Lost Nut on Leveling Jack

Discussion in 'Electrical & Mechanical Issues' started by sardineman, Apr 15, 2012.

1. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

I used a "roll pin", basically a rolled up piece of spring steel, unfortunately I don't remember the size. Take the cap to a hardware store that has those bins of small hardware and find the right size; it should be tight so that you have to use a hammer to push it in. Get more than one and keep for the next time it breaks. I have broken three so far.

Kevin likes this.
  2. rmbrowder

rmbrowder Junior Ranger

The links in the older posts aren’t working, for me. You might try Stabilizer Accessories – Ultra-Fab Products Also, looking at the construction/attachment of the nut it seems that using a power driver (drill or impact) might contribute to damage to the cotter pin. Thoughts?

Kevin likes this.
  3. Lipster

Lipster Junior Ranger

I believe the nut is like a socket that fits over the shaft of the long acme screw. The roll pin or cotter pin only keeps the nut from falling off. It does not really transmit any torque.

Kevin likes this.
  4. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

I agree that using a power driver may shorten the life of the pin, but that won't keep me from doing it. I just keep spare pins and a spare cap in the trailer for when it fails. Not having to crank the jack by hand is worth the trouble of replacing the pin now and then.

Kevin likes this.
  5. SethB

SethB Ranger

This will be way over the top to many…

I could see riveting the nut to the shaft. A shallow countersinking of the pin holes in the nut with a drill press, then rivet flush with a steel non-galvanized nail of the right size. Say, a finish nail.

It’s a method I’ve used, coincidentally, on a small shop-made ball-peen hammer I use for riveting!

Kevin likes this.
  6. scoen

scoen Novice

Cary Winch likes this.
  7. Tom Sutor

Tom Sutor Novice

They probably weren't designed for impact drivers. If you use a hand wrench I doubt you will never have this problem.

Sweeney and SethB like this.
  8. campdude

campdude Ranger

Are you sure about that?

dustinp likes this.