Not 1, but 2 flat tires...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ken & Peggy, Oct 20, 2023.

1. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

We just had a great 10 days of camping in Pennsylvania, a state we've never really spent much time in but have talked about exploring for a few years now. Spent a couple days in the Hocking Hills area and then made our way north to Lyman Run State Park not far from Wellsboro. A great spot if you get the chance. On our last day there we decided to view the PA Grand Canyon from the side we hadn't yet viewed, so off we went up the somewhat narrow asphalt road.. We moved over for an oncoming truck, briefly leaving the asphalt onto the dirt shoulder and back. That 1 to 2 inch drop was all it took to blow 2 tires. Cut both inside sidewalls. I couldn't find anything that looked like it would have done that - no glass, metal, sharp edge, nothing. We waited 3 hours for a flatbed tow to get us to a tire shop about 25 miles away. While we waited I called 4 shops to learn that none had our tire size in stock, and being Friday afternoon (the 13th) we'd have to wait til Monday. So, we needed a rental car for the weekend. Here's what I think caused the whole mess - the tires are LOW PROFILE! 265 45 R20's on an SUV. Now I wasn't blindfolded when I bought the Passport so there's no one else to blame. But that's not the wheel/tire configuration for this vehicle. I've never had a car with low profile tires and I won't have another. I may swap these 20" wheels for 18's and some normal tires, but have to figure out how to start a GoFundMe first ;) We had an extra few days in a beautiful setting, caught a few more rainbows, and enjoyed the locals of Galeton for a bit longer. And it's a new story to tell! [GALLERY=media, 2491]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2023
    dustinp, Kevin S and Tour 931 like this.
  2. Not to piggyback on your misfortune, but...

I just finished pedalling the Grand Canyon of PA a couple weeks ago. 60 miles of zero grade and a pristine trail surface, with a pleasant overnight at Cedar Run Inn at the exact midway point. I had scoped it, and the area, out several months earlier with 560, staying at Little Pine State Park, which is on the bike path, and decided that the entire was worth it's own trip. Both the Inn and the Park are recommended, along with the Pine Creek Rail Trail. Not to be missed in the area are the historic Wellsboro Diner, and the PA Lumber Museum Pennsylvania Lumber Museum. If you can't or don't want to do that isolated section of the rail trail by bike or foot, you can get a good view of the Grand Canyon from Colton Point State Park, south of Ansonia and east of Wellsboro. Pine Creek Outfitters in Ansonia helped with the shuttle, if one is wishing to do the entire 60 miles, North-to-South, and not retrace any miles.

I'm a big proponent of carrying full-sized spares, for both the TD and TV. But not two of each. That sucks.

Kevin S and Ken & Peggy like this.
  3. Ken & Peggy

We almost brought along the bikes. When we saw the trail we wished we had. The Lumber Museum was very interesting. Our flats occurred on Colton Point Rd as it so happens...

Kevin S likes this.
  4. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Great pictures.

Kevin S and Ken & Peggy like this.
  5. Ken & Peggy

I think a set of 18's are in our future, but not right away (unless something similar happens). We don't do any offroading, so hopefully we won't be in this situation again. Time will tell...

Kevin S and Tour 931 like this.
  6. fdkoh99

fdkoh99 Junior Ranger

I know it probably has something to do with mileage, but not too long ago - wheels were 14 and 15 in. I think Goodyear and Firestone had a conversation something like this - "how can we grow our revenues - I know - lets force people to buy bigger tires, OK - you call GM - I'll call Ford lets have them switch to 18 or 20 inch wheels"

Sweeney likes this.
  7. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

You're starting to sound like me -- I'm sorry. My first car had 14 inch tires...P205/75r14... how can I remember that 30 years later? I know --- I was traumatized at paying $25 a tire in 1988...LOL...good times.