Morning Cup Of Coffee And Weather

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tour 931, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Gotta year about that :)

One thing I'm bad at :D

There isn't much worse than power anxiety. Especailly if what you are powering isin the "need" category. For my CI, its never been major issue. Places I go are usually tree covered so solar isn't much of an option, so that means shore power or generator if I'm going to be there for more than 1 or 2 nights.

Plus, I like my heated mattress pad.

Although I'm finding that I get the "tinglies" when I use it. If you've ever had restless legs, it's like that on a minor level, only it is body wide. I know of people who are sensitive to Electro Magnetics, something I've always questioned. But, as I am sitting gin front of 3-4 LCD/LED displays for 10 hours a day, 2-4 computers near me most of the time, WIFI routers, HAM radio equipment, and 2 cell phones...if there may be something to it.

2. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

Yeah, we even covered the bougainvillea plants due to frost warnings last night here in the southwestern valley. On average I'd say we've been running about 10 degrees below avg. for the majority of Dec & Jan so far, ....but still better than Minnesnowta this time of year. :)

3. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I had the TV in my '12. I was saddened when I found out they couldn't get them anymore. I only watched TV once, and that was at a full hookup site we stayed for 1 night. Off-air TV is really sparse when you're in the boonies with a single rabbit ear antenna. I just liked the clean built-in look that was afforded by it. The laptop sitting on the shelf works fine, but its not "ideal"

The flip side is, if something ever happened to the TV you're stuck with a mismatched panel or toting around a broken TV --- there is something to be said for simplicity and discreet components.

I carry about 300 movies and a bunch of TV shows with me at all times now, I can watch them on any browser. So I'm not limited there. My little server and either PLEX or EMBY works very nicely for what I use it for.

I know Bear has experience with EHS. My sensitivity is not as bad as his, the only thing that noticeably bothers me is the heating elements in mattress pads and blankets. I now just turn them on for a few minutes if needed and to warm the mattress. Is it worse than that and the headaches and such are LED/LCD monitors? I don't know. I need to get a good week without all the electronics to see --- maybe in march ;)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
    Kevin likes this.
  4. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I think the biggest problem with a lot of these topics is that they are sensationalized, and often overstated.

Just like the snowmageddon that promised 12 inches of snow that hit my area last night. Sure did sell a lot of french toast in the stores yesterday, and got people to fill their gas tanks....I woke up this morning and didn't have enough snow on the ground to make a snowball. My driveway is clear right now and I haven't touched my shovel.

I had the same problem back then with ours, it was too muffled. We fixed it by just adding an external speaker to the TV, as I recall we used a set of "computer speakers" we had --- made a big difference. Just plugging into the 1/8" headphone jack.

If the camper had the audio system installed it would be awesome :) Which is what I have today. I can tell you that is a very nice option. Although I would opt >NOT< to get the motorized antenna...one of my two regrets. The other is the heater. I wouldn't get it again either. Other than that --- love my camper ;)

Kevin likes this.
  5. Ben

Ben Ranger Donating Member

With recreational cannabis so widespread now, I am wondering if "Moontrance" is a new strain I haven't heard of?

Kevin likes this.
  6. Carl U

Carl U Junior Ranger

7. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

LOL! NOT what I intended to imply!!!

Moontrance is a simple pipe tobacco with a room note that takes me back to my childhood (1970s) when my dad smoked it. It's still available today. This was back when cigarettes were far more common than today but on the way out. I remember him quitting smoking cigarettes; I suspect he was using the Uncle Buck 5 step plan, though he never smoke cigars.

"Isn't that something? I'm on to cigars now. I'm on to a five-year plan. I eliminated cigarettes, then I go to cigars, then I go to pipes, then I go to chewing tobacco, then I'm on to that nicotine gum." -buck​

I have smoked a pipe a few times --- never more than an ounce or two in an entire year. The last time I had a bowl was on April 10th, 2020, at 2 AM while performing maintenance on a software package for my job. As you can guess by my specificity, it was a stressful night.

It's the room note I like --- and you don't get that benefit when smoking yourself. The experience is entirely different. The vanilla and sweetness in Moontrance is truly amazing.

Kevin likes this.
  8. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

I had the same volume problem and ran a line from the audio out on the TV to my stereo.

Kevin likes this.
  9. dougbee

dougbee Novice

A fantabulous tune.

JohnC, Sweeney and Kevin like this.
  10. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Heck just post it here. Another forum has a similar thread with the subject "Am I a thread killer?"

Let 'er rip! Free that inner Art Bell!

Scotch flavored haribo --- somehow I think that would be disgusting :D --- I know, not what you mean :D Just not my thing.

Kevin likes this.
  11. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

We can post about anything here. I got this idea from another forum. We had a morning coffee thread and a separate weather thread and they completed with each other. As owner of the forum I combined the two. If anyone is interested in shooting and especially Henry Rifles I’ll post a link if it’s not against the rules.

Two inches of snow yesterday and two more last night with two more inches predicted for today. It’s in the mid teens and the wind is making two foot drifts in places. I don’t remember reading about the drifting snow in the Wisconsin Move Here brochure!

Kevin and dustinp like this.
  12. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

...you always have to watch out for the fine print.;)

Kevin likes this.
  13. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

There was eight pages of 4 pt font at the end a two page story. I should have read it but the salesman said it was just normal stuff.

Kevin and dustinp like this.
  14. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

By a fantabulous artist.

Sweeney, dustinp, Randy and 2 others like this.
  15. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Back to Van for a second...

16. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Here's a great oldie I just heard yesterday for the first time in I don't know how long...

Kevin likes this.
  17. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Today is National Hot Chocolate Day. Drink up!

18. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

An amazing talent -- what is interesting is he suffers from terrible stage fright...he said in an interview that he throws up before just about every performance.

Oh, back when they used instruments to make music instead of vocoders and sound boards to fix every problem...

Like Franke too --- have to explore that one ....

I'll take a shot or two of rum in mine... ;) maybe after work tonight. Its 12 degrees here....paying for the last week of moderate temperatures. No meaningful snow though so that's good. 8 more weeks....+/- and then we can turn our attention to places to be.

I've booked up about 3/4 of my trips, I'm out as far as I can do with the state wide weekend trips we usually take. I just need to figure out where the 'big trip' will be.

Silver Springs in Florida in the middle of summer? I've talked bout moving there -- might be a good excuse to see how bad it can really be.

Mackinaw Island --- to escape the heat of Florida....

Nothin saying I can't do both --- take 2 weeks off to go to Florida, come back and just slingshot past my home and keep going north a bit farther. 2 days down, 3 days back up to Michigan, 1 day back home...gives 8 "days" out of 16 days where we wouldn't be traveling. So, 5 in Florida, 3 in Mackinaw...that might not be too bad. I love the drive anyway. could always add a day or two...Hmm..think about that.

Sounds like a dinner conversation tonight.

Kevin and Tour 931 like this.
  19. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Been reading some historical novels by Andrew Wareham about the old British Navy:

"Kye" was a hot cocoa concoction much favored by all hands on a cold watch.

kye

Along with other high calories food!
    https://www.warhistoryonline.com/history/royal-navy-fed-sailors-200-years-ago.html?ios=1&safari=1

Much better eating today on our chef quality kitchens in our land yachts, I must say!
    But I grew up on oatmeal and brown sugar for breakfast in winter, plus raisins and a pat of butter, and hot cocoa in afternoons, with those itty bitty marshmellows if you wanted fancy!

Tour 931 likes this.
  20. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Dang, Sweeney- you come up with the best ideas sometimes- FL State Parks do such a good job...
    Silver Springs is in the heart of Ocala horse country too...hmmm!

Outdoor and Nature Activities in Florida

Yes, I hear from the locals they do the "reverse snowbird" and head north when it gets sticky hot hurricane seasonish...

Like AZ folk who migrate to Flagstaff or hunting cabin in say...Star Valley, or Pine to escape the summer heat in Scottsdale...

Any AZ CampInn'ers with a tip or two on where to camp what to see in AZ?
    Thats my next stop...on a cross country RE researching trip to TX, FL...

Reverse Snowbirding!
    Sounds like a job for a Glamping Camper!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
    dustinp likes this.