It Fits!

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by SethB, Mar 27, 2023.

1. SethB

SethB Ranger

A CI is not a big camper, and one of the challenges I’ve faced is how I might bring way too much just-in-case stuff on our camping trips. So, a few notes on some handy items that take hardly any space, yet seem to contribute to our camping.

First on my list is the 8-foot Sportbrella (link). Close readers of the lengthy Lots of Opinions on Canopies thread (link) have seen how handy the thing is for quick protection of the cooking area from mist or showers. As long as the rain is not horizontal!

It also stows very nicely on the countertop when traveling, taking no room at all. Then, when you’re setting up, toss it under the back of the trailer until needed. It’s really a very quick setup and takedown, with no poles, lines, or stakes. A special shelter for the cook!

I invite CI owners to contribute their own experience of the bits and bobs that enhance their camping while taking good advantage of available storage in a CI!
    BD3C544B-2701-42A6-B64D-7223DA6B396A by SethB posted Mar 27, 2023 at 7:42 PM
    88D0894C-55B1-476D-9963-7FDE77C77A6A by SethB posted Mar 27, 2023 at 7:51 PM

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
  2. SethB

SethB Ranger

The next entry is also for the kitchen. For me, early camping experiences frequently started with a massive breakfast, including bacon, eggs, pancakes, and bacon. Adult refinements included breakfast burritos (onions/peppers in the eggs), home fries, french toast, etc.

It so happens that not only does a Lodge 20x10” Cast Iron Reversible Grill/Griddle (link) fit perfectly over the burners of the CI standard stove, but the stove can be slid in to its storage nook with the griddle still on top. With a 1/4” thick poly cutting board on top - you’ll need this for the onions, peppers, and any dinner stir fries.

There are some compromises… a little leaning forward from the waist when stirring or flipping, taking care not to throw food down the back side, getting the burner settings just right… and I’d suggest two spatulas for stir-frying - mongolian grill style. The griddle does take the whole of the stove, so plan your hot water needs around that. You need two hot pads to manage the griddle. Cast iron care is a whole other subject, but easy when you have the methods.

Frying onions waiting for the summer squash for a dinner stir fry:
    835A9C95-3955-4860-94EA-4AB18798F967 by SethB posted Mar 28, 2023 at 9:03 AM
    9257C7A9-8ABA-41C0-8BD9-DBC8BC595730 by SethB posted Mar 28, 2023 at 9:01 AM
    Alas, the first photo shows a different griddle - oops. We’ve been at this a while and have tried different things.

Jenn, Van_and_Terri, Kevin and 3 others like this.
  3. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Those are great additions, similar to what I use.

Cast iron is a must-have! We use the exact same griddle for our expeditions. I find doing eggs is a little bit of a delicate act. Even if the trailer is level the whites tend to do other own things. I added set of "egg rings" which fixes that problem.

We also eat a lot of bac0n. I 'par fry' ours at home, then when we get to camp we finish cooking it. its fries quickly and helps reduce the cooking grease problem.

Jenn, Van_and_Terri and SethB like this.
  4. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Do you know you mentioned bacon twice...?

Jenn, SethB and Kevin like this.
  5. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

Seth, I'm getting vibes of Cowboy Kent Rollins. Are you available for hire? ;)

6. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

Never can get enough bacon ;-)

Jenn, JohnC, SethB and 1 other person like this.
  7. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Plus one on the Sportbrella- i got one based on tips here and in combo with the galley screens and the trick of popping open the countertops to screen the stove, it made cooking in blustery desert winds and sun very doable.
    Edit: +100; mmmm bacon!

SethB likes this.
  8. SethB

SethB Ranger

Right! That should read:
    …early camping experiences frequently started with a massive breakfast, including bacon, eggs, bacon, pancakes, and bacon.
    Great tip on the egg rings!

We’ve been buying the pre-cooked bacon <gasp>, Kroger’s house brand is as good as any, and better than most. Stores at room temperature! Unfortunately I’ve only found thin-cut, but bacon when camping is a special treat.

Jenn, Ken & Peggy and Kevin like this.
  9. Carl U

Carl U Junior Ranger

Jenn and SethB like this.
  10. Van_and_Terri

Van_and_Terri Ranger

Thanks for the tip on the egg rings. I just placed my order.

Jenn, Sweeney, SethB and 1 other person like this.
  11. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

I have found that one thing goes better with bacon, than anything else. More bacon.

Jenn, JohnC, Ken & Peggy and 2 others like this.
  12. SethB

SethB Ranger

Next up, I take you back to Spring 2020, the beginning of pandemic lockdown. How are we going to get out of this place for some summer camping? That’s what we were asking ourselves. Lots of people were having cabin fever. The popular camping spots were overwhelmed. How to find a place?

We settled on meeting friends & family in a wilderness trailhead campground on the far side of the wilderness from our major metro area. When I called the Forest Service ranger station for local info they said: “That campground is closed. But you can camp there. We’re just not maintaining it, don’t count on the pit toilets, water service, etc.” I guess the water system had failed, and nobody was going to fix it in Spring/Summer 2020!

OK, we need gallons & gallons of water for a 3-night stay. But what about toileting? Research! Purchase! Is it in stock? Will it ship in time? Will it fit?

We ended up with an internet order for a CleanWaste toilet and supplies (link). Mostly because it got good reviews, and the packed / collapsed size seemed good in a CI. In fact, it fits perfectly in an under-bed storage bin in a 560!
    DCAD6490-4F0A-4A9B-AF11-22A4F4C3173E by SethB posted Mar 30, 2023 at 12:49 PM
    You will definitely see reviewers complaining about collapsing the legs. It takes a little mechanical intuition, if you push on this tab <here> the leg swivels <there>. That worked fine for us in driveway trials, but apparently that’s beyond some people’s skills.

As it turned out, in summer 2020 the pit toilets were as good as they ever were, and we haven’t yet used the CleanWaste toilet. But now it lives in the CI, ready for any remote boondocking or 3am emergencies. It helps that we’ve always carried a privacy shelter. We did have quite a socially-distant gathering, with f&f from Boulder, Bainbridge, and three Portland households. It helped keep us sane. We did not run out of water… and had some great hiking in the wilderness. There may have been mosquitos…

I invite CI owners to contribute their own experience of the bits and bobs that enhance their camping while taking good advantage of available storage in a CI!

Jenn, Kevin, dustinp and 1 other person like this.
  13. JohnC

JohnC Ranger

I too purchased a Clean Waste unit and accessories prior to picking up my 560 in June of 2021. It's been sitting in the same storage bin but yet to be used. Nice to know it's there if need be and nice that it fits in the storage bin.

Kevin and dustinp like this.
  14. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Bumpto sayI did the same. Stores just perfect in under floor cargo bin, and removed from box you can store some extra packs next to it.

Jenn likes this.
  15. Carl U

Carl U Junior Ranger

After a total of 16 nights now I’ve gotten better at what is and not working. One thing that I started out doing initially is to keep outside equipment out of the cabin and gets moved in the bed of the Ridgeline. Sand and dirt stays out keeping the cabin clean.

The gazebo we picked up fit in the Ridgeline corner wise but made opening the trunk difficult. Bought a few cinch straps and put it on top of the CI should work well up there.

Attached Files:

Kevin, Jenn, SethB and 1 other person like this.
  16. dustinp

We don't have the rack on top of our 550, and finding room for everything in the TV is sometimes a little difficult (depending on who is on the outing :rolleyes:), so we have a sacrificial queen sheet that goes over the top of all the bedding before packing up things like the Gazelle, the Clam, or anything else inside the CI. The smaller end of either of those shelter bags will tuck easily into the foot well area, and store on the diagonal inside, keeping it out of the elements while traveling.

Also, when taking down the shelter, we do it on top of the 9x12 poly woven rug, so both the shelter, and the carry bag stay quite clean, and don't tend to drag much if any debris inside. The sheet has worked well at keeping what little sand etc that finds its way inside contained on top, and is easily disposed of with a quick shake outside once the gear has been unloaded.

Kevin and Jenn like this.
  17. Sweeney

Sweeney Ranger

Racking things makes a huge difference! I LOVE having the cabin clean and, most of all, empty. Before I started racking, it would be full, which made arrivals miserable. You had to pull everything out and set it up, which was really inconvenient for one-night stops.

I bought a Thule roof-mounted cargo box (Thule Force Rooftop Cargo Box -- XL Size), and it's made things so much easier. The ARB tent room, chairs, canopies—the 'wet' and dirty stuff goes up there. Even the CLAM/Gazelle fits inside nicely, and I've still got room left for more—but I hesitate simply because of weight.

The solo stove, grill, porta-potty, folding table, and solar panel are in the cargo bay of the tow vehicle. In my case, I leave all that stuff in the vehicle, and I can be on the road in minutes—I just have to load up clothing and food and fill the water tank if I anticipate a stop without water.

Getting off work at 5 on Fridays -- the last thing I want to do is fiddle around loading gall that stuff!

dustinp, Kevin and Jenn like this.
  18. Jenn

Jenn Ranger

I have the same potty in the same bin! Collapsing the legs is JOB.

I carry a 9' sport brella in the car. It's great to also have on the ground for shade or privacy.

A couple days ago I was getting ready to cook eggs in the galley. threw in the butter to melt and could tell there was too much tip to the whole trailer so I went to the front and turned the wheel down about 5 turns. Sadley there was no bacon.

Good ideas!
    Thanks!

Kevin likes this.
  19. Kevin

Kevin Ranger

Having a roof rack on the CI must sure come in handy!
    That G6 IS big, but packs down nice, right there when you need it.

Jenn likes this.
  20. dustinp

Yep, having an empty cabin to climb into after a long days drive, without having to unload it would sure be nice, especially for one night stops along the way on a road trip, or even just rest stops when you need 40 winks before getting back on the road. That rack & Thule cargo box sounds like the ideal solution to keep things clean, dry, out of the elements, and out of the cabin. Might have to consider another investment.;)

Jenn and Kevin like this.