Northern Breeze question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ken & Peggy, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

We've had our NB for about 9 months, and have really only used it 3 or 4 times yet. This weekend we deployed it, as the mosquitoes were out in force - worse than we've ever seen them. I guess this winter resulted in a ton of standing water, making conditions ideal for the nasty predators.

Anyway, I was too lazy to look back at the NB posts to see if a 550 might fit entirely under it, with enough room to set up a couple chairs behind the teardrop. That would be the simplest way to keep the pests at bay, and give us decent movement around the trailer.

I didn't try it this trip as we also had the side tent set up and I wasn't about to spend any unnecessary time in the wild...

2. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Ken, when we were in Florida this last winter we set the NB back a couple feet from the dining table so we could keep it zipped up tight. When it was time to cook we sprayed ourselves down with bug spray, we found it only lasts about half an hour, enough time to prep a meal. Then at least we had a bug free space to kick back and relax in without having to cower in the trailer. Worked for us.

Michael

3. Ken & Peggy

Thanks Jenn! That looks great - I like how you 'wrapped' it over the front of the trailer frame to give yourself a bit of room in back. Did you use something to cover that open area under the propane tank? I'm thinking a bit of netting or even a tarp of some kind would do the trick.

4. Ken & Peggy

Michael, that's kind of what we did this trip. Only we found the swarming too much to handle (even though they did not 'bite'). It really was the worst we've ever seen. Really. :eek:

We still enjoyed the trip - Door County, Wisconsin is a beautiful area. It's got an East Coast feel to it, with Lake Michigan on one side and Green Bay the other. Great hiking and bike trails, paddling opportunities everywhere...

Just a LOT of standing water from the colder/snowier than normal winter.