Morning Cup Of Coffee And Weather

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tour 931, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

I love the easy keurig...only problem is I can overdose on it, its so easy...

2. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

The neighbor took me on a tour of the backwoods maple syrup boiling shacks. Many suggested I make coffee with sap directly from the trees. I ended up with a gallon of raw sap to try it. I’m thinking it might work just as good for tea.

Kevin likes this.
  3. dirty6

dirty6 Ranger

Well I don’t roast beans in camp. But, my method is a stove top popcorn popper, which is totally do-able while in camp.

But, since we camp only a few days at a time, I roast at home and take the fresh goods on the camping trip.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
    Kevin likes this.
  4. dirty6

dirty6 Ranger

I source beans from a few sources. I keep going back to Burman Coffee Traders - good product, good quality.

I roast with a stove top popper and do 8-11oz at a time. Much better yield than an air popper, but my method has its drawbacks

5. dirty6

dirty6 Ranger

Stop talking about my fever dream!!!!

Tour 931 likes this.
  6. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

25F and an inch of overnight snow. I’m heading to the Hill of Beans for breakfast and coffee with three of the neighbors.

Kevin likes this.
  7. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

This is a fascinating topic. One I never reallyexpected here. I was talking to my wife about it earlier today, and she pointed out that of all the "groups" this is the one she WOULD expect it in --- simply becuase this group is made up mostly of people who "Think Differently" -- While most of the world is focused on bigger and badder (A camper in the 70's was a box on wheels, today a 'camper' is towed behind a F450 with 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, gourmet kitchen, and a 50 inch TV) our little group of miscreants is perfectly happy in a shoebox :D

She also pointed out to me that our "Air Fryer" has a rotisserie 'cage' that is probably sized appropriately to roast beans....

I didn't NEED a new hobby this morning....but if I can find this cage ... crap :D

Well, spring is finally here. I had to cut the grass 2 days ago, and it is starting to look like I'll cut it again Saturday. The shot of fertilizer I spread (liquid spray --- so much more affordable than Scotts) 50 bucks of liquid concentrate from TSC lasts a full season of applications, 4 times for about an acre.

I did get very nice annual bonus this year, so I was able to splurge on a new zero turn mower. We have a 30 inch wide one now, but its under powered and produces more clumps than clippings. Espeically in may and september.

I spent a few hours looking --- Looked at Cub Cadets and Toro's primarily. Deere is 100% out of consideration due to their hosing of farmers with "right to repair". The Boutique brands (more commercia, Grasshopper, Hustler etc) were not considered because I really don't need commercial quality....I run it 2 hours a week, not 8 hours a day. Although I have THOUGHT about starting a mowing business --- I truly enjoy it. Just a cut and blow, not a full landscaping business.

The Cub Cadets looked nicer, but I found a lot of people complaining about vibration problems. My toro (though underpowered) has been a stalwart performer even though it was abused for years before I got it. My neighbors toro has made my lawn look terrible by comparison for about the same amount of time...so I ordered a toro.

I just hope it gets here before the next jurassic yard experiment that seems to happen every year.

---

Tour 931 likes this.
  8. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I’m looking to get a 25 hp farm tractor with a bucket and belly mower. Then I thought just buy a small lawn mower and skip the belly on the tractor.
    I have 5 acres with three in lawn and might buy the neighbors 15 acres.

No green lawn here yet. Just white snow.

Kevin likes this.
  9. I've got a Craftsman Lawn Tractor with a 48 inch deck that I've had for 20 years and I like it. My parents have a much newer Craftsman and I don't like that one. Don't have a huge yard, but I pretty much cut year round down in SC. I put rye grass in the backyard otherwise they dogs end up tracking in dirt and mud all winter. Corgi likes the grass short so I cut it in the winter, but once March gets here that rye really grows fast. Right now I can cut it over other day it grows so fast. Once the temps are consistently over 80, it starts die off. Then it depends on much rain we get over the summer as to often I have to cut the bermuda grass and the weeds.

I don't mind cutting grass, but if I ever move from this house, it will be to a place that has a heavy stand of hardwood trees with leaves 10 inches deep so the grass never grows. Then I can camp more.

Tour 931 likes this.
  10. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

If I can buy the field next door I’ll have 12 acres of alfalfa to cut and bail. Might just lease it out. What I really want it for is to build my own private campground.

Kevin and Warren Mary Ellen like this.
  11. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I'd love my own campground....having 10 acres out back and a place to park a rig --- I don't know what it is, but sleeping "under the stars" doesn't HAVE to happen away from home...On nights with insomnia, I've just slept in the garage...just a different setting seems to make a big difference...

I'm just on an acre -- I am certain I 'over bought" -- but the price difference between 42 and a 50 was a non-issue....if I find a piece of property, I'll be ready for it....I REALLY want 10 acres with about 2 being cleared for living --- the rest as camouflage and privacy

My family used to be 'craftsman' --- I have socket sets, drills, routers, that have been passed down to be from my Grandfather...its a crying shame the brand has just become ...what it is. I hate china bombs -- at least Toro is still a US company, with factories in the US, and the motors (Kawasaki) are made in Missouri. I hope...thats what my research showed me.

I'm curious what the value on the old mower is...not sure where to even selll something like this any more -- faceschook market place probably? I hate selling used stuff...

Kevin and Tour 931 like this.
  12. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

21F with three inches of fresh snow. I’ve heard of a White Christmas but never a White Easter.

I haven’t ventured out of the house yet to check my driveway. I might have a foot of drifted snow in it. Twice in the last two months I’ve been snowed in because of drifting snow.

Its such a hard life out here on the Wisconsin homestead.

13. Done with breakfast, so now to finish packing up the camper. Tomorrow’s cup of coffee will be enjoyed by the shores of Lake Hartwell on this season’s first camping expedition.

Jim Carter and Tour 931 like this.
  14. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I'm watching my lilacs set leaves. Amazing to watch -- last year at this time, we cut them off to the ground due to a slight mix up of "Bug killer" and "Brush Killer" --- never confuse those two! So we have 100% new growth since last spring. They are already about 6 feet tall --- hopefully I get a few flowers. These bushes have never produced for us. I suspect the wet soil is the problem. I am not a hordciculturalist, I can grow grass -- not the wacky tobackie type -- and that is about it. I'd love advise from a lilac lover. Lilacs surrounded my grandparents home, so the fragrance brings back wonderful memories....

As close as I get to snow is a field of white under my magnolia as it drops its pedals. We are right on the line here, and only 2 of the 6 years we've not had the flowers frozen off...what a beautiful tree.

Tour 931 likes this.
  15. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I grew up in Spokane which is the Lilac City. They not only look great but also smell good.

16. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I'm filled with envy! I was supposed to have had a trip already this year, but it was foiled by family emergencies. Next week will be my first real camping trip with Serenity -- we took delivery in late fall, and the snow flew too quickly. Those few nights were too cold, and windy -- so camp fire didn't do much to help.

I have only had the opportunity once to spend time in SC once, outside of Columbia. Ft. Jackson more specifically. Needless to say, it was no camping trip back then. Sadly, todays army has succumbed to the emotionally coddled products of our "everyone gets a prize" culture. Many of those "fond memories" that make me laugh today are no longer used.

I'll never for get the "Shark Attack" getting off the bus coming from the MEPS station to the barracks where training started....abruptly.

17. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

While a white Easter is not common, it's far from unheard of around here either..........welcome to the neighborhood! ;)
    Next winter you may want to look into some snow fence to put along your drive to help keep the drifting down a little, or get a good tractor mounted snowblower. :cool:

Attached Files:

18. Sweeney and dustinp like this.
  19. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

My neighbor owned the property before me and have the snow fencing and told me I could have it. I am looking for a small farm tractor with a front loader and a blower attachment.

Van_and_Terri likes this.
  20. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

It’s good to hear someone getting out and camping. I need to do a lot of work around the property to get it ready for the next winter. The summer of 2023 I’m hoping to do a lot of camping. Enjoy your cup of coffee.

Warren Mary Ellen likes this.