Maiden Voyage Long Haul, 6660.6 Miles In 20 Days, Aug. 1-20 2018.

Discussion in 'Long Haul' started by Scott & Larisa, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Greetings all, this is my first forum post.

Quick Summary: Larisa and I took delivery of our 560 Ultra (Ser. No. 1946) in June. In this, our maiden trip, we started in Newark, DE, and logged 6660.6 miles in 20 days, travelling through 17 states (Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, Tennessee, Arkansas, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and back to Delaware). Our tow vehicle was a 2017 Chevy Express van, extended wheel base

We have previously taken several long distance vacations, staying in campgrounds sleeping in a tent, and more recently 2 sleeping in the back of our van. Things we didn't like about this arrangement were arriving after dark and setting up the tent, and breaking camp (especially after just one night). Since out usual vacations were long distance with frequent moves, the Camp Inn trailers seemed to be a perfect match for our needs.

Generally we've stayed in places with cooler summer nights such as Wyoming. Larisa has never traveled around the Southwest, and especially wanted to see the Grand Canyon. We did get the air condition option for our 560 Ultra, but with 5 people on the trip, 2 were going to sleep in the van. So with some trepidation on my part fearing hot August nights, we planned a loop going as far south as Texas and west to Arizona/Utah. Our plan was that if nights were going to be too hot for those sleeping in the van, we would just find a motel.

Aug. 1: Depart Newark, Delaware for Tennessee. Because of heavy rains, we stayed in a motel in Tennessee.

[​IMG]
    We are ready to depart! Newark, DE

==================================================================
    Aug. 2: Our first stop was the Davy Crockett birthplace in Limestone Tennessee. It was very interesting to learn about typical living conditions in that time.

[​IMG]
    A reproduction cabin on the former Crockett homestead

[​IMG]
    A park ranger in period clothing.

[​IMG]
    A park ranger in period clothing.

Continuing on I-40, we stopped at the president Andrew Jackson home (the Hermitage) near Nashville. His house is a large mansion and very well furnished (interior photography of the main living quarters was not allowed). We learned that Davy Crockett visited several times and debated Jackson, Crockett being opposed to slavery and the Indian Removal Act.

[​IMG]
    Andrew Jackson's Hermitage estate.

More heavy rains at the end of the day, so we spent the night in another motel.

Aug. 3: We visited Graceland, our 12 y.o. daughter insisted this was a must visit site. After being sort of dragged into it, I must say that I quite enjoyed the tour, and we spent much of the day at the tourist trap complex across from Graceland.

[​IMG]
    Elvis Presley's man cave

[​IMG]
    Elvis Presley's Convair 880 personal jet

Aug. 4: All day travel to San Antonio, Texas.

Aug. 5: We went to the Alamo, which of course was where Davy Crockett's story ended. After the Alamo, we went on the River Walk.

[​IMG]
    Actors in period clothing at the Alamo

[​IMG]
    San Antonio's River Walk

[​IMG]
    Boat ride along the River Walk

[​IMG]
    San Antonio's River Walk

Aug. 6: All day travel to Carlsbad, New Mexico.

[​IMG]
    New Mexico/Texas state line

Aug. 7: We visited Carlsbad Caverns. We bought tickets for a tour, but didn't have time to walk down the cavern (1/4 mile and 850 ft. deep), so we took the elevator down. After the tour, we decided we were up for a challenge and walked out. We were the only ones walking up, and one woman on her way down looked at us in alarm and said "You don't have to walk back up, do you?" We assured her that there was an elevator.

[​IMG]
    Elevator foyer area 850 ft. below the surface

[​IMG]
    The caverns are enormous!

[​IMG]
    The natural entrance to the caverns

That evening we came back to watch the bat flight. They started coming out a little after 7 p.m., and we watched an unending stream coming out for more than an hour. When we left, that bats were still coming out just as strong. Photography/video isn't allowed during the exodus.

Aug. 8: When we checked into the Carlsbad KOA, the man at the desk told us about a place called Sitting Bull Falls, so we decided to check it out on the morning of our departure heading for Tucson, AZ. It was fantastic, and we ended up spending 5 hours at the falls.

[​IMG]
    Sitting Bull Falls State Park, NM

[​IMG]
    The water droplets are large and having fallen a long distance give quite a sting!

[​IMG]
    The girls were sitting next to the falls when the wind shifted and gave them a dousing... the rocks were very slippery so there was no quick escape!

[​IMG]
    A minor side water fall had a pleasantly warm pool beneath it

After the falls, we headed south to I-10 and crossed back into Texas, then after El Paso back into New Mexico.

[​IMG]
    Texas/New Mexico state line

While on I-10 West, a very strong thunderstorm with heavy rain and 60 mph winds caused closure of the highway. We were forced to exit at a rather small town along with hundreds of tractor trailer trucks. Not knowing when I-10 would reopen, and thinking it would be a mess with all the trucks, we decided to take secondary roads into Arizona and then got back on I-10 to Tucson. Upon arrival it was too hot for sleeping in the car (we did get the A/C option for the 560) so we stayed at a motel.

[​IMG]
    Arizona/New Mexico state line

Aug. 9: In the morning we went to the Pima Air & Space Museum. While we did see many interesting aircraft, the highlight was meeting 95 y.o. Richard Bushong, a B-17 bomber pilot during WWII. Richard told us of his harrowing experiences fulfilling 28 missions. He said on every mission the aircraft came back with flak or machine gun holes in it, and of his original crew of 10 he was the only survivor. Richard continued his military aviation career, flying fighter jets in the Korean and Vietnam wars.

[​IMG]
    Pima Air & Space Museum, Tucson, AZ

[​IMG]
    Super Guppy, Pima Air & Space Museum, Tucson, AZ

[​IMG]
    It was an honor to meet Richard Bushong, a great American! Pima Air & Space Museum, Tucson, AZ

That afternoon we headed to Organ Stop Pizza in Mesa, which has the world's largest theater pipe organ (6000+ pipes). You order pizza, and watch/listen to a very accomplished organist while eating. Again, we stayed in a motel for the night because it was too hot for sleeping in the van.

[​IMG]
    Organ Stop Pizza, Mesa, AZ

[​IMG]
    A scoop of Rocky Road, and a scoop of Mint Chocolate Chip. Oh Yeah! Organ Stop Pizza, Mesa, AZ

Aug. 10: We drove to Flagstaff, AZ. That night, we went to went to the Lowell observatory, famous for discovering Pluto and housing the world's largest refractor telescope.

[​IMG]
    Lowell Observatory, Flagstaff, AZ

Aug. 11: We went to the Grand Canyon. While there, Larisa and our 12 y.o. daughter got lessons on traditional basket weaving.

[​IMG]
    Cinnamon buns for breakfast, Flagstaff, AZ

[​IMG]
    Traditional basket weaving lesson, Grand Canyon National Park

[​IMG]
    Grand Canyon National Park. Smoke from forest fires in California made for limited visibility.

Aug. 12: Headed for Moab, UT. First we stopped at the Wupatki National Monument to see pueblo ruins. Next, we passed through Monument Valley. We stopped at a Navajo roadside stand, and purchased some locally crafted treasures. When we arrived that afternoon in Moab, it was a sizzling 109 degrees F, so we again opted for a motel.

[​IMG]
    Pueblo ruins, Wupatki National Monument

[​IMG]
    Monument Valley, AZ (note: some of the distant 'monuments' are in Utah)

[​IMG]
    Navajo jewelry crafts for sale at a roadside stand, Monument Valley, AZ

[​IMG]
    Success! Mementos of our travels through Monument Valley, AZ

Aug. 13: We toured Arches National Park in the morning. When it became unbearably hot, we left the park and enjoyed a banana split at the Moab Diner. But they forgot the bananas (it still tasted great)! That afternoon we went to a tourist trap called "Hole in the Rock". A miner blasted his home and a restaurant into a massive rock outcropping. If you are in the area be sure to stop, it's fascinating (no interior was photography allowed). That evening our 12 y.o. son and I drove the LaSal mountain loop (which starts and ends in Moab), and got some cool mountain air.

[​IMG]
    Arches National Park, Moab, UT

[​IMG]
    Arches National Park, Moab, UT (Smoke from California fires is very noticeable)

[​IMG]
    Arches National Park, Moab, UT

[​IMG]
    Moab Diner, Moab, UT

[​IMG]
    Moab Diner, Moab, UT

[​IMG]
    An interesting tourist trap just south of Moab, UT

[​IMG]
    View to Castle Rock, LaSal Mountain Loop drive, Moab, UT

Aug. 14: We drove a road along the Colorado river to view some petroglyphs, then headed to Canyonlands National Park. Back in town, we stopped by Lin Ottinger's Rock Shop, which is filled with minerals, fossils, and memorabilia related to important dinosaur discoveries he made. We ended the day with cheese cake and ice cream.

[​IMG]
    Colorado River, Moab, UT

[​IMG]
    Petroglyphs along the Colorado River, Moab, UT

[​IMG]
    Canyonlands National Park, Moab, UT

[​IMG]
    The Needles, Canyonlands National Park, Moab, UT

[​IMG]
    Canyonlands National Park, Moab, UT

[​IMG]
    Lin Ottinger's Rock Shop, Moab, UT

[​IMG]
    Ending a hot day with cheese cake and ice cream for dessert, Moab, UT

Aug. 15: Headed for Durango, CO. We stopped at the Canyons of the Ancients National Monument visitor's center, and then made our way to Mesa Verde to see the cliff dwellings. At the site, our ranger tour guide was 71 y.o. David Nighteagle, a most interesting man. At the end of the tour, from his backpack he pulled out a flute which he crafted more than 50 years ago at age 19. He played a Lakota melody. It was truly magical in the setting of the cliff dwelling ruins. Our tour group enthusiastically applauded, but we were all surprised by how loud the applause was and that it seemed to come from everywhere; the sound of applause was much too great for the size of our small group. After a few seconds I realized there were other groups of people in the area of the cliffs, and they too heard the flute and were all applauding. It almost seemed like something that could only happen in a pre-planned movie scene, but it happened spontaneously.

[​IMG]
    Colorado/Utah state border

[​IMG]
    Cliff Dwellings, Mesa Verde, CO

[​IMG]
    Lining up for a view inside the ruins, Mesa Verde, CO

[​IMG]
    Original, 800 year old artwork, Mesa Verde, CO

[​IMG]
    Ranger David Nighteagle plays his handcrafted flute in the setting of the cliff dwelling ruins,
    Mesa Verde, CO

[​IMG]
    View from the top of the mesa, Mesa Verde, CO

[​IMG]
    Hot noodles at the end of the day, Durango, CO (Note: This KOA in Durango had magnificently clean restrooms and showers, as though they were ready for a photo shoot. Highly recommend them)

Aug. 16: On to Colorado Springs, CO, our last destination before heading home. My oldest child lives there with her husband and 2 children, and we were there for a 3 y.o. grandson's birthday party. 2 brothers-in-law were also there, so the 560 made for an extra bedroom during our stay.

[​IMG]
    Continental Divide, Wolf Creek Pass, CO

Aug. 17: Our grandson is really into trains, so I bought tickets on the Royal Gorge Route Railroad.

[​IMG]
    Observation car, Royal Gorge Route Railroad, Cañon City, CO

[​IMG]
    A very serious game of Go Fish underway, Observation car, Royal Gorge Route Railroad

[​IMG]
    Open air car, Royal Gorge Route Railroad

Aug. 19-20: Headed home. First we drove eastward on some remote Colorado secondary roads to US 40, then connected to I-70 East in Kansas. A little after midnight in Missouri we pulled into a truck stop, and I got in almost 4 hours of much needed lay-flat sleep in the 560 Ultra. At 4 a.m. we started again, and made it back to Newark, DE about 11 p.m.

[​IMG]
    Kansas/Colorado state border

[​IMG]
    Stretching out during a fueling stop in Kansas

We totaled 6660.6 miles for the trip. I did all the driving, as Larisa didn't want to have anything to do with driving while towing a trailer. The 560 tracked smoothly at all highway speeds. In camp, it was just what we had hoped for. The 560 sure did get a lot of attention at camps, rest stops, gasoline stations, and parked curbside at my daughter's house. At one rest stop while heading home on I-70, we briefly showed the galley, tables, and interior to a curious couple, and the couple was so interested they wanted information, so we gave them one of the brochures from the packet that came with the trailer.

[​IMG]
    Odometer reading, Vacation Aug. 1-20, 2018

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  2. Gypsy

Gypsy Junior Ranger Donating Member

Great write-up with great photos! Thanks for sharing your big adventure!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    Kevin S likes this.
  3. Jim Carter

Jim Carter Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

It sure looks like a great time. It is definitly a much easier setup and teardown with these campers!

4. jsnrdy

jsnrdy Newbie

Awesome write up! We own 944 and have 4 kids so we are slowly outfitting to accommodate everyone. Older kids sleep in tents and our twin 2.5 year olds sleep in the bunk with us. I'm looking into a Skybox for kid gear. With that installed on the 560, can you still use the fan?

5. Everyone, thank you for you comments.

Jason, I used a Yakima SupPup paddle board carrier as a spacer to give the roof box a few inches of clearance above the dome cover for the ventilation fan. The clearance is sufficient to allow the dome to open a bit and give modest, but useful, ventilation. When the fan is set to blow into the cabin, only the first (slowest speed) is of any use; higher settings just make more fan noise but don't result in more air flow. While the low fan speed blowing into the cabin is useful, the air flow is not as strong as when the dome is fully open.

When blowing out, the higher fan speeds can be used, but again at reduced effectiveness compare to when the dome is fully open.

The roof box seemed to be an effective rain cover, and I'm thinking about removing the ventilation dome cover the next time I take a long trip with the roof box mounted.

All things considered, I'm glad I got the SupPup. We were able to use the fan while keeping the cabin uncluttered.

[​IMG]
    Yakima SupPup attached to the bottom of a Thule Pulse M (with FastGrip mounting system) roof box

[​IMG]
    Ventilation dome opened for road travel (not in contact with the roof box). It could open another 1/2 inch, resulting in contact with the roof box (which was fine for the camp site)

6. Ben

Ben Ranger Donating Member

If my recollection serves correctly, the top vent should be closed during travel. Apparently it's ok with some other RVs but the Camp-Inn has particular aerodynamics at speed that are problematic when the dome is left open. I have accidentally left mine open for short stints with no discernible ill effects.

7. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Great post! I enjoyed every word and picture.

8. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

Scott, couldn't you have driven just 6 more miles?;)
    It was great fun following your travel pictorial!
    We've been to several of the places you visited, including Organ Stop Pizza, and it is truly an amazing work of art / technology. In addition to all the pipes the organ plays, there are literally hundreds of other musical instruments lining the walls, and even the ceiling, that the organist controls from the pipe organs keyboard as well. If you would like to hear a particular song, write its title on a slip of paper near the organ podium, and the organist will play your requests too! It's really a fun, unique way to have a very good pizza if you are anywhere in the vicinity.

9. Ben, I missed that part of the owner's manual. But everything still works, it was only opened a bit.

Tour 931, thank you for your compliment!

Dustin, yes, that thought did occur to me. But I think I would have messed it up and not pulled over at the right moment. You're right, the drums, percussion, accordion, piano, etc. played by the organist are all lot's of fun and it's so much more than just the pipes. I especially like the quacking duck, but my real favorite is when the curtains are drawn back and the dancing cats make their appearance to the music of 'Alley Cat'.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  10. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Fantastic write-up and pictures! Thanks for sharing. Don’t forget to send a PM to @KathyBob with your address so she can mail your pin.

11. Old Growth

Old Growth Newbie

Great write up, we have done similar long family trips when our kids were young and they are the best, great way to create lasting memories. Unfortunately we didn't have our Camp Inn at the time which would have made them all the better. Hats off to you for that long dead head return trip.

12. KathyBob

KathyBob Junior Ranger

Great story. Please private message your address so I can send your pin. Thanks, Kathy Piggott

13. scoen

scoen Novice

Thanks for all the pictures and the stories that go along with them!