Morning Cup Of Coffee And Weather

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tour 931, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

The Tearjerkers Florida Chapter is floundering. It used to be a very active group. I always enjoyed their annual gathering at Tomoka State Park. I guess there are many distractions in life compared to even what it was 20 years ago? Their Facebook Page rarely sees a post.

Kevin likes this.
  2. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

The pinned post at TearJerkers on keeping the OG logo with moons reminds me of some CampInn owners with cool older rides...shout out to SweetLou!

TEARJERKERS: KEEP CALM and CAMP ON!! - TearJerkers.net

And speaking of logo's, and patches, magnets, and badges...we need a "CampInn; GlampOn!"
    Version...if its not copyright infringement...;)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2024 at 7:58 PM
    Sweeney and Tour 931 like this.
  3. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Uff da! Getting warm on the Plains sure ya betcha...but nothing like down south...Santa Anna weather and wildfires are next...

National Weather Service - Graphical Forecast

Weather Channel changed the app in latest update- cant link videos...but some good tips in them, for camping route planning.

4. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

This always goes back to the director --- having one who is engaged, engaging, and does stuff inspires people to get involved. I think you'd do a great job Van...maybe you can help out, or assume the role.

We do several events here. Not including "CRA" Usually spring, summer (or two) and autumn. Always following the same plan. Wine & Cheese, campfire, sometimes a hike, potluck on Saturday, and maybe donuts and coffee during the two days. Not "easy" but not backbreaking either.

Our current director had nice business cards printed (cheap to do by the way) and a few of us walked around the campgrounds introducing ourselves to people who had teardrops. It is AMAZING how few have heard of tearjerkers, they buy the camper unaware this is this really cool community around them. Everyone I talked too was happy to chat.

As for a dead facebook page, just start posting --- hopefully others will see, get engaged, and join in the fun. One thing sales taught me, is enthusiasm sells. If you're excited about a product, people naturally follow along.

Kevin and SethB like this.
  5. SethB

SethB Ranger

As a volunteer leader of several (non-camping) groups over the years I agree with Sweeney 100%

And, most leaders are good for a few years. Circumstances change, motivation changes, etc. An organization/leaders who have an eye on succession are important to sustainability of volunteer-led groups, and sharing the load can help assure that the group continues through life’s ups and downs.

Tour 931 and Kevin like this.
  6. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I think that is what we ran into in the hoosier chapter. The directors (for their own, and good reasons) upgraded to bumper bull full size, and immediately others followed and then the numbers declined. They are all great people, but its hard to be a teardrop group when the guy in charge is in a 30 footer. I still camp with them, but its somehow different.

We'll see what things look like with a young, enthusiastic director who is in his own home-built.

Kevin likes this.
  7. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I can’t sleep tonight. The power went out an hour ago due to high winds and rain. This was the forecast and it’s proving to be correct.
    05C62502-7073-4E51-8222-D6C76EAB29A2 by Tour 931 posted Jun 24, 2024 at 11:06 PM

8. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

As long as the trees dont start coming down, and awnings getting carried away by wind. Wind is probably the most frightening force of nature for me personally. I've been in a debris cloud of a tornado once in my life --- I wasn't frightened at the time, I was too busy trying to do other things...but afterward I got the shakes...

Thats a lot of rain. This is where having a camper of any kind in the driveway and a small generator is a lifesaver, which is why the softsart question has been so front and center.

I've used mine as a 'life raft' a couple of times in such conditions. If I can live on a 15amp power pole with, my laptop charged and the AC running -- I can make it at home. The only problem is prolonged outages as my well pump is 220 volt.

Kevin likes this.
  9. We have not had rain in 3 weeks. My grass is so dry, you hear it crunch when you walk across it. And it is still over 90 at 9:00 pm.

Kevin and Tour 931 like this.
  10. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I go tmine cut today --- just before the rain, so I'm ok until next tuesday :) I'm not quite ready for the summer dormant season, but close.

Kevin likes this.
  11. The crabgrass isn’t even growing. I’ll probably cut mine just to keep the dandelions from going to seed.

Kevin likes this.
  12. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Ive considered planting clover intead of grass. It grows, adds nitrogen to the soil, and doesn't brown out as bad as grass. Mostly it doesn't need to be cut -- it gets to a few inches and doesn't get longer --- PLUS, its great for bees.

Kevin likes this.
  13. backyard has a lot of Clover but the heat and drought have it looking pretty bad. That part of the yard is nearly dirt right now. I kick a soccer ball around every night with the dog and right now it really rolls without thick grass, clover, etc.

14. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I thought clover was heat and drought tollerant. I've got a dog who is semi-retired, and doesn't spent a lot of time chasing balls any more. Probably should, be good for both of us if she did.

I think it is interesting that 100 years ago clove seed was included in just about every grass mixture you could buy, it was considered desireable. And probably will should be except it isn't 'pretty' since it helps build up depleated soil. My neighborhood is somehwere around 50 years old -- and I know some of the yards look pretty rough around the edges, except the few of us who fertilize regularly. Being on an acre, the cost to do that is pretty high...I use a liquid and spray which is the most affordable. Pelletized, you'll go broke with even if you use the 'cheap stuff', which I am not convinced is any less effective that big brands.

Kevin likes this.
  15. You got to remember this is SC heat that is 4 months of hell. It won’t kill it, but just grow much nice it’s hot. My lawn is green, all I do is mow it. We have a 14 month Corgi, he is relentless. The other dog just watches.

Kevin likes this.
  16. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I've been in SC in the summer....it is brutally warm. I'm well aware I'm a yankee at heart :) I fip back and forth where I want to be....at times, Florida others in Michigan --- I think I need the winning lotery ticket to allow me to traval back and forth. Summers in northern Michigan are amazing....temps around 80. Winter in the south with highs in the 70's and 80's. I could do that :)

14 mont corgi -- yah, thats a battery that charges as you pull energy out of it ;)

Kevin likes this.
  17. rmbrowder

rmbrowder Junior Ranger

Watch out for the Corgi attack! Ours likes to sneak up behind us and jump on the back of our knees. It must be a herding instinct as it will bring you down. I keep one eye peeled for the beast.

18. Ours did that to my wife a few minutes ago. Lol. This is our 3rd one so we knew what we were getting into. The second one was pretty laid back for a Corgi. This dude has 2 speeds like most Corgis, asleep & 900 mph.

19. I’m a native & she is from Long Island. She hates the heat. Not sure why she stayed. The school we both started teaching in had no AC. Overcast today, rained for 75 seconds this morning, so not as hot today.