Lithium Battery Charger

Discussion in 'Electrical & Mechanical Issues' started by Randy, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

My first step in preparing for a lithium battery will be to install a new charger. I believe this one will work, it’s water proof and will fit well in the existing space under the trailer and settings can be changed via Bluetooth. anyone else converted to Lithium Ion and replaced their charger? Any comments on the particular charger? Thanks

Blue Smart IP65 Charger (120V and 230V) - Victron Energy

RollingRob likes this.
  2. SethB

SethB Ranger

I’m using the 120v / 10a version of this charger with a Victron lead-acid AGM and it’s been great! 10a is the most powerful charger I’ve owned. Victron seems like a very quality product, more used in marine and solar applications, but, fantastic for RV use too. Charger / batt details in my thread Cpap Power For Boondocking .

That being said, I got into this system late last season, and it’s been nicely maintaining a good charge & all, but, this will be the first season of use.

RollingRob likes this.
  3. Randy

Thanks Seth, actually you were the one who found this for me, thank you. Thanks for the thread link also, need to go through that. Do you have it mounted under the camper replacing the original charger.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    RollingRob likes this.
  4. SethB

SethB Ranger

Right - I just went back and reviewed that thread. I don’t have it mounted; I’m running the stock CI (large) battery and charger, and currently have the Victron batt & charger parked in the headboard cabinet. When we hit the road the charger goes elsewhere to make room for the cpap.

5. Randy

Seth, is there a formula for determine what amp charger to get? Are there choices in amperage for this charger?

6. SethB

SethB Ranger

Victron suggests aH/5 as the best charger amperage for longevity of lead/acid AGM. There’s their big battery reference book linked here, which is, I think, where I got that figure.

On the other hand, common practice is lower charger amperages. E.g. I think CI is supplying a lower capacity charger, don’t have that in front of me. And I bought a 10a charger for a 60aH batt, or aH/6.

I think that particular charger you speced (and I bought!) is available in 7, 10, and 15 amp versions.

RollingRob likes this.
  7. Randy

Thank you so much Seth, as you can tell My knowledge of electricity is zero amps! :) Given that there are choices I am going to choose my battery first and get them to recommend what amp charger to get. Grateful to you for finding this charger!

RollingRob likes this.