Solar Hookup Need Advise On Best Portable Solar Panels

Discussion in 'Camp-Inn Options & Accessories' started by MikeandChar, Nov 28, 2022.

1. MikeandChar

MikeandChar Novice

My wife and I will be getting our 560 in January of 2023. We did not get the rooftop solar panels and decided to go with purchasing portable solar panels. Has anyone else done this? What are the portable solar panels that you use? What are the pros and cons? Thank you in advance for your reply.

2. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Welcome to the fun ;)

What is your camping background? Where do you plan on camping? Are you planning on being a weekend warrior, or spending more time at parks?

Other than lights and ceiling fan, what equipment do you plan on taking with you?

3. Long Truong

Long Truong Junior Ranger

The big question is whether you'll have a 12v fridge or an ice cooler, since the fridge is the big battery user.

Kevin Bat-Tree Killah likes this.
  4. Steve & Betsy

Steve & Betsy Novice

We use a Zamp 120 watt portable panel. It will usually give a full charge by mid to late afternoon, depending on sun. We run a Dometic refrigerator, which as the above said is the big draw. I wouldn’t want anything smaller than the 120 watt, at least for our use.

Our panel has a 15 foot cord and I have 2 15 foot extension cords for it. Rarely do I need them both, but on occasion it’s nice to have the 2nd extension.

The Zamp comes with a carrying case and fits upright just behind the front seat of our Subaru Outback. The rear seat folded down keeps it nicely in place.

5. Those are nice panels.

6. fernlane

fernlane Junior Ranger

Grasshopper has some really good info here. I tend to go a bit more minimalist but for 8+ years have always had a portable solar panel and a dometic fridge. Because I'm typically not at the campsite to chase the sun around, I use an app call Sunseeker which shows the path of the sun at your location through the phone's camera. This allows me to position the panel for best exposure while we're off hiking etc. Even in wooded sites I can frequently predict an hour of good sun.
    We also use a 30 ft cable for the panel to help with finding a good spot.
    I've just upgraded (I hope) our panel to 130 watts. Other than exceeding the input capacity of your charge controller, there's just no such thing as too many watts from your panel.
    We also have the CTEK dc-dc charger in the 550. I've used it with the alltrack several times as a very quiet and efficient generator. Gives the battery exactly what it wants. I recommend it.

7. manuel palmer

manuel palmer Newbie

I'm also an avid RVer and have been using portable solar panels for years. They've been a lifesaver, especially when boondocking or camping in remote areas.
    I chose portable solar panels for their flexibility in positioning, making them ideal for maximizing sunlight capture. I also appreciate the portability, allowing me to easily pack them up and take them with me on my RV adventures.
    The Bougerv 300w solar panels Kit has been my go-to option. It's lightweight, efficient, and has served me well in various weather conditions.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2023
    dustinp likes this.
  8. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I like the suitcase style -- folding I suppose is a better way to describe them. Its a shame though that the prices on them seem to have gone through the roof, even more than other items. I'm glad I bought mine when i did...220 watts at 18 volts has me charged in no-time. Charges faster than being plugged into electric :)

Van_and_Terri likes this.
  9. Permanently attached panel(s)

Advantages:
    1) they won't walk away on you
    2) they are out of the way, are unlikely to get damaged, and don't take up storage space in your trailer or your TV
    3) they are relatively light, unobtrusive and generally can retain the aerodynamic qualities of the trailer

Disadvantages:
    1) it will never be optimally aimed at the sun
    2) it will be a bear to replace or repair if it was glued down
    3) parking the trailer in the least bit of shade will render it next to useless
    4) direct mounting will increase the heat of the panel and decrease the efficiency
    5) direct mounting will accelerate aging, delamination and other types of degradation, especially in hot climates
    6) they are weather-dependent

Portable Panel(s)

Disadvantages:
    1) they are portable, and require some sort of method of securing them, especially if you plan on being away from the trailer for any length of time, unless you are a very trusting individual
    2) you need to find a way to transport them that is convenient for you and safe for them. They are not small things.
    3) they are weather-dependent

Advantages:
    1) you can place them at a distance from the trailer so they are in the sun, and angle them so that you are getting maximum efficiency, and can get their job done faster
    2) they stay cooler, work better and last longer

In my hybrid design I was able to incorporate most of the advantages and avoid most of the disadvantages listed above by mounting a thin flex panel on the roof. It is raised off the deck with ventilation underneath. The frame that holds it down is secured with security bolts. The frame also doubles as a variable-angle stand so that it can be positioned to "chase the sun" up 25 feet away from the trailer. So far, the best of both worlds.
    Modular Roof-mount Solar Complete

But a full audit of your energy needs, and storage capacities, combined with your style of camping (days not connected to a tow vehicle or shore power, and campsites in full sun) will determine whether my solution, or someone else's would be worth it for you to try and emulate. For a lot of typical trailer owners (and if I am being honest, I'll include myself) solar probably isn't worth the cost and headache. When you add it all up, it is likely you will end up (just marginally) on the negative side of the ledger. And for the record, I don't consider off-gridders, boondockers, CPAPers, and mobile chefs with multiple electric fridges and freezers to be typical.

But if you're "into it", solar is a great hobby.