?

3. M&L

M&L Ranger

Correct, the umbrella goes through to the ground. A minor slope wouldn't be a big deal, since there's several inches to play with on top above the galley hatch. A big slope would be a problem, but you would also be sleeping at a quite an angle if that were the case. Even so, you could always put a rock or other spacer (boards, upside-down bucket, etc.) under the umbrella to raise it if it were an issue.

4. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

I know myself too well. I'd trip over that and bust an arm and a leg the first time I used it. :eek: :D

Vince G, LisaNKevin and M&L like this.
  5. M&L

M&L Ranger

John, if we start tripping over the bar, I'll have to add trampolines on either side to bounce us right back up! We already jokingly call the umbrella pole a "stripper pole" so the trampolines would fit right in! LOL...

6. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

Mike, you definitely get style points for the creativity. ;)

I love the simplicity and functionality but I absolutely know I'd never survive that bar. I've seen some teardrops with that kind of setup but the hitch was coming out the side of the trailer at the back. Pretty much where the CI side table sets up.

M&L likes this.
  7. dirty6

dirty6 Ranger

Kevin S and M&L like this.
  8. dirty6

dirty6 Ranger

True, though we have been in some gnarly spots in Alaska where the slope falls off quickly from the back of the trailer and one of the rear wheels has to be jacked up fairly high to get the trailer level. But, your point about a bucket or rock is spot on, I can see how that would solve the riddle.

M&L likes this.
  9. M&L

M&L Ranger

Re: "a rock or something..."

Haha, I didn't realize that! That's awesome!!!

10. SethB

SethB Ranger

Also see these threads for the 8’ Sportbrella, used as a smaller/minimalist cover just for the cook:

Lots of opinions on Canopies

Totem Teardrop Tales

When collapsed, it is short enough to travel in the galley. There are many, many ways to add additional shelter to our trailers - the first link above is to a particular post in the 18-page “Lots of opinions on canopies” thread, which might be the record on this site!

11. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

With the 8 foot Sportbrella two people can sit comfortably in the shade but if someone is cooking it is a little crowded. I have been using the 8 foot to which I added a couple of flaps to cover the space at the hinge area. That way rain doesn't get into the galley shelves. It works great but I got a 9 foot to use when the 8 foot wears out. Lol I got my campInn in 2014 because I was tired of putting up a tent. I'm so surprised at the people still putting up a tent even though they have this wonderful camper. Much easier to put up the Sportbrella. Mine sits tight against the hatch when it is up. Bungies keep it in place. I can put down the hatch at night and leave the sportbrella up. Support cords can be attached over the trailer to the hitch area and on the back to the ground if necessary during windy conditions. Of course I have been in such windy conditions that nothing would prevent it from flying away.

Kevin S and skissinger like this.
  12. M&L

M&L Ranger

I can see how the Sportbrella could do well for many people. We didn't go that route for the following reasons:

1.) We don't like things touching our sexy aluminum. Even fabric...things can make microscratches that most people ignore or don't notice, but I do. The patio umbrella solution only contacts the trailer at the 2-inch receiver.
    2.) We already had the side curtains that we could unroll between the hatch and the sides of the galley, so we didn't need any further coverage there (which the Sportbrella can also provide).
    3.) More overhead coverage with the patio umbrella. With the Sportbrella, the center pole is right up against the rear of the trailer. But with the extended umbrella holder and the patio umbrella, the pole is further away from the bumper. This extends the shade or rain protection area, which is a plus for us.
    4.) The patio umbrella unscrews into two shorter halves, so we can still put it away into compact areas.

Regarding tents, we try not to put them up either (other than our 5-second WolfWise potty tent). We have the side tent for the ARB awning and a gazebo tent (Clam/Quick Set/ Gazelle), and we always bring them in the back of the truck, but we only set them up if we really need to (excessive bugs, rain and we want to be outside, or guest campers - some call them kids - crashing at our trailer).

13. KateStark

KateStark Newbie

Wow, that's a clever and creative solution for a patio umbrella! It's awesome how you repurposed the 2-inch receiver option meant for bicycles to hold the umbrella. It sounds like it provides great shade and even holds up well in windy conditions. The umbrella holder you found on Amazon seems to work perfectly for your setup. By the way, I'm also in the midst of renovating my house, and I've been on the lookout for garden furniture for the summer season. I recently came across this garden furniture store that has a wide variety of options. I'm considering giving them a try. If you're interested, you can visit the site URL for more information. They have some cool and stylish pieces that might suit your patio setup.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2023
    Kevin S likes this.
  14. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

a 90 degree bend or hinge of some kind would make it perfect. Allow moving the umbrella closer to the right or left side of the gally --- I'd trip on this and I use the middle of the galley the most...but I love the concept. I need to learn how to weld.

Kevin S likes this.
  15. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

I bot and used the Sportbrella based on a few others' mentions here in forum.

It works in no-to-low breeze with tip stuck in dirt and pole bungee'd to bumper.

And is just enough shade in desert sun to cook and maybe sit scrunched in on the side depending on sun angle.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2023
    SethB and dustinp like this.
  16. SethB

SethB Ranger

I recommend 2 ball bungies and 2 hook bungies for a fairly breezy setup.

The ball bungies stay attached to the umbrella shaft, one for the bumper like Kevin wrote, one for the hatch handle.
    The hook bungies store wrapped around the collapsed umbrella/case, and in use hook from the umbrella “wings” down to the CI fenders.

This setup gets us through anything short of horizontal rain, when we close the hatch or put up a real canopy!

Just enough coverage to cook or make coffee protected from the NW mists or drizzle. What is this “desert sun” you speak of?

dustinp, Kevin S and Van_and_Terri like this.
  17. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

Brilliant idea! I'm gonna try that!

I look forward to visiting the PNW more.
    The Olympic Peninsula...
    Hoh Rain forest looks mythical...

Remember that NatGeo series with Mick Dodge?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2023