Morning Cup Of Coffee And Weather

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tour 931, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Meet Bullwinkle. This is a young male.

11226504-79CB-436E-B6CD-A2E495150C82 by Tour 931 posted Jul 12, 2023 at 6:29 PM

dustinp, Kevin and Sweeney like this.
  2. dirty6

dirty6 Ranger

Muiriel got a new friend today

[​IMG]

3. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

The fit is much like my NDK Explorer in my garage.

4. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

Sweeeet...about 40lbs??

5. dirty6

dirty6 Ranger

yes, about, maybe 35. I’d have to have a scale available to weigh it for sure. But it’s much lighter than it looks, especially if you’ve ever tried to press a fiberglass or plastic 17foot boat up above your head!

dustinp likes this.
  6. dustinp

Yes, when we started doing our annual trips up into the BWCA 40 years ago, we used aluminum canoes that weighed about 65+ lbs, then we had a Wenonah Adirondack, which was about 55. Never did get down to the light weight kevlar ones that are under 40lbs, but that may have extended my time swinging them up on top of my shoulders a few more years before we ended our portaging adventure trip days. Now we usually just do day trips on BWCA entry lakes, or just kayak at home.

7. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Darkness. Finally darkness. I’ve been in Alaska for the last two weeks and it never got dark at night. It ready threw off my sleep pattern because I never wanted to go to bed.

8. dirty6

dirty6 Ranger

Yes!

My line of work (ministry) involves caring for people as they walk through all sorts of challenges. Often times people assume that the winter is the hardest part of the crazy light patterns in Alaska because the lack of light leads to depressive issues.

However, my colleagues largely observed the opposite. In Fairbanks, at least, (south of the Arctic Circle) the winter days are short and rather dim because the sun only peaks a few degrees above the horizon. But, the sun always rises, there is always a twilight period before the sunrise and after the sunset, and therefore there is a daylight/night cycle every day of the winter. Note this is not as true further north above the Arctic Circle.

However, in Fairbanks in summer the reality is more extreme. Even though the sun sets every day, it only dips below the horizon, and in the peak of summer the twilight condition before and after sun rise/set is quite bright - bright enough that outdoor activities can happen without any need for artificial light. The experience is most extreme in the few weeks before and after the summer solstice, but a more moderate version of the experience persists for aprox 12-18 weeks.

My colleagues and I observed a higher instance of behavioral issues and adjustment concerns in those summer months simply because there was no daylight/night cycle to speak of for an extended period. It really messes with people’s sleep patterns and internal clocks.

On top of that, Fairbanks and really all of Alaska has hardly any need for air conditioning. In the warm summer months, open windows and fans are the best method for cooling a house. But this counteracts the best tool for making a bedroom dark - blackout curtains. Folks often had to choose between the lesser of two evils for their particular sleep hygiene needs - that is, do you want a hot/stuffy but dark bedroom, or do you want a breezy but bright bedroom? All options lead to less sleep!

Tour 931 likes this.
  9. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

What a beauty! I'd be terrified of hitting rocks though...

I don't think I would deal well with that. I'd like to see it some time, but I think I'd be one who doesn't deal well with it --- even worse in winter. The SAD already impacts me....by January I'm a basket case, and I'm not that stable in the summer...

10. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Drool...
    Thousand Isles here you come!

dirty6 likes this.
  11. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I chose a cool breeze and light.

Kevin likes this.
  12. dirty6

dirty6 Ranger

that was our choice, too

Tour 931 likes this.
  13. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Smoke has blown out of the area. We've got the Hoosier Summer Gathering happening (with sadly few teardrops) in north central Indiana....and there isn't any rain. Can it be? A nice weekend for camping? I hope so.

I'm on vacation next week and in a bit of a dilemma. My wife's company forced her to take vacation time last year, and since she didn't have any she needed to "borrow" from this year. Frankly, the word for this is "Cooking the books." Regardless, we're planning on going to Florida and to Wisconsin this autumn. This all means that I'm on my own for a week.

It's Oshkosh Airventure Season, which makes central Wisconsin a Mecca for flight enthusiasts. This is my primary reason for heading to Wisconsin. I will go there Monday; there is a panel of "YouTubers" that I'd like to hear, and maybe say thank you for the entertainment they provided for me over the years. Then stroll the static displays and vendor areas -- where I will inevitably find some unique tool or product that I just can't live without. Something like this I picked up a few years ago....its never been used but damn it's cool! It wouldn't be so bad, but independently a buddy of mine picked up the same tool...and he's never used his either :D

Look like there's an art installation near Madison I might want to visit. Hopefully the day is sunny, the colors bright and it leads to some photo ops. Places like this are either hit or miss will be and I'm never sure what to think. But considering the backstory of a wreker who didn't want to destroy any more building a park --- that's an interesting enough backstory to make it worth it.

I though about the Dells - I've never been there, but want to leave with my wallet in tact. Last time I was at Gatlinburg (a sister city) it was so much less enjoyable because every place went wanted $30...each and most of them were owned by Ripleys. I anticipate the same has happened here. Although a good arcade...that might be worth it if they have a retro section.

Dunno -- I'm not accustomed to traveling alone. I'm looking forward to parts, but also am a little put off by the long lonely roads.

Of course -- I might wake up and just head out east to the Jersey shores and try to visit a few trolly parks and boardwalks...and make my way to Point Pleasant to see the Mothman museum that I just missed a few weeks ago....

Van_and_Terri likes this.
  14. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

Living in Florida has only allowed me to visit Oshkosh a few times. I highly recommend attending the Pietenpol flyin in Brodhead, WI the weekend before Oshkosh. I did get to fly one powered by a Model A Ford engine one time. Quite the experience when it’s only turning 1,400 rpm or so.

15. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

That weekend, I'll be at the "gathering"

Florida has Sun 'n Fun --- which is some ways, I think is a better show...not quite as overwhelming...

16. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

Sun N Fun is a smaller show and I think the light plane and ultralight section is better there. But I’ve noticed Sun N Fun is not what it was 20 years ago unfortunately. I’ve been an EAA member over 38 years.

dustinp and Kevin like this.
  17. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

There's a few of us here then :) -- 4 so far I think who are active today.

My interest is very much in LSA. Anything more than daytime VFR was rare for me. I have a partially completed kit - I'd love to fly it someday, but I didn't read Luke 14:28 first...Time, Talent, Ambition. I'm always missing one of the three.

"For which of you having a mind to build a tower, doth not first sit down, and reckon the charges that are necessary, whether he have wherewithal to finish it..."​

Right now it's focus and ambition. When my employer threatened to fire me for not participating in human experimentation, I stopped everything and started looking for my next employer. So far, I've had no great success which has only inspired me to hunker down and focus on more responsible things.

I am still very much looking forward to the show --- I just haven't a clue where I'm heading after that :)

Van_and_Terri likes this.
  18. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

HAHAHA.....AND... Today?

The tow vehicle dropped its water pump!!!!! The alternator went last week, and the muffler started screaming Monday.

aLOL!!!! Awh...shxxxx....soooon!!! (Adam the Woo fans fill get this)

OK. Parts ordered and in stock. Ready for pickup. Looks like Friday afternoon I'll star this. Maybe finish it Monday.

Good Lord above --- please --- give me a break!!!! A week of digital detox, and a moment to pray about my future, I really could use this. I can still make it to OSH on Tuesday. But, if not...it heading over to Point Pleasant WV. I'll bypass KOSH.

-S

Last edited: Jul 20, 2023
    Kevin and Tour 931 like this.
  19. dustinp

Sometimes when it rains, it pours.:(

Kevin likes this.
  20. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I'm just sitting here shaking my head. The good news is they had the parts in stock --- I'm hoping to actually replace the pump this afternoon. Looks like a 2-3 hour job. Worse case I finish it Monday before I figure out where I go from there. Adapt!