Memorial Day Weekend

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by Warren Mary Ellen, May 25, 2017.

1. Heading out tomorrow after work to Oconee State Park, an old standby for us. I am riding a Charity Bike Ride this Saturday in the area. While I am out spinning my wheels for 62 miles on the bike, Mary Ellen and our daughter will be hanging out in the State Park. Unfortunately, the lake with the swimming area has been drained to fix a problem with the dam, so no swimming there. May have to head down to the Chatooga River to swim and cool off Saturday afternoon. My parents will come by on Sunday and eat with us up there in the mountains. We will have our annual family Putt-Putt Championship at the park's Old school course. $2 per game so you can't beat the price.

Tom & Diana P likes this.
  2. Gypsy

Gypsy Junior Ranger Donating Member

Good for you!
    Here in sunny Florida we are hiding from the masses. Come June 15, lookout!

Warren Mary Ellen likes this.
  3. Oconee State Park, SC Campground Lake
    Site #62 @ Oconee State[GALLERY=media, 1370]How to recover from a 60 mile bike ride in the SC sun.
    Park, SC on the Forest Loop.[/GALLERY]
    Site #62 @ Oconee State Park, SC on the Forest Loop.
    Sunset at Oconee State Park, SC

Evan and Randy like this.
  4. Had a nice weekend camping in Oconee State Park even with the loud group across from our site. I did my 62 Mile Bike Ride Saturday morning and survived. Most of the rest of the weekend was hanging out at the site. We did run up to Highlands, NC for some breakfast when we woke up to rain Sunday morning. Nice town with plenty of good food and especially if you like expensive things.

My parents joined us for the afternoon for a cookout at our site. Great afternoon for it with rain gone. We normally don't camp on this loop because we like being near the lake but our sit has a fisherman's trail to the lake through some mountain laurel where I took the pics.

5. I have a friend that rides one due to a shoulder problem. He loves it but I think he has cut back due to his kids' activities. At the larger cycling events I usually see one or two. I think the big difference is you are lower to the ground so you are a little less visible, you can't generate as much power so hills are slower than a road bike but you will fly downhill since you are lower and they are heavier. There are two wheeled ones and you have to balance them like a bike. I have seen that was three wheels with 2 in the front and one in the rear. Not sure how they compare in cost but not much in cycling is cheap unfortunately. Road bikes are tough on your bike and upper body more than people realize.

I do ride a lot since with bad knees running is out and I prefer to be outside. I can ride year round here outside, it's tough in the winter but doable if you dress correctly. Good luck.

6. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Some people are now adding an electric assist to recumbents to help on the hills.