Announcement It Will Be A Long Wait

Discussion in 'Announcements & Build Journals' started by pbaker2225, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Pat,

Looks like I'm in the minority on the sunroof. ;)

After 13 years, still love it, no problems. Being slightly claustrophobic, it gives me the feel of more "breathing room" (which is also why the campers are 5 ft. wide, have 2 doors & front windows). Also love the extra light coming in, as it really brightens up the interior. If we don't want the sun, then we pull the curtain across it.

Having camped in ones with just the fan, I will say I'm not a fan. :D Felt too closed in for me.

It all comes down to what makes you comfortable. With the 560, you will have more windows, so that is a nice trade for no sunroof.

You will love it...trust me. :)

:cool:

2. slumry

slumry Novice

I was very skeptical about a sunroof but as I told my wife, I can always just cut a hole in the roof later if we want one. At that point, she told me to just go ahead and order it with the trailer so I will not wreck the trailer later. Now that I have it, no one is gong to take it away from me. We like the extra light and in the NW, we always have trees to look at. The one thing we both really like while camping is waking up with the sun; pulling the curtain from the sunroof to get the morning sun is a lot more private than pulling the curtains from the doors and windows. So far no leaks and it does add more options for ventilation.

3. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Hey,Stephen - this thread is for discussing the cons of the sunroof only. We are trying to help Pat feel better about not having one.

Con #1: If you don't live in the NW, the sun shines in and gets sunlight all over everything.
    Con #2: If you live in the NW the sun never shines in, so you never get sunlight all over everything.
    Con #3: If you open it in a rainstorm everything gets wet.
    Con #4: If you open it in good weather, there will probably be a rainstorm.
    Con #5: If you open it, the bugs will get in.
    Con #6: If you close it, the bugs can't get out.

Come on folks, this is a group effort here...

4. mcjimjam

mcjimjam Junior Ranger Donating Member

Thanks for my laugh of the evening, Evan!!!

5. slumry

slumry Novice

Oops, never mind. What was I thinking; of course sunroofs are a bad idea, I tell you they are the work of the devil. Only fit for use by lazy lounge campers. They ruin resale value and it is well known that bears have learned how to open them and retrieve tasty snacks. I plan on selling ours but I am not sure what I am going to do with the resulting hole in the roof.

6. pbaker2225

pbaker2225 Junior Ranger Donating Member

Betsy, I don't think you are in the minority at all. Some of these people have been telling fibs and building up the negatives just to make me feel better.
    Thanks everybody, I did feel better. Thanks Evan. You guys are all so funny. I was just getting over the disappointment of not having the sun roof. Darn, now I'm bummed out again. Good thing I've already decided I'm going to be happy no matter what. I'm really looking forward to picking up my trailer and going on the shakedown cruse.

7. jfocallag

jfocallag Junior Ranger Donating Member

Pat, when you sat in my camper and decided that you wanted a 560, I don't think it was because of the extra hole in the ceiling. Matter of fact, the curtain was probably pulled shut because the sun was shining. Don't be bummed. I am getting excited about your upcoming trip. I can't remember if you are going to be back in time for Mossyrock. I hope so. Will love to hear the story. There is something special about the trip to pick up the camper that you will never forget.

8. pbaker2225

You are right Joan, the curtains were closed when I sat in your camper. It seemed very roomy and comfortable. I am thrilled with my decision to go with the 560.
    It has been fun to have the folks on the forum talk about all the disadvantages of the sunroof to help me get over my disappointment. I know there are advantages to having the sun roof and there are advantages to not having it. I will be one of the people enjoying the advantages of not having it. That's just the way it is.
    I plan to be home by the time of the Mossy Rock gathering. I hope I will be comfortable enough towing to drive through Seattle. I am nervous about towing. Especially in heavy traffic. I'll have almost a thousand miles to get used to it on the way home. Someone on the forum said they felt comfortable after 400 miles. Will you back my trailer in if I can't do it? lol

9. JoeB-NW

JoeB-NW Novice

Pat,

My wife and I are heading to WI on the 9th of May to pick up our 560. Out of curiosity when are you scheduled to pick yours up? Our maiden voyage will have us back in WA just in time for Mossyrock, matter of fact that weekend will be the 13th and 14th days of a 15 day trip home from the nest.

Joe B and Alex

10. pbaker2225

I will be picking up my trailer on the 2nd of May. My daughter who will be traveling with me needs to be back at the ranch in Montana by the 8th. I will stay at my brothers place near Montello for a few days. I wanted to make it a longer trip but since I don't have much experience towing and backing up I wanted her to go with me. After I drop her off I will have a little time to get used to traveling on my own but I haven't planned that part of my trip yet.
    I'm looking forward to meeting you at Mossy Rock. Michael and I were both there last year in tents. We had both ordered our trailers and started the long wait.

11. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Sure is gonna be fun seeing you and Joe with your new trailers at Mossyrock Pat. Here's hoping all goes according to plan, everyone arrives safely and we have sunny dry weather.

Michael

12. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Here here!

13. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Kewl Pat,
    I'm sure you've see the "Backing up" threads here:

- Keep hand on bottom of steering wheel and turn it the way you want it to go.

- Joan has an excellent Idea of putting something(on the drivers side), jug/carton/box anything at about where you want the TD to end up and steer towards that.

- if too much of an angle, then straighten it up going forward and retry..

I have a tight spot in my condo tract and if people park right next to me in "Their spot" it's a 5-7 turn try.

The more you do it, the easier it is...

Oh, heheh, and one last trick, if you have someone guiding you in the back make SURE you both know what the signals are.. left = ??
    Right=???

At the very end of the spot, if I"m guiding, I'll put my hands out apart as wide as possible and then bring them in as the driver gets closer and closer, usually stopping at about a foot or so. Cross arms means "STOP" heheh, fun... OH...
    (and I'll stop after this one)
    At night, have the person shine the light sway from you. Most shine the light AT you and of course you can't see anything...

Fun, it does get easier, but I still can get confused at times.. heheh..
    HTH...

14. pbaker2225

Yes Michael, It is going to be quite a change from last year. Did I tell you I haven't put up my tent since Mossy Rock? When you told me you were not going to put up that tent again I remember asking, "What your not going to do any more camping till you get your trailer? I was so surprised at that. Ha Ha
    That sounds like a good idea Joan had. I'll remember that one. I have been reading about backing up techniques on the forum and YouTube. I guess it is just practice and more practice. I just hope I don't put dents in my trailer. I know the first one will be the hardest to take. I hope to always be settled somewhere before night fall but I know it is easy to get caught out later. Thanks for the tips, Frank.

15. pbaker2225

My daughter says she puts her hands on the top of the wheel and when she is looking in the mirror if she sees too much trailer on one side she brings her hand toward it. I guess I'll just have to experiment and see what works best for me.

16. fpoole

17. pbaker2225

You look comfy there with your fire going and your lights.

18. Bev

Bev Novice

Joe B and Alex....and Pat,
    Congrats, you're all on the home stretch!

Frank, you always make me chuckle.....it's easy to see you are enjoying yourself on retirement time! Always love the pics you post. I zoom right in on the different ways you set up camp based on the site and views.

I need to get back to Pat.....hey Pat, my two cents on the sunroof even though you are passed it. Yes, they are nice....it only took me a second to decide I wasn't going to order my tear with one. I'm glad I didn't.

Everyone enjoy your day!

Beverly

19. fpoole

Yes M'am... gotta have the lights... it's just not the same without them..
    And I do put them around the TD when I don't use the Canopy... works out fairly well...

Sites and views are important... I don't like camping and looking at a bunch O'Bushes. I've tried it a few times and left, A-hem, unless Carmen (the Blender) is working.. then??? heheh, it don't really matter...

but I didn't buy this thing (Le Droppe) to just look at bushes.. so the sites view are important and the ability to move it around helps a lot.

No Matter how close... (Keystone ferry, WA)

[​IMG]

More pics here

Except Underwater eh??

[​IMG]

heheh, fun...

20. pbaker2225

I always enjoy your pictures too, Frank. I'm sure a good blender does make the view unimportant.
    Thanks Beverly, I'm beginning to be a little glad I won't be having a sunroof. My daughter can't sleep if a little sliver of light is coming in. The only time I'll miss it will be when the sky is beautiful at night and then like Joan said I can't see anything without my glasses anyway. I'll just have to get me a lounge chair and my wool blanket so I can lay out under the stars.
    The time is getting short. I'm really excited.