Mattress Options For A Softer Mattress

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by KathleenK, Mar 11, 2024.

1. KathleenK

KathleenK Newbie

I picked up my camper last summer and my first two trips have left me determined to replace the mattress before I sleep in it again. I have it with the softer side up and have added an egg crate pad and a quilted mattress pad AND the Froli system and I am still miserable! I really need something softer, that doesn't raise the mattress so high that I'm banging my feet. I've seen a couple of interesting ideas. One is to put an inflatable camping pad under a mattress topper. The other is to layer 2" mattress toppers.

Has anyone else in need of a softer, more joint friendly mattress found a good option?

Kevin S likes this.
  2. rmbrowder

rmbrowder Junior Ranger

I replaced the campinn foam with a thinner mattress foam, added a firm bottom foam, and had room for a memory foam top. It all fits in the original cover with no additional thickness. Under the mattress I have something similar to the Froli.

Van_and_Terri and Kevin S like this.
  3. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

Did you check to make sure no one left a pea under your mattress?;)
    We have the factory mattress with the firm side down, with a froli system beneath, and a 1 inch memory foam topper on top. Much improvement over the OEM mattress alone, but not quite like our 8 inch memory foam mattress at home. It's such a subjective / individual preference though, it will be hard to make a recommendation that will please everyone.

Van_and_Terri and Kevin S like this.
  4. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

Kathleen, I feel your pain! If you aren't getting a good nights sleep its a no fun day!

I replaced the factory mattress with a "Milliard" 6" memory foam mattress (cited by several in past, available on Amazon now only in 4")
    on top of hypervent.

It was supersoft and multilayered internally, which was ok but not comfy enough for DearWife's back. Too much sinking in...not enough support, esp for big fat me, too.

And my toes are jammed up, (but I side sleep anyway.)

Back sleep kinda Ok if I sleep diagonal but needed to go back down in thickness...for more toe room, with stiffer foam for support.

For me, going back to factory with a padded mattress cover then a thick Teton sleeping bag was enough but DW still not happy camper...she has a bad back.

So, I'm looking for refinements...

I think Froli has a way to customize by softness by two different firmness springs that you can measure and use under hip and shoulder- did you use those?

I'm also thinking on the Froli low-profile for toe room. Anyone use those?

But I'd be interested in your feedback first,
    Kathleen how much did the Froli help, you, incrementally? Worth it?

I agree-Comfort is such an individual thing you have to just experiment, imho- I remember coroprate travel 5 days a week for years in a past life...it still always takes me a day to get used to a new bed...anywhere, including in the CampInn if its been awhile...and how Marriott figured that out first.

I'm thinking the layered idea is next:
    1. a backpacking type thermorest inflatable or stiffer non inflatable backpacking pad under the factory mattress (tape two together side by side?) (These go on top of hypervent or Froli)

2. Then factory mattress
    3. 1" memory foam on top of factory mattress cover.
    4. Wrapped in a quilted mattress pad cover that holds it all together.

(And I really like the idea of the stuffing what works for you inside the factory cover, replacing the factory foam. Brilliant!)

So much easier wrassling ONE unit vs 2-4 layers separately.

Kathleen, You could also leave the bottom 2 feet without the two extra layers so the toe room is a bit better.

Let us know what works, would you please?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2024
    dustinp and KathleenK like this.
  5. KathleenK

KathleenK Newbie

Ok, I'll admit I am a bit of a Princess and the Pea type! It seems like it would be pushing it as far as foot room to go any further than you have gone. The Froli adds height, and with the 1" memory foam on top, you must be at about 6". I also wonder if 1" memory foam would be enough to tame my nemesis. I will keep your comments in mind and appreciate your response.
    So how thick are each of your layers? Also, I've been wondering if the cover on the original mattress perhaps keeps the mattress from forming around the body a little, if you know what I mean.

Kevin S likes this.
  6. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

Yes, on factory mattress- I agree and think same-its pretty good as is but I'm sure it can only form/expand so much within the water resistant cover.

Adding layers beneath/above lets those move to form to you better, as you find the mix that works for you.

7. KathleenK

KathleenK Newbie

I appreciate the in depth response!

I found an inflatable mattress pad on Amazon that is 29" x 78". Side by side they would equal the width of the factory mattress and each person could inflate their side to their preference. Seventy-three per cent of the reviews were 5 stars. The only negatives seem to be from people who had problems with the mattress not holding air, which is alarming. They are sitting in my cart. Can't decide if I should go for them or not. IF they hold air, them on top of the Froli, with a thin topper over them might be wonderful.

I did take advantage of the adjustment options of the Froli.

There is a YouTube video from Couch Potato Camping on making a mattress out of three 2" latex mattress toppers from Naturally Nestled that I found interesting. She had room for a taller mattress though. Currently the softest 2" layer on Naturally Nestled is out of stock unfortunately.

Your next plan sounds like it has a lot of comfort potential but I wonder about the height. I have also thought about having less going on in the foot area but wonder if that will feel weird having a different level down there. I will be interested in hearing the results of your next attempt and will share the results of my own experimentation. I have time to try things before my next scheduled trip. I just want to get to the point where I look forward to getting into that bed instead of dreading it.

Kevin S likes this.
  8. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

Kathleen, you are welcome!

Ya,that inflatable pad sounds like a good idea, esp having two sides to experiment with...can you share the link?

Ya, the leaking is a problem. Even the Thermorest pads can get a hole in rough use. I guess it depends on how used. Car camping in desert under the stars on rock and thorns...maybe a season, if lucky. They came with a patch kit for repairs.

I teased DW early on about the Princess and Pea parable...oddly enough she was less amused than I!

We got a Sleep Number bed years ago just to insulate her from my tossing turning and bigger weight. It has two sides so you can customize to preference.

It works ok- but IMHO all air mattresses have the disadvantage of any balloon- press in one place and it bulges elsewhere...

Not as bad as the cheapo ones for kids sleepovers or family visiting- those I could never get comfortable on.

So I think the key in the CampInn is keeping it thin enough and covered on top with another layer or two that you can customize to preference. That way if it leaks slow you still have cushioning...

I will check out the youtube- thanks for that tip!

Testing out other layers above and below makes good sense to me.

What incremental benefit did the Froli give you?
    Worth it?

I'll give that Klymit inflatable pad a try if you dont first, but it will be a couple months before a test trip. I see its like the old Thermarest- a foam mattress plus inflatable layer all within an outer waterproof cover, so durable and easy to clean, easy to rollup and remove when deflated.

9. KathleenK

KathleenK Newbie

The Froli helped but not as much as I expected, honestly.

Here is the link for that inflatable pad:

https://www.amazon.com/Klymit-Klyma...ackpacking/dp/B086DQWZSN?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

If that should not work for some reason, it's the Klymit Klymaloft Lofted Sleeping Pad in the 29" width. It says it's 5", but I am unlikely to inflate it to the max since I'm looking for softness. When it gets here I'm going to nap on it to make sure I don't have one that loses air. I'll have to do that on both of course. I'll let you know how it works out.

Kevin S likes this.
  10. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

I have seen one customer recently install a latex foam mattress. It is super soft and was his solution. It is a bit heavy and a hassle to wrestle around and such but oooh is it comfy. He used it on top of another firmer mattress. The Latex does not provide adequate support to use on it's own so if you go that route plan a couple inches of latex on top of a more conventional foam.

Cary

Kevin S, KathleenK and Brad D. like this.
  11. Brad D.

Brad D. Novice

Cary - you are correct the Latex was too soft to support hips & shoulders on it’s own. The latex on top of the standard mattress was very comfortable, but the downside was the height being too tall & loosing foot room.
    Plan B is to use the standard mattress bottom 2” (firm) foam, combined with 2” Latex medium top foam, combining support & comfort resulting in the stock 4” height profile. In addition I have added the Froli system underneath. Will report back after my annual 7 day trip to the North Rim Grand Canyon.
    Brad

Kevin S and KathleenK like this.
  12. dustinp

I wasn't as clear on our combination as I should have been, and this may help. I also wanted to preserve foot space, so the Froli system doesn't extend all the way into the foot well, and the firmer ones are in the shoulder area only (I'm mostly a side sleeper and occasional stomach sleeper). I took the foam mattress out of its factory cover, and took a couple inches off the foot end so my toes could hang over the end when on my stomach. The foam topper covers about the top two thirds of the mattress from the head down to just below the hips to preserve foot space as well. We haven't noticed the transition areas when lying on them, but I did have to take out the electric mattress pad heater because the wires bothered the DW. Hope that gives you a a few more options to consider.

Kevin S, Brad D. and KathleenK like this.
  13. Brad D.

Brad D. Novice

Curious if you were able to reinstall factory foam back into the cover after removal?

14. KathleenK

KathleenK Newbie

That's a very good question!

Brad D. likes this.
  15. dustinp

Yes. It's been a while, but I don't recall it being particularly difficult. Kinda like stuffing a sleeping bag into its just barely big enough carry bag, or getting your finger tips all the way into one size too small neoprene gloves .;)

Brad D. likes this.
  16. rmbrowder

rmbrowder Junior Ranger

Perhaps the CI staff have a process sheet for their mattress stuffer.

Kevin S likes this.
  17. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

I have found that a bottle of good wine takes care of any issues with my mattress. Presently living large at Blackwater State Park in Florida.

Kevin Ensign, dustinp and Brad D. like this.
  18. Tom Sutor

Tom Sutor Novice

If you put on a foam or latex topper and there is no room for your big feet, cut the lower foot or so of the foam off. You feet will thank you.

dustinp and Kevin S like this.
  19. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

Kathleen, you got me thinking again- I wonder if you spotted these used/marketed to long haul truckers:
    https://www.amazon.com/stores/North...ef_=ast_bln&store_ref=bl_ast_dp_brandLogo_sto

They make matttreses in a variety of applications, with multiple layers. Not a lot of info on exactly what- but if long haul truckers have a favorite- thats a starting point...
    Breaker breaker @Tour931 you out there, rubber ducky, cmon back....?

I like the idea of mixing and matching different layers of different materials in one's own home brew. The trick is finding material cheap enough to cut down and mix without spending an arm and a leg.

But if ya pay $30k for a new trailer, then getting your custom bed inside done Goldilocks "just right" to enjoy it as most cozy snoozing spot ever...seems a worthy effort and a very good investment...

Let us know on the Klymit- looks like a good mod at low enough price to write off as a good experiment, for "air mattress plus memory foam" integrated layer, as a step in right direction, with ability to adjust by inflation/deflation.

Pretty sure my big fat body needs more support and somewhat less smushy cushion,
    as on the Milliard- it was just too soft, and too thick for toe room at 6".

So I'll be experimenting too...next for me is to pull out the factory innards to insert new home-brewed layers inside...medium/high density yoga mat(s), then memory gel, then super soft smooshy latex,

Cary and Brad D- that latex sounds inviting- while waiting on your North Rim trip, got a hint as to maker or a link, please?

PS:Brad send pics- I spent a couple nights car camping under stars on my big teton cot on the way home to NoDak just before fall season ended, during early 2020 Covid, slow rolling it to avoid catching and bringing the WuFlu home to my 85yr old Mom, in cancer care.

Such a beautiful mysterious place and wilder than the tourist trap on South Rim.

Oops I digressed;

The key here is to understand just what the stuffing actually is: "just foam", "memory" foam, "gel infused" memory foam...latex?

Separating facts from Marketing speak...hmmm.

I should mention I've found tucking a pillow between knees helps my back a lot too- Amazon has firm and shaped pillows for that.

Brad D. and dustinp like this.
  20. Brad D.

Brad D. Novice

https://www.amazon.com/Green-Natura...=1&mcid=ce7d36444e2a34c4a1f1d08bca0a892f&th=1