Morning Cup Of Coffee And Weather

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tour 931, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I've considered regional driving. Most RV owners wake up on travel day thinking "Oh, no!" I'm on the other end of the spectrum. 10 hours behind the wheel is relaxing to me. I'm just not sure I would want the days out, not to mention "new week" starting Sunday night....unless I did the spot market as an owner operator where I have a little control....

Kevin likes this.
  2. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Exciting!

3. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Good tips! Ever getting late night door knocks from lot lizards? More dangerous than grizz?

4. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

I find long drives meditative, too.
    And I'm looking forward to finishing the major home project(s) soon to be able to just wander..."hmm, that looks interesting lets turn here".
    Heh, yep no stealth in a shiny CI...

Last edited: Jun 12, 2024
  5. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Great, now I have to watch that movie again --- Jeremiah Johnson, nothing related to lot lizards.

My other thing isn't going quite according to plan; my projections are WAAY off -- simply because my body won't let me stand for 8-10 hours at a time. Its not uncommon to 'starve out' in that business anyway. I'm close, or, at least I can see the trend isn't going in the right direction.

Also, the state of the business is not what it needs to be to be reasonably self-sustaining. Looking at P&L, there are some things there that improve the situation, but I'm questioning the ROI enough that I may take a pass --- the profit in a 2 way partnership makes it tough. I'm an investor, not an angel investor...I have to make my money. We'll see....

Lot Lizards -- I was just talking to a friend about them. He does mostly local, but periodically gets regional work requiring overnight. He said that they are still there but unless you look for them, they won't find you. A simple "no solicitation" on the door is more than enough to keep them away. Frankly, I don't know ...well...lets just say this. I don't like driving used cars. Just sayin'.

Would you do it again? I've seen assessments of income to CDLs swing wildly from "I barely make minimum wage" to "Hell yah..." Frankly, very similar situation to my above comments. I know I can do 10 hours in a row behind the wheel, but I know that there's a lot of dock time that bits into the payday.

I may find myself in a situation where I need to do something like that since my IT skills aren't valued as much as they used to be (old phart perceived as "too experienced" or "Set in his ways, and won't accept current methods.") and my "plan b" doesn't look like it was such a good plan :)

Little frightening, but I just have to remember the house is paid off, and all I owe is taxes....

Kevin likes this.
  6. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Once. I’m not saying she was ugly but I would have preferred a grizz. It’s easy to find if you are looking and just as easy to avoid if you aren’t.

Sweeney and Kevin like this.
  7. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

I loved driving an 18-wheeler! It’s all the non-driving that is a pain. I retired from an office job when I was 54 and got bored. I took a truck driving class and got a cross country job. I drove the least I could and still have a job. When you are under load it’s drive drive drive. Between loads you can make it two hours or two days. Those that made it two hours made a lot of money. Drivers like me didn’t make much but I didn’t care as I had retirement income. So I would arrange to be at a NASCAR track the day before a race. I saw a lot of races for the cost of admission. No air fare. No hotel expenses. And no expensive food bill as I ate regular food in my truck which had a refrigerator, stove and microwave.

My wife was still living at the time and I would fly her down on Friday night and back on Sunday. Once I had her picked up in a limo and driven to a truck stop in Las Vegas. She dressed up and you know what everyone was thinking.

I drove for one year and quit.

Sweeney, Kevin and Van_and_Terri like this.
  8. Found the Hoosier episode from spring 2023, he was at Blackwell horsecamp in the Charles Deem wilderness area up near Bloomington (or down from your coordinate )

we are heading over to Buzzard Roost this weekend, overlooks the Ohio River from up on a Bluff in the Hoosier NF. Then to the food truck festival on Sunday nom nom nom)

Kevin likes this.
  9. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Your situation isn't that different than mine then apparently. Currently, I'm 57 and want to work another 8-10 years.

Covid put a hurt on many small businesses, this this shop is no different. I see this one as just now beginning to get back on track...the sales trend is where they SHOULD have been in 2022.

I'm seeing myself less and less behind the chair. My body just can't take standing that long. My back especially. I camped this weekend and foundmyself awake at night hurting, this never happened before.

I need to figure out how to circle this square. I'm thinking that remaining an owner, consulting on daily issues, and 'running the finances', and coaching my friend and partner. Of course, returning an equity stake.

This is where driving >might< be an option since during the dock time and "down time," I could do those financial responsibilities. Ah, the beauty of a connected world!!!! I really want to help the younger owner succeed --- teach him what I know about leadership, management of teams, and basic money management.

Its that or back to IT for me --- and I want to stay FAR away from "big' anything. Big Pharma, Big money....I've realized none of them give a tinkers dam e.about people and want nothing to do with any of them. I want to be able to walk into the office of a board of directors member and have a real discussion.

We'll see. I'm a little lost at the moment, as I see the plans I made so carefully aren't going to quite work as I thought.

10. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

with that in mind truck driving might be something for you. I would recommend a small company with 20 to 60 trucks. Companies like Swift are not driver friendly and hire a lot of foreign born drivers who will take the abuse.

dustinp and Kevin like this.
  11. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Thats such a great movie!
    "You have done well to keep so much hair..."

Last edited: Jun 14, 2024
  12. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

It rained last night. When I went to bed the gauge had .65” in it from previous days. The forecast is rain for the next seven out of ten days.
    0AD4477E-44DE-4221-A79D-3A4F0C478959 by Tour 931 posted Jun 16, 2024 at 3:32 AM

13. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

Send some to northern Florida! Southern Florida is flooded, while northern Florida is a dust bowl.

Kevin and Tour 931 like this.
  14. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I've heard nothing good about swift. I kind of anticipate I'll be stuck doing Roehl or something like that for a few hundred thousand miles -- to build my safety score. May be buy a tractor/trailer and play the spot market. 10 years and I'd be out....

Crazy time :)

Kevin and Tour 931 like this.
  15. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I was talkijg to my brother in Sarasota. I don't think you need to go that far. he was talking about building an arc...

We've been dry here in Indiana --- wouldn't mind if it stays that way, at least Wednesday through Monday morning. There's a gathering I'm trying to go too. My camping time has been severely limited as of late. :(

Kevin likes this.
  16. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

This is a picture of the monument located just south of Necedah --- the site of the cabin that was burned to the ground in the film. I don't have the whole story, but I know it has been documented.

Another reason to head to the Nest.

Located right here.

View attachment upload_2024-6-16_22-6-35.png

Van_and_Terri likes this.
  17. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

It’s 70F and the humidity is 92% outside. Inside it’s 70F with 50% humidity. Gotta love air conditioning. Especially when it’s 82F and raining like it will be this afternoon.

Kevin and Ken & Peggy like this.
  18. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

We broke down and turned the a/c on yesterday for the 1st time this year. Forecast is 90's for 5 of the next 6 days. 'Broke down' sounds like there was a debate or a struggle, neither of which was true - it was more of a shared glance at the thermostat...

19. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I consider AC to be a life essential, under normal circumstances of course. Living in the midwest where humidity often hovers well above 85%, it impacts quality of work, and relationships as being hot and humid makes people irritiable.

I have considered in stallation of a minisplit to cool just the bedroom, or even a small window shaker, but the reality is we still need to be in the living room and at some point.

When camping --- its even MORE of a necessity. The small space and limited airflow (unless you open wide the doors, and roll out the screens to keep the mosquitos at bay) isn't so good. The sun beats the space mercilessly.

Speaking of which, wednesday through Sunday I've got reservations at my beloved park. woohoo!

Kevin and Van_and_Terri like this.
  20. In SC, we’ve probably had the AC on for at least short stints in all 12 months at some point. Sometimes, you use it to control the humidity because to turn the heat on would roast you out of the house. 94 this week and I’m camping at the moment, so it is definitely on in the camper.