Lots of opinions on Canopies

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Evan, Jul 7, 2011.

1. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

Where did you get the boat cover stays? I can imagine some 3D printed ends to clip onto the roof poles. My bungee cords are an imperfect solution.

2. rmbrowder

rmbrowder Junior Ranger

The stays and ends were purchased from West Marine. Two work fine with the hatch open, a third might be useful.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  3. rotus8

Great, the West Marine stays are much higher quality than the ones on Amazon; they are molded with nice rounded edges where the Amazon ones are cut from a sheet and have sharp edges that shed fibers.
    I got three 8 foot stays, then designed and printed three sets of brackets. The stays are cut in 43.5" long pieces. The fit is good and support the canopy cover well. There was no rain (thankfully) on our latest outing so I can't attest to the prevention of any water pooling, but I think it should work.

I am happy to share my design files if anyone wants to try printing their own.
    View attachment upload_2021-3-31_12-24-50.jpeg View attachment upload_2021-3-31_12-25-7.jpeg View attachment upload_2021-3-31_12-25-32.jpeg View attachment upload_2021-3-31_12-25-46.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    Chuckwagon likes this.
  4. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

Nice job!
    I don't have a 3D printer, but you sure make a compelling argument for getting one!
    Any recommendations?

5. rotus8

3D printing is not for the faint of heart, it can have a steep learning curve. Having said that, my two printers are from XYZ printing, but I started out with a build it yourself printer kit my son gave me, that evolved until I grew out of it. One factor is the support of different kinds of plastic, the usual beginner stuff is PLA which will not stand the temperatures and UV of the outdoors. For these brackets I used polycarbonate (PETG) which is a learning experience all its own.

Another thing to realize is that 3D printing is SLOW. The nine pieces for this took four days to print, plus a day of design time and prototypes.

Don't get me wrong, 3D printing is a great tool (fun toy too) and I think if you have time, patience, and a technical bent, it is worth looking at, just do your research before starting out. I've printed some great things, pieces for the Camp Inn, for my car and truck projects, repair and technical bits around the house, as well as puzzles and toys for the grandkids. The variety of things you can make is endless; for a start, check out Thingiverse - Digital Designs for Physical Objects.

6. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

Good points, well taken. Not something you do on a whim.
    Thanks

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  7. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

No wiser words have ever been said!!!! Getting CAD software and drawing simple brackets for project I'm working on is a project for next week....

I started using Sketchup --- this was years ago --- whats the current preferred tool set for n00bs?

8. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

well this is not really a reply but...
    We have a Northern Breeze screen tent which we were doing a test run on whether we could still put it up by ourselves (senior women) post Covid year.

In doing so we didn't get far as one pole snapped.

So here is the deal can anyone use it for parts or if you can find a pole replacement FREE. We have loved it but it is beyond my 80+ strength.

The fabric is all in good condition (no rips).

Not sure how we would mail it but if you pay for shipping we maybe could figure it out.

9. AlCat

AlCat Junior Ranger Donating Member

We've used the REI Alcove for many years, and we hate it as much as everyone else who keeps on using it. After using it during some cold rain recently, we've decided to reinvestigate the topic: what's the best tent out there TODAY for our purpose? Most of the posts here are many years old. Anything new?

The solution must have side walls, though, so it could also function as a screen room. Would be nice if it had attachable solid walls, too, so you could use it for changing clothes, for showers/other; for avoiding wind). Rain shelter is the most important, though.

-Al

10. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Oh this is a hard subject. The equipment I used to LOVE has all gone out of production. The best was the Pahaque Cottonwood. It checked a lot of boxes....light, stood up to wind, well ventilated, easy to set up, water proof, and had sides. But that company has apparently gotten out of that business and seems to have fallen in love with side tents for volume manufactured trailers :(

Of the currently available, the best options are Clam shelters I suspect. They are easy to set up (but don't screw it up!) and come down just as easily. But, they are lacking in the ventilation department. I keep hoping to find one that is all screwed up in a dumpster....that way I can experiement with removing some of the screen mesh. If it maintains its rigidity with just the poles and non-screen fabric it may be a great alternative to cottonwood.

I had to go to Europe to get it...Coleman makes the "Event Shelter Pro 3mx3m" I havn't set it up yet, but I just got it in the mail a couple weeks ago. The material is thick! It's really heavy, more like canvas that tent material. Steel bars is probably the "weak point" since steel rusts, is heavy and is not at all flexible.

I suspect we'll probably use the $40 ozark trail easy-up clone...maybe open a few holes for extra water drainage...but none of these things stand up to Mother Nature worth a @@#$.....with the exception of the Cottonwood...that lasted me 6-8 years before I killed it.

Following with interest....

11. sarmay

sarmay Junior Ranger

I am considering buying this Gazelle gazebo. It has two doors, and it has wind panels that roll up (like tent windows) to allow a full breeze. The panel over the big door can be used as a canopy, which I would use my suction cups to attach to the camper. We bought a Gazelle tent because my son is now too big for the bunk bed, and we have been really happy with the quality so far.

G6 Deluxe 6-Sided Gazebo

Sweeney likes this.
  12. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Nearly identical to the CLAMs. These are fantastic in the shoulder months....summer, just a little hhhhwarm. But Love this design. I see a TON of this design...whoever came up with it...genius. Pure genius

Only word of caution is to make sure you read, understand, and follow all set up and take down instructions....or you'll be sad. For the record, as a very impatient individual, it took me 2 hours to disassemble...not collapse...took apart every nut bolt and screw...it and put it back together correctly. There was no way to untie that knot....

13. sarmay

sarmay Junior Ranger

I'm unclear why you disassembled it? Our gazelle tent took me 2 minutes to put up and about that to take down the first time out of the box. Very simple.

14. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

There are quite a few youtube reviews on the Clams. It's really all about your wants/needs. For the price, it's not possible to be all things to all people. I really wish the CI side tent were larger.

15. L57

L57 Novice

How about the ARB awning with side room. It has a floor and mesh screen windows. There are other awning rooms, CVT has one. Does anybody use the ARB Awning a room

16. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

This looks really interesting. Please post a review if you do end up getting it!

17. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

it is until it gets opened upside down and twists….then it’s easiest to remove all the posts and reassemble.

if you follow the correct instructions….it’s a no brainer. Do it wrong and like the Rubics cube….it’s easiest to get out the screwdriver.

18. SethB

SethB Ranger

We’ve been using an ARB 8’ (2500) awning & love it. This season we added the awning room. We have driveway setups & only one night on the room. So far so good!

*We had to raise the awning 7” to get the right pitch height on the room. It may be different for the 6’ awning/room.
    *The wheel well somewhat interferes with the pitch. It may not be a problem as we get more nights. 6’ may be different.
    *Space, construction, etc are great.

One of these photos shows a little of the bracket extension I fabricated.

After a 1-night shakedown, it does provide changing privacy, a place out of the weather, a place for the potty when boondocking. We’ll learn more next month...

Attached Files:

Matthew Nelson and L57 like this.
  19. L57

L57 Novice

In

20. L57

L57 Novice

Thank you. Great to see one set up. Looks high for my 550. Sure does provide a lot of extra room