Morning Cup Of Coffee And Weather

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tour 931, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Thats a great idea! Saves having to buy a footprint and in case of the Northern Breeze 12x12, figure out how to mod/custom sew something to fit the zippered footprint (which I bought but still not used...;)

Also the PVC w/suction cup idea, easier than custom sewing a hole in the NB zippered door (also pending...while I decide on which side is best to slide out...;)

If I put the NB far enough forward, I have privacy to slip out in my pj's...do my bidness. No side tent setup needed.
    But then the room to sit out in back is only enough for two camp chairs side by side, table.

Using the NB like Dustin has done with Clam, and Sweeney you have done with G6, if I slide the NB back from rear as much as possible but still use side table, there is room for four chairs...
    But then I need the side tent for my bath-spa option...;)

So, lots of good choices for a tent as screened spare room for the- Luxury glamping extended for longer stays, inc cold shoulder seasons with the side gas port figured out now to connect Big Buddy as toe and space warmer.
    The one disadvantage to the NB is the side window covers/awnings dont cover and seal as well as the Clam or G6 with the panels, so with a good breeze there is leakage thru the NB screens...so another project is add some ties or velcro...

Or just go to a G6, the heavy duty or the lighter with roof vent.

One other comment for anyone thinking about adding a big tent- I chose the NB based on recommendations of several here in past, pre Clam and G6 options.

The Northern Breeze is very well made, holds up to wind well, has a built in roof vent, adjustable etc
    but being a traditional square external frame, while sturdy, is lots more work to setup, take down and stake in guy lines... once practiced 30 min solo up or down, but generally more of a PITA for me to use unless 3 day stay or longer.

And it needs a sturdy rainfly in someplace with snow...which I have a Kelty tarp to try on, tossed over the top and staked in for next trip.
    Even if its a bust ... I'm thinking the Kelty would work as a standalone shade tent for dispersed camping in desert where you definitely need some shade on the spam can, when it gets over 90 in the sun.

Anyway, sorry to blabber on but thanks again to all for sharing, as its just another benefit to getting a CampInn- all the wise ones here who pass on good tips to noobs like me just getting started; 20 years of good stuff archived here.

I'm reminded of Cosmo Weems (god rest his kind soul) you-tubes about sweeping snow off his Clam in the storm in Maine Woods boondock...Neither CI nor a Vistabule can be true 4season without a lot more effort, or toughness of the user.

See Bear's story about camping on the Yellowstone in minus 40 degree...the HughGlass of CampInns!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
    dustinp likes this.
  2. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

I viewed Cosmo’s snow video too. He had to be pulled out with a wrecker and if I remember correctly, he had some damage to the car. The snow was that deep. I always enjoyed his videos. He sold a lot of Vistabules.

Kevin likes this.
  3. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Great idea....Simple and not a bunch of parts. I actually don't mind the parts , what I hate is wet parts. Using the Gazelle, clam, king-camp canopy, the coleman canopy --- whatever. If its dry -- easy. But wet you've got to contend with musty smells and mold. Yuck! My garage is too small to hang them up to dry....

This is my only problem with teardopping!!

Weems was full of great ideas....I didn't discover him until just before he passed away :(

Where's that 'bear' story -- posted here on is it documented in video...-40 yikes! 20 is about my limit, after that the fun-o-meter drops to numbers low enough I'll stay home or pack up and leave....

Kevin likes this.
  4. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

Yeah, packing up wet is no fun, and we do our best to avoid it, to the extent of packing up the night before if rain is predicted overnight or the morning we are leaving, but it's remarkable how quickly at least the Clam fabric, (and I'm assuming the Gazelle is similar) dries out with a little break in the rain. I usually can shake the majority of the droplets off, and what little remains usually dries out pretty quick, or a towel on a broom is pretty effective at hurrying it along.

Kevin likes this.
  5. If it is going to rain on us on the last night especially we’ve been known to pack up and take off during the day before it starts to avoid everything being wet. We don’t have a garage, so finding space to hang stuff is a hassle for us. Our walk up attic is the best place to do it, but what a pain. Of course that only works if you are close to home.

Tour 931 and Kevin like this.
  6. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I think we all probably do the same thing...keep ahead of the rain is an art.

I often thought about spraying down with the Rustoleum (or another brand) hydrophobic spray. You'd probably need 2 or 3 'fabric spray' bottles to cover the gazelle. $60 or 90 bucks....dunno, that seems like a lot except it would be even 'more' waterproof....

The galley cover isn't as bad to keep dry, its lightweight and can just be draped over the camper with a fan to dry it out. The Gazelle is big and floppy.

Warren Mary Ellen and Kevin like this.
  7. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I plowed my driveway and noticed the ice on my lawn art.
    255F5829-5F95-4D6B-B474-36EDCAD1ED34 by Tour 931 posted Apr 4, 2024 at 9:47 AM

8. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

It's even artier now!

Kevin and Tour 931 like this.
  9. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

great photo, but not great weather :) We had some snow followed by rain this morning. I'm sure the 70's and sunny will get here, and it is only April, but I'm ready!

I'm a little disappointed, I need to scrub by westward trip -- had a few things pop up, including weather that is just not looking good. I thought this might be a problem -- March and April are bridge months, where weather changes fast, and can be either 100 degrees or freezing.

See how it goes....

Kevin, dustinp and Tour 931 like this.
  10. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Sorry about your RTE66 trip Sweeney.
    But its not going anywhere...

Found this story that I couldn't recall earlier:
    Camp-Inn Travel Trailer Models

Tour 931 likes this.
  11. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Me too. But, I believe that things happen through His providence, and for now its not right. I'm not going to push it. Maybe when my wife has some time off work, and I'm not doing it alone. We'll see!

Kevin likes this.
  12. dougbee

dougbee Novice

Hi everyone. I'm just outside of totality here at home (actually I'm at 99.8%) and even though tomorrow here is looking to be pretty cloudy I have the rig setup to capture what I can. Attached is the Sun a few minutes ago. If I manage to capture anything good tomorrow I'll upload it here.

I'm in central New York in case anyone is wondering.

Clear skies!

Edit: added a colorized version.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2024
    Sweeney, dustinp, Ken & Peggy and 3 others like this.
  13. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Great pics! We're in Sweeney's back yard - Nashville, IN. Looking a bit iffy here too, but fingers crossed...

dustinp and dougbee like this.
  14. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

15. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

16. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Nice pics!
    Looks like the further north the better the weather...
    Good luck!

17. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I climbed Mt Si in Washington for the last one in 2017. It was spectacular.

Kevin and dustinp like this.
  18. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I gave up --- lots of reasons but I went to Florida ;) I'm down here now, going to try to catch up with Van later this week. I might have waited until post apoc-eclipse but I found seven consecutive days in west central florida (not telling you how! LOL) I rolled in yesterday afternoon at about 4.

Sadly -- I'm traveling solo -- my wife couldn't get time off work, and I don't have faith in my hotspot for reliable internet so she can't work remotely. So I have to go this trip alone. I planned on a westward trip, but on Saturday it was still snowing in Flagstaff. Combined with difficulty finding places to stay the night between here and New Mexico, and lack of being self contained, I decided to play it safe and go someplace I knew was warmer.

So, I think today I'm just going to hang around the campground, maybe get adventurous and heat out into some of the hiking trails, all while watching the slow cooker does its thing.

Speaking of which, a slow cooker isn't something I would carry with me everywhere I go. Single tasker and it takes a lot of space. However, for gatherings, where the single tasker is worth the space...it shows promise. A Presto Nomad -- 6 quart little suitcase. It seals tightly and clamps with a handle. I wanted to 'dry run' with it before our next gathering in May, this seemed like a good situation.

I discovered the Nomad at the last Crossroads gathering, someone made "Mississippi Potroast," which is quite good. I'm trying it today, assuming the squirrels don't pull some shenanigans. Right now, there are 6 or 8 of them circling me, waiting for me to make a mistake.

Later in the week, I'll be meeting Van for lunch --- he's got a great track record for good chow. Maybe head into Ybor City (Tampa) --- I hear it is a pretty amazing experience.

I don't want to go too far, if there's any 'must sees' I'd love to know. I've already seen the pink elephant with glowing eyes. :) Boy, is that nightmare fuel!

19. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

20. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Looks epic, Tour!
    (Screen shot from Gaia Maps app)

Attached Files:

Tour 931 likes this.