New guy lesson learned - gravel and dirt roads

Discussion in 'Towing & Tow Vehicles' started by ghaynes, Oct 25, 2012.

1. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

So lessons learned from my first couple of trips. One of those woulda, coulda, shoulda moments.

As I was doing my dreaming after ordering my 560 last year and reading all of the posts I read about the Rock Tamer mud flaps. Had them on my list of things I should buy but they slipped my mind.

I pull my 560 with a GMC Yukon. After I got back from the two weeks I found that the fenders were a bit sandblasted and several more pits on the front of the trailer. Almost like a dusting.

I thought about having some ClearBra put on the fenders but according to the installer I used for the Yukon the material won't stick to anything but a painted surface. 3M does make abrasion film that is used on the front edges of airplane wings and I actually had some but it was only 6 inch in width from a roll that I had for protecting the bottom fuselage of my glider years ago that would be badly dinged when landing from the landing wheel throwing back small rocks.

Then the light bulb went off and I remembered the posting about the Enkay Rock Tamer mud flaps. Bought them off of Amazon and installed them last night. Easy install. Didn't need to trim them for length on the Yukon.

Drove with them in the rain last night and got very little blowup onto the back window as was normal without them in place so expect that they will do a great job in controlling any gravel.

So if you do plan to travel back roads, take that trip to Alaska or anything in between then think about some type of road crud deflector for your tow vehicle. And especially if you have a wide tow vehicle.

[​IMG]

PS Yes that is a funky looking hitch. 10 inch drop. Yukon has 20 inch tires and the air suspension so needed to special order the 2 inch hitch with a large 10 inch drop so that I could get the 560 SUV level. It is dead level with this hitch. :)

2. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Good tip, Gary. Now, if I can just get Jim to go off road with the trailer...

Sue

3. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

This might help with water in the windows too. I didn't have that trouble when I was towing with my wagon. I have a new tow vehicle now with a wider wheel base, and I am pretty sure this may be an issue again. Thanks for the reminder. Might need to look into something like this, but I think I will wait until spring. Just had to buy studs, and my pockets are feeling light.

Curious....I am seeing them on Amazon for about $250, with free shipping. Is that about what you paid or did you see a better deal out there?

4. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

Yes Sarah I got it Amazon. Saw an earlier posting about one for $109 on eBay but the Amazon price was about the best I saw. I have a Prime account so two day shipping is no extra charge. I buy enough from Amazon to more than make up for the the cost of the Prime membership over a year.

5. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

I found the Rock Tamers here for $216. Shipping is extra - to Chicago UPS Ground would be $20. Cabela's used to carry them for $200, but they show as 'out of stock' now.

6. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

A quick update. Had a trip last night up into Rocky Mountain NP with a mix of dirt roads, snow and rain. The Rock Tamers really cut down on the amount of road debris and sludge hitting the front of the CI.

7. Kelly

Kelly Novice

Re: Rock Tamer Vendors

As an FYI for those Canadian Camp-Inn owners that may be having trouble finding vendors that sell Rock Tamers, Costco carries them - $260.00. The only other place that I found them at were truck specialty outfitting shops (for more $).

8. David Olson

David Olson Novice

Check out the IBC hitch mount splash stop.
    We have one it is very easy to put on and off. It just attaches to the hitch. I paid about $150.

9. ghaynes

ghaynes Novice

Oly

Couldn't tell from the photos but it looks like the IBC has the hitch as part of the overall bar and not attachable. Also their height is only 16" which might work on something lower then my Yukon. At least there are choices out there.

10. David Olson

David Olson Novice

It slides onto the hitch. Then it has a double nut bolt that screws down to tighten it down.
    You are right about the 16" but it works great on our Jeep Grand Cherokee. I did have to put on a tail pipe turn down to redirect the heat.