Kern River Valley

Discussion in 'Adventures & Excursions' started by Randy, Nov 5, 2023.

1. Randy

Randy Ranger Donating Member

Sharing a little video log of a recent trip to the Kern River Valley and Trail of 100 Giants. I can't recommend the KRS RV Resort at Camp James https://www.krsrvresort.com/ highly enough. About a dozen premium sites literally right on the river with electric and many amenities including dog park, camp store, clean showers and fly fishing right from your camp site! Very welcoming and friendly staff. It's about 4 hours from Orange County, CA. Not the easiest as it includes about 25 miles of very winding mountain driving but well worth it. 45 minutes north of the campground (which includes 20 miles more of mountain driving) is the fabulous Trail of 100 Giants. So much fire damage all around, very sad but amazing that they were able to save this grove. "Ember" is our 6 month old Vizsla and new camping buddy (we lost our V Rika a couple of years ago).

2. SethB

SethB Ranger

One for our list the next time we wander south! I haven’t been to Sequoia since I was a little kid…

Kevin S and Randy like this.
  3. SLO Camper

SLO Camper Junior Ranger

Very nice, and that's one of my favorite bands.:)

Kevin S likes this.
  4. Randy

Me too. Mandolin Orange aka Watchhouse (don’t know why they changed their name)

Kevin S likes this.
  5. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

Thanks for the review.
    Wonderful pics Randy.
    And "who's a good dog!"... what a sweetie.

Randy likes this.
  6. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Have to try and remember this for when we make our way out West again, it looks beautiful.

Kevin S and Randy like this.
  7. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

PS: Randy what camera and video resolution did you use for the video, and what software to edit, add music?

Thats beautifully done imho!
    and saving youtubes as private vlog content on camping memories to share to friends and family by just a link is brilliant.

I've sorta been noodling on same...plus gear...
    (go pro? Digital camera? Drone carrying phone?)

but wary of another "project" that gets in the way of actual camping..,

But...today, I was...
    Just at the Apple Store Genius Bar having the young whippersnappers check my iphone, check out cracked screen etc...
    sign said "ask how much trade in?

The new Iphone 15 looks like it can do big things...5x telescopic lens, 48 something something definition, and lots of storage...

Sure would be nice to just use one device for photos and videos and an app to edit into a show...

Last edited: Nov 6, 2023
  8. Randy

Thanks for the kind words Kevin, love making these little video logs of my trip. I have to confess I am not a photographer and use only my IPhone Promax 13. I do crop and edit most of my pictures using the IPhone editing function and an IPhone app called "PS Express." Also make use of an app called "Slow Shutter" for effects and night time photography. I have a tripod, selfie stick and remote as well.

For the video, I use "IMovie Maker" for windows (since I don't have a Mac...yet). It's not cheap at $9.99 per month but does everything I need it to do. Not super-intuitive so there is a learning curve to it but I really like it.

Someday I hope to get a real camera and learn more about photography but it is amazing what these phone cameras can do these days.

Cheers,

Randy

SethB likes this.
  9. Kevin S

Kevin S Ranger

Thanks Randy, same iphone I have, that I got at the time two years ago for two reasons related to CI travel:
    Big jump in camera capability
    And
    The chipset allows for seperate tower up/down in poor cell connectivity which presumeably helps in remote areas.

Just a couple simple accessories like a tripod and good to go! KISS "keep it simple and small", fits the CI doing dual or triple purpose as my gear ethic.

I've read that pro photogs use iphones for some stuff and I've been saving this new hobby for when more CI traveling-
    So thanks again for the tips, and I hope to follow in your footsteps on youtoob soon!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2023
    Randy likes this.