Newbie from connecticut

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by dpnel, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Hilditch

Hilditch Novice

Dave,

Our 550 Ultra loaded and wet without breaks is 1,500#s with nothing on the bed. It was 1,278#s dry out of the factory as we drove directly to the nearest truck scale. We added 222#s of stuff to the tear including water.

As I read the specs, a loaded 560 will reach your TV/hitch limits of 1,500/150#s if you add water and nothing else. You can then only add 12 cases of beer in the car & all your numbers will be maxed out.

This is way too tight for my tastes. Remember the TV ratings take into account the springs, shocks, transmission, rear end gears and tires along with who is wagging who. Also, a class I hitch does not give me a warm fuzzy. Sorry Cary.

The bottom line is you can pull a CI with a lawn mower. It just depends on how fast you want to go.

Evan, I bet your pushing 1,800#s wet and loaded if you take a book to read.

Hilditch

2. dpnel

dpnel Novice

OH,OH Only 12 cases of beer I'am done will have to loose some weight somewere maybe a passenger ????. I will have to call cary and find out exactly what the weight is dry that way I will see how much gear I can put into my trailer.

If this does'nt work I guess I will have to fall back to my F150
    which I really dont want to do.

Evan,

From what I have been reading EVERYONE wants to know how heavy is your ci. THE TRUTH !!!

3. Cal429

Cal429 Novice

Well, if I don't keep my numbers up, I'll fall off the bottom (where I now am) of the "last 30-days' posts). So here are some thoughts.

Water weighs 8.33 pounds per gallon. I can't tell you exactly how much beer weighs, (it depends on the gravity of the beer, but only slightly more than water). And the aluminum or glass containers and cardboard and glue for the cases must also be accounted for. Trust Hilditch on this; he seems a pretty technical and precise guy, so he probably weighed a representative sample of his cases of beer before posting. If you haul your beer by the keg when you go camping, I can't help you. You're on your own to determine how many kegs your Camp-Inn can safely carry.

On now to the less important stuff. I've always understood that, in addition to "can I control the vehicle/tow combination," a major (MAJOR) consideration for towing up to or over a vehicle's rated weight was how much load one puts on an automatic transmission (not a concern if you have a manual shift). Long, heavy, and/or high speed hauls, uphill hauls, hot weather, etc. can put an extreme load on an uncooled automatic transmission and cause the transmission fluid to overheat, leading to catastrophic transmission failure. That's why OEM tow packages often (not always) include a transmission cooler. Forget engine, brakes, suspension, etc. wear; those wear out faster, granted, but an overloaded/overheated automatic transmission can fail catastrophically.

I had a transmission cooler added to my '98 supercharged V6 4Runner when I decided to haul a trailer with it. My '03 Highlander V6 and '07 4Runner V8 both had transmission coolers included with their OEM tow packages ("OEM," Original Equipment Manufacturer).

Somebody who know more about this than I do is encouraged to add/elaborate/correct.

4. Bazza2154

Bazza2154 Novice

Our Automatic Hyundai Santa Fee has a manual gearbox selection as well so I can control the revulsions in all five gears.

Is this an option if you are on a long uphill haul would it treat the transmission better rather than constantly changing the gears automatically.

5. dpnel

dpnel Novice

Barry & Annie,

Sorry I cant answer your Question right now but I will Find out for you. What Year is your Hyundia ??

Dave

6. Bazza2154

Bazza2154 Novice

2007 its got a 3.3litre engine

7. dpnel

dpnel Novice

Does your owners manual state how to use your transmission while towing???

Dave

8. dpnel

dpnel Novice

Barry & Annie,

Is your Hyundai equipped with a tow package,4X4 ?? or is it a std model. My thoughts are its better to use the automatic mode and have the transmission out of (overdrive) if you are on an long uphill haul and try to keep your speed at a steady pace. Overdrive is good for what I call highway or flat traveling.

( Heat is your transmissions worst enemy ).

I will check with my friend at the hyundai dealership.
    Dave

9. Bazza2154

Bazza2154 Novice

Ours is All Wheel drive which means we can select 4 x 4 or it kicks in automatically if the conditions dictate. We dont have an overdrive but if we flick the lever across we can go up and down the 5 gears as if it is a standard without a clutch.

10. dpnel

dpnel Novice

Barry & Anne,

I'am sorry that I dont know more about the sequential shift control on hyundai's.

Let me see if I can explain what my friend told me for you. Also (Depends on how much weight you are towing)

Unless you know what you are doing with the sequential shift control (Manual mode)you could cause more damage to your transmission than you want to do. It is not good when pulling a trailer to continusly use (manual mode), these transmissions are known to have problems if not used correctly.

It's ok for when you start off because the (auto mode) is known for it"s slow reacting to intially get going if you are on a hill. He states to keep the transmission in (auto mode) not in (5th) but drop it down a gear and with a steady climb not flooring the gas (will cycle your transmission too much) and Check your owners manual and drive safely.

Make sure to service your fluids more often and keep a eye on your engine coolant,transmission heat.

Dave