New roof top solar option!

Discussion in 'Official Camp-Inn Area' started by Cary Winch, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Hey all,

This has been in the works for a long time and finally it is official! We now offer a roof top solar option for the 560 series of campers. We already have some customers who agreed to be early adopters of this and it is working great.

Camp off-the-grid with a Custom-Designed Sunflare brand, roof top mounted, solar panel on your Raindrop 560. We designed this panel to optimize the space and maximize the power. With 126 watts of power, you can run your DC refrigerator, CPAP machine, and recharge your battery, even on overcast days. Mounting this thin flex-panel directly to the roof maintains the clean styling lines of the Raindrop body. This is the hassle-free way to do solar, no set-up or cables for you to run. This Solar option includes a CTEK solar controller (over $470 value) and an external connector for plugging in additional solar panels. *See the CTEK Option for more information.

Check it out on our website. If you have a camper on order already and are interested in it please let us know, we would be able to add it to the order.

Cary

Attached Files:

2. Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon Junior Ranger

Can this be added to existing 560 campers? Can it work if you have a sunroof?

3. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I have the same question.

4. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

It would not fit on a 560 with a sunroof.

Installing on an existing camper has a bit of an issue. The wiring for this is not in place in the roof of the camper as it is on campers built in 2021. If the customer is willing to accept an alternative wiring method it can be done. The wires would basically have to run along the ceiling from the roof fan back to the cabinets at the rear of the cabin. We would dress it with a nice wooden wire cover so it looks good but it would still be a visible wiring solution.

Cary

Tour 931 and Warren Mary Ellen like this.
  5. SethB

SethB Ranger

Looks great! 126 watts seems right in the ballpark. Really nice looking install!

The CTEK solar charger also supplies superior multistage charging from your tow vehicle’s alternator, and chooses the best source when both solar and TV alternator are available.

Looks like a winning combo! It’s a bit of a drive to Necedah, but we’ll be thinking about this.

6. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

I can live with that! I would be interested in retro installing on my 560 if it came as a kit with good instal instructions and a mahogany colored cable race for hiding the ceiling wire.

7. Randy

I would also want the option to plug in my solar suitcase for when the trailer is parked in shade.

8. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

Randy, do you have the CTEK option now? If not I believe you would have to upgrade your standard PWM controller to a 20 amp MPPT controller.

I was already adding a Victron MPPT controller to my build (100/20). Cary just told me the my Victron would work fine with the rooftop panels and still work with the Renogy suitcase plugged in. I'm adding the rooftop option.

9. Randy

Thanks John, no, I only have the controller on my Zamp panel.

10. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

Well, you could still do it, but it would involve installing a new mppt controller (behind the kitchen door on the right) which would have to be wired to the rooftop panels (the wires at the back of the trailer that Cary speaks of). You would also have to wire your Zamp port to the new controller as well. This would allow you to run the rooftop all the time, and plug in the Zamp for additional support when/if needed.

You would also have to bypass the controller on your Zamp panel. However, that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

11. Randy

Thanks John, will see if the retro install kit is offered in the future.

12. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

The biggest issue in my mind would be installing the panels. I know I wouldn't want to try and tackle that part. Although, I'm not handy enough to want to do too much retro fitting of anything. ;)