Morning Cup Of Coffee And Weather

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tour 931, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

This is my view out my window this morning as I sip my Folgers. I’m amazed at how different each morning view can be. The towers on the right horizon is Timms Hill. It’s about 70 feet higher than I am however about 25 square miles are about 500 feet higher than anywhere else.
    54689FB4-CEFC-464C-B5E3-3FEDC88B005A by Tour 931 posted Apr 18, 2024 at 5:07 AM

I aimed the camera slightly low so the horizon wouldn’t divide the picture into two halves. Also most of the towers are hidden by trees so the land is lower than it appears.

Sweeney, dougbee, Kevin and 2 others like this.
  2. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Sure do like how pretty that land is, and how it changes in different light. You got a good eye Tour.

Is that little white house lived in?
    Reminds me of the one room schoolhouses or churches up on the plains- mostly abandoned but reminder of a bygone day, when people couldnt travel so far as now but did make the trip for community.

3. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

Same question from me. My guess it’s a church.

4. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

It’s a single room grade school opened in the 1880’s. The first one burnt and this one was rebuilt in the 1920’s.
    I live on Ring School Road and it’s the Ring School.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2024
  5. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I drove out to Ring School Road and took this picture of the school house. You can see my home in the background to the right.
    21029905-E4B1-4398-8629-EA0D6B5C8C44 by Tour 931 posted Apr 19, 2024 at 9:18 AM

dougbee, Kevin, Van_and_Terri and 2 others like this.
  6. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

Looks like they could use some volunteer labor around the old school if you ever run out of things to do.;)

Ken & Peggy likes this.
  7. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

It has major structural issues and needs to be torn down. I want to buy it and the two acres it sits on. I would use the bell tower and build a replica and place it another 50 feet off the road.

Kevin, dougbee, dustinp and 1 other person like this.
  8. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Careful how you answer that Tour :D Though I suspect the snow pictures from 2 weeks ago would keep ME away :D

Kevin likes this.
  9. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Neat building. I hate hearing its isn't salvageable. The replica bell tower would be a nice salute...

dougbee, Kevin and dustinp like this.
  10. The Gazelle has a “back door” the rear left vertical screen zips open/closed. Or at least ours came that way from the factory.

Kevin and Tour 931 like this.
  11. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Hi Torrey -- I've never seen your name before --- Welcome :)

Mine does too...I think the G6 is the only one that does. The back door is a little bit of an "Inhebreation detector" but it definitely makes a nice space to escape wind and rain. I used it a couple weeks ago, and I anticipate I'll be using it this week as well.

A little over 2 weeks of "semi-retirement" comes to an end on May 8'th. I've had 2 months between jobs (effectively), and that time is about up. I need to start looking :) BUT I'm planning at least 1, maybe 2 more "multi-day" escapes....it looks like this little cold snap will be ending late this week, and we'll be back into seasonable weather...

12. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I leave for Madison early tomorrow morning. On Tuesday I have robotic microsurgery on my kidney to remove cancer.

My next post should be Wednesday.

Kevin, Chuckwagon and Van_and_Terri like this.
  13. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

Good luck.We'll be waiting for your positive report on Wed!

Kevin and Chuckwagon like this.
  14. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

You’re in our thoughts and prayers.

Kevin likes this.
  15. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

Interesting night to be in the teardrop at Rodman Dam State Park in Florida.

Attached Files:

Kevin likes this.
  16. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Best to you. Clean margins. You'll be in my thoughts. See you here in a couple days.

Kevin likes this.
  17. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Oh, dear God! (not a profanation) My prayers are with you...

Kevin likes this.
  18. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Yikes! You make it through OK? How bad were the winds? Any rotation?

Kevin likes this.
  19. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I have a meeting today with a mentor, and colleague --- hope it goes well. Tomorrow its oil change, and trailer brake adjustment. I had brake adjustment, its another one of those "tight but not too tight, loose but not too loose" things. Plus your laying on your back with 1500 pounds above your head, something I never enjoy.

I think tomorrow I may go up to Chicago and visit the Galloping Ghost --- another passion of mine. Old video games, especially early arcade games like Donky Kong, Defender, Stargate, Missile Command, Pacman, Tempest...starting with space invaders, though I do remember coin op pong. My interest waned about the time Street Fighter game out. Regardless, Galloping Ghost in thought to be the largest arcade in the world. $25 free play all day. I'll put in a few hours...probably on Donky Kong.

Something interesting....the dump dump dump dump dump 'sound' of the game Space Invaders --- You know how it speeds up as you get closer to the last alien? That is an accident, which was simply included in the game play. The game had none of the modern aids (sprites) and the processor had to calculate, and draw each character individually. As you had less and less aliens on the screen, the game just naturally sped up since it had less to do which I think is part of the magic of the game.

Kevin likes this.
  20. rmbrowder

rmbrowder Junior Ranger

On places to visit for video game players, Alamagordo, NM. The town dump was where Atari ditched their games and it sparked a treasure hunt!

Attached Files:

Ken & Peggy, dustinp and Kevin like this.