550 / 560 No Tv?

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by Sweeney, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I regretting selling it about 5 seconds after the ink dried. Since then, I owned a class A and a travel trailer. The trailer was a piece of caca. Literally spent 1/3 of the first year I owned it in the shop. The second year the leaf springs failed.

What kind of problems? Defective electronics, suspension (in addition to the springs) and a fit and finish you’d expect from a Homer Simpson project. the class A was much older….and overall was good quality build. But the maintenance it required, combined with 5MPG mad it about as enjoyable to own as a gum scraping.

Every time you took it out, you were caulking something, or replacing something that broke (old plastic) or chasing down a loose wire so you could put out or worse pull in a slide. The only high side is, I know Rv systems now. Well enough, I’ve considered doing it commercially. With the exception of delamination, and slide out repair, very little scares me. All the big rigs are built by the same low attention to detail…it all looks hard…but it really isn’t.

What I can say, is that the CI build quality is absolutely the best….no one does it the way they do. No one. Even the legendary airstream is build using corner cutting techniques.

I know my old serial was in the 520 range….516 I think. Would be funny if my new serial number was 1016 :)

Randy likes this.
  2. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

The sounds perfect for you ...

I had looked at a couple of other campers, I hadn't seen this model. We went to a gathering where some one showed up with an all aluminum built. Little smaller than yours. Intersting concept, definately would outlast anything coming from the sticks and gel-coat world...

The big problem in the industry is LCI. They gobbled up all the components companies and then reduce cost. Dometic Fridges and Atwood heaters....both failed in my rig. Dexter - they made the axles. So 1 travel trailer wth 3 _major_ systems failing ...thats a pretty bad record. I really don't think Grand Design, the integrator who put it all together was at fault for MOST of the problems we had --- but even their "fit 'n finish" and reliance on staples was pretty shoddy.

CI Definately sets the standard for qulaity...I've been around RV's for the better part of the past 15 years...never have I seen anything better. Of course, if Winnebago, Grand Design, or anyof those companies tried to make the same quality, the rigs would cost 5 or 10 times what they do today. Although I seroulsy would like to know the cost of the bill of materials for a trailer. The MSRP's are rediculously high...they drop 25% at retail asking price...and I know people negotiate even lower than that....

We use ours to replace hotels. I hate not having my own pillow and sheets, also I'm not big on restaurants and hotels....they've all gotten too expensive. When a trip to Denny's costs $40 ... and a night in a cheap hotel is $125 going anywhere is out of my league, and I'm blessed to work in a higher than average paying job.

With a Camp Inn, I get 22mpg and can stay at a state park for $30-40 a night, and I have my own sheets. The only thing I need to do is set up a couple tents for weather and privacy protection. We sold our Class A in May - top end of the market. Since then we've been locked at home -- I can not wait until I have a delivery date. The first thing we'll do is book out a trip somewhere...anywhere...just to get out of the house :)

October? Hope so...Cary said that parts were sometimes hard to get, and the date might move. As long as there isn't salt on the roads...I'll be OK :D

3. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

See thro bought Livin' Light --- too bad. The consolidation in the industry is troubling.

I worry for Elkhart County -- I grew up in St. Joe County, just to the west. When the RV industry stumbles that whole county shakes. When giants fall...

4. Jerry Kemp

Jerry Kemp Junior Ranger

reported as SPAM

Kevin likes this.