New For 2022- Pahaque 5x7 & 10x10 Now Fit Camp Inn

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by campdude, Jan 14, 2022.

1. campdude

campdude Ranger

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  2. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

Very cool!

3. KarenBee

KarenBee Novice

Has anyone bought one of these? I would love a tour of the 10x10.

4. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Not yet, but I've considered it. These guys make a good tent.

Kevin S likes this.
  5. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

6. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

My cottonwood was such a magnificent tent, if something happens to my ARB side room --- this would most certainly be what I would replace it with. Formerly, they stood up to wind and rain better than anything I've ever owned before or since.

Kevin S likes this.
  7. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

I think I'd go this way too, Sweeney. That custom door frame to make the connection bug-sealed is elegant and effective, even easier to setup than the original CampInn side tents. (Which work very well, but as mine are getting old, I'm thinking ahead for next size up when time comes)

Sweeney and dustinp like this.
  8. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

The ARB room solution isn't bad -- but it has limitations that, after several trips, it has become more apparent its not perfect. I am not sure I'd do it again....in fact, I'm 90% sure I wouldn't.

Last year a CICO, another owner of an ARB side tent experienced catastrophic failure when rain collected on the top, which quite literally collapsed the poles. Even when I drop mine to a fairly substantial pitch, I still get water on my roof, and the nature of aluminum is to be VERY strong....right until it breaks without warning.

If you use just the roof for an awning for rain fly and side room, its probably not as big of an issue -- when its rains just drop a corner all the way down.

However, if you add the side room, the room's height goes to about 48 inches. This means slack in the sides, which is already there with the CampInn application. Its just too short. This means you get water in the base. I'm sure it keeps water out...no doubt...because it keeps water in :) I have to carry a bilge sponge to dry it out after every rain.

The high wall and fixed height of the Pahaque would take care of those issues. What I don't know, is how well ventilated the Pahaque is --- ventilation is so important to me. The ARB opens wide with screens on all sides and, those screens open.

All this, just because I want to keep a critter (or three) safe and ' at home ' overnight, dry out of the rain and maybe have a place to get dressed without doing "the worm"

Kevin S and dougbee like this.
  9. SethB

SethB Ranger

We aren’t using our ARB awning room and will sell it on. The awning risers can come off. The search continues! Pahaque? Maybe.

We carry a sturdy tent pole with a tennis ball stuck on top. With it we create a single peak at the center of the ARB 8’ (2500) awning. This will handle a torrent!

Kevin S likes this.
  10. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I can see where that would make a huge difference!

Looks like parts are available, and they aren't terribly insanely priced...

ARB Awning Replacement Parts - Desert Rat Off Road Centers

11. SethB

SethB Ranger

Kevin S likes this.
  12. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Awwh heck...out of stock.

May need to make a 3d model of it in which case I can at least make a emergency use one on the 3d printer. I wonder if its already on Thingiverse :)

Looks like summit has them too, but they aren' tin stock either.

13. SethB

SethB Ranger

I’m a CI wetxpert! (Say it out loud until it makes sense)

Another life goal accomplished!

Kevin S likes this.
  14. rmbrowder

rmbrowder Junior Ranger

I live in Northwest Florida and have found three things that mostly work on yellow flies: 1) Bug Balls- a black object covered in sticky spray that wobbles. Good for a small area. 2) Deer fly strips that stick on the back of a cap. It traps the deer flies that orbit around your head, kind of a mobile bug ball. 2) 100% DEET.

15. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

Thank you Sir!

Discover 10 Florida Bugs That Bite or Sting (Ranked by Most Painful!)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2023
  16. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

Even 50% DEET will melt your watch crystal, your eyeglass frames and lenses, lots of other plastic things.
    I had a bottle in my pocket on a canoe trip. It leaked and melted the pocket bottom. Be careful!

Kevin S likes this.
  17. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Tried Pemetheryn? I think that's how it spelled --- spray it on clothes, blankets --- when its wet its not great for humans and animals --- but once it dries its a neurotoxin for bugs....harmless to people...

We had a class A that had a major infestation of stink bugs - We bombed the roof, carpet, and curtains --- in a week it was like a stink bug mortuary. Didn't see one for 2 years after that.

Of course....since then ... is it just me? I haven't seen stink bugs at all since 2020....wonder if there is a corelation...

18. rmbrowder

rmbrowder Junior Ranger

I treat my outdoor clothes by soaking in permethrin, then air drying. It works great for anything that crawls on your clothes. The yellow flies only go for bare skin and bite as soon as they land, following a few circles around the target. When driving into the woods for trail work the tellow flies will swarm the side mirrors. The first one out draws them off then extra deet is applied by the rest of the group then the “runner is sprayed.

Kevin S and Corbin like this.
  19. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Yah, target attacked is hard to beat. I hate bug spray - but sometimes its just a necessary evil.

20. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

Thanks for the yellow flies tips; hate those buggers...

So....Just "dont be that (first) guy" out then...

Remind me to tell you the shark diving story about Dear Wife...pushing me out in front, first...