Morning Cup Of Coffee And Weather

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tour 931, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

We are going to have fun if we ever find ourselves in the same campground :)

One Second After is a great book though it did cost me a few nights sleep --- once when I was reading it, once when I was pondering it, then in March 2020. The author is a graduate of Undue Perversity...I mean Purdue Unviersity. While I am a college drop out, I consider this my virtual alma mater since had I continued my degree it certainly would have been the CMT degree there (Computerized Manufacturing Technology)

Kevin likes this.
  2. Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon Junior Ranger

Does anyone have experience using a back up battery system to use for your home when the power goes out? Does it work well even in very cold (northern Michigan) weather?

3. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I don’t but am thinking about it so I could use the same information you are seeking.

Kevin and Chuckwagon like this.
  4. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

I've been giving it some thought as well, and EcoFlow makes some larger sogens suitable for whole home electric supply, and when extra batteries are added, or they are doubled up with interconnect cables to get 240V, or both to get the voltage, and duration needed for your particular application, it offers a lot of flexibility for various scenarios.
    I think if going that way however, you would want to have them stored inside near your breaker box where they would be at room temp up until the time of use, and even if your heat goes out, it would be relatively warm(compared to outside) for quite some time. But any battery will start losing capacity when cooled below a certain temp depending on battery type. You should be able to find that info online or from whatever battery manufacturer you are considering.

Chuckwagon likes this.
  5. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I assume you're thinking of "whole house" as a sort of off-grid backup? I want to do this --- I've been investigating it pretty closely for about 2 1/2 years now. Its just a bit pricy, and I have major space concerns.

I'm really interested in using 48volt 100ah "Server Backup Batteries" then feeding an inverter/charger to allow grid charging, as a backup to solar panels. With a system like this, I could put my primary circuits (Fridge/freezer, essential lighting, and maybe a window shaker in the bedroom. On solar "All the time" without going to an entire grid tied solution. If the batteries become exhausted I could of back to grid power using a manual transfer switch...

I know a couple people who have done this --- and they love it. The nice part about using these discreet components is you aren't tied to a specific manufacturer for anything. If the inverter dies, you just replace it with another off the shelf....you aren't tied to getting a part from Ego-flow (sic) or any other manufacturer who may, or may not , sell repair parts...

Chuckwagon and dustinp like this.
  6. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

Don’t hate me but here goes. I turn off my main breaker to the house during a power outage after a hurricane in Florida. Initially I turn off all the other breakers on my panel also. I took a 30 amp cord and installed a dryer plug on the end. I start my toro 5500W generator and hook it up to my clothes dryer plug and back feed my house. I turn on what breakers I need whether it be for the hot water heater, refrigerator outlet, etc…. I also have a 1000W Honda generator and a 2000w generator for dedicated uses as needed. One of my best friends cringes at my setup as he is retired from being a lineman. Not endorsing this, but it works amazing well for us.

Kevin and dustinp like this.
  7. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

It sounds like you've already taken the heat from someone on your practice...I hope you don't get caught doing it. Especially when an interlock only costs a few bucks...That said...

I've been fortunate that in the neighborhood we live in, the power is pretty stable. I rely on 2 little 120-volt generators (Honda & yamaha) which meet my needs except for the well pump. In the summer, when we've had longer outages, I just pulled the camper out and ran an extension cord to the fridge and another to serenity. In the winter its cords out the window to run the fridge, freezer, and blower on my pellet stove. I'm in the habit of keeping at least 1 "blue box" tote of water on a shelf...

I'm in much better shape than many for a localized outage that may only last a couple or even a few days. In fact last time it happened my neighbor said something to the effect "You're lovin' this aren't you..."

But if something bigger happens I'm as screwed as the next guy. :)

8. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

why would the power company care? You aren’t feeding power back into the system. I had a similar system with my septic pump and fireplace insert fan. I soft wired them to a plug-in and then had a plug-in next to it that was fed by a generator. I would unplug it from the power grid and plus it into the generator. Worked perfect and no danger of back feeding.

Kevin likes this.
  9. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

For those who don't know, here's a quick note about what is being discussed.

Normally, the transformer on the pole takes a high voltage (I think around 7000) and turns it down to 220 which electrifies your house. Every house gets 220. It is "split" into 2 phases, 110 each.

If the power goes out, and you plug your generator into (240 volt onput) into an outlet which is normally used for something like a clothes dryer (male on each end) it will energize all of the outletsin the home. If the "master" power is turned off, then you are OK (sort of -- keep reading) since your home is effectively disconnected from the grid.

IF however, you do this, and forget to turn of the main the 220 volts not only feed the house, but it also feeds the transformer. The transformer works both way...7000 -> 220 or 220 -> 7000. Which will be passed directly to the main power lines. So, a lineman can easily be exposed to voltage coming "backwards" from the houses instead of "to" the houses.

This can be mitigated by putting in a device called an interlock, which will allow 1 breaker to be used to legally backfeed the house since the interlock will require the main breaker to be disconnected. ALso, it would require a male "from" the house - just like we have on the shore power connector on the campinn, only 220 not 110 as the campinn is.

If you plug the generator into the house using a dryer socket, you need to have a male on both ends of the plug. The generator side, as well as the dryer plug side. If some poor fella comes along and touches that "male" end that would be plugged into the dryer socket...and and the the other end is plugged into the running generator...his eyes will glow.

This is one of those things that if "everything works the way it should" you'll be OK --- but a mistake can lead to someone not seeing their kids that night.

Lastly, if you're the only house with lights on after a storm, and there's a generator in the driveway -- you stand out. If a fire-marshall sees this...hope you have a good attorney...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2023
    Kevin, Lipster, dustinp and 1 other person like this.
  10. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

Will their eyes glow enough to read by?:D
    (great explanation!)

11. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

Sweeny, thanks for taking the time to explain the danger. I was going to, but didn't have time just now.
    If the main breaker is left on, it could indeed be fatal to a line worker up on a pole working on dead (?) lines.

That is why the power companies care, as do other authorities.

Kevin and Sweeney like this.
  12. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

No worries. Feel a little bit like I'm dumping on Van & Terri -- really not. Just think Tour 931's question begged the question, and without context, it isn't possible to answer.

The single input to a home panel then controlling distribution via breakers as opposed to a transfer switch makes a LOT of sense. I can't truly tell you wich of the circuits I have now will exclusively be what I need in a prolonged outage. The only problem is the inability to 100% ensure the main breaker is pulled, and you don't have an exposed prong on a "suicide cable" --- which is what the male-to-male connectors are often called.

Now I if I could only figure out the 48v100ah convention to 120VAC -- so to size the array I need for an off-grid setup. For the money, these batteries don't look like the performs all that well -- this would include the commercially made power stations...

13. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

The way mine is set up works great because it’s impossible to have a line plugged into TWO separate plug-ins. It also isolates it from lines not needed in an emergency. A few years ago a Seattle area was killed because someone backfed a line during an outage.

dustinp, Sweeney and Kevin like this.
  14. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Lots more info online; for example:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/846549/can-i-hook-up-a-generator-directly-to-my-house/

dustinp, Sweeney, SethB and 1 other person like this.
  15. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Kevin, I think we run in the same circles just a little too frequently LOL :) --- this web site is where I initially heard about this practice....

The interlock (I think I called it something else earlier) is a brilliant solution to the pure generator solution --- it really lets you control how the power is used --- you can turn on whichever circuits you need as long as you don't exceed the generation capacity. However, it lackes in 1 area --- you can't use your "solar" battery in all the circuits at the same time you are using the grid --- a transfer switch with pre-selected circuits is required for this.

HOWEVER --- for pure emergency preparation -- the interconnect is the best solution because of its flexability.

dustinp, Tour 931 and Kevin like this.
  16. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

It's only Tuesday --- but I'm thinking weekend already!

The last couple has been either too hot or too busy with life's demands to enjoy them very much. I still have a tremendous amount of deferred maintenance, and with a nice stretch of weather, that will wait another week :) I suspect the early weeks in November will be when a lot of that gets done --- it's mostly cleanup work anyway, which takes president once the leaves fall in the last week of October.

I'm starting to think autumn thoughts a bit early this year. I can't say I'm happy about that, I think it is that the sun is just cresting the roof and casting a bright light on a tree line on my office window. During summer, there isn't the sharp contrast of shadow that makes it so remarkable. Perhaps its the cool air -- Its only 60 degrees this morning.

I'm getting far too ahead of myself. It looks like we have a much better one coming up. Maybe even nice enough weather to justify a campfire...

Kevin likes this.
  17. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I’m retired so everyday is Saturday. Actually I work Saturday and my weekend is Sunday through Friday.

Kevin and dougbee like this.
  18. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Dude...just made my head hurt :D

Kevin and Tour 931 like this.
  19. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

My Class A won’t have to sit outside this winter.
    A555173C-9D4D-4FEB-94B0-068C503937BB by Tour 931 posted Aug 10, 2023 at 11:04 AM
    It will be snug as a bug in its new RVport.
    842BA6A9-85C4-413C-82C2-A4AC66665788 by Tour 931 posted Aug 10, 2023 at 11:04 AM
    I still have more landscaping to do but it’s coming along nicely.
    B5EE22B0-DF72-482B-8F41-4D0709D9E42D by Tour 931 posted Aug 10, 2023 at 11:04 AM

dustinp, Kevin, Sweeney and 1 other person like this.
  20. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Definitely more convenient. In long term cheaper than renting a storage facility! You've got a great 'eye' for landscaping...I'm sure it will look great when you're done....