Interior heaters/furnaces

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by birder526, Sep 14, 2014.

1. birder526

birder526 Novice

Hi,

We are going back and forth between needing/wanting a furnace -v- AC! We have the furnace on order, but not the AC. Has anybody used a small portable ceramic heater at all with success in cold weather? We think we are leaning towards using one of these -v- the furnace. And since we expect we'll be in more hot weather locations than cold weather locations, the AC is starting to make more sense to us. Thanks!

2. Jay & Valerie

Jay & Valerie Ranger Donating Member

Our philosophy was that it is easier to get warmer than it is to get cooler.

It's a small cabin area so with a small space heater and enough blankets, you can get warm and keep warm.

However, fans blowing and circulating air can only do so much to cool you off without AC. Therefore, we knew we wanted AC and not the furnace.

Of course, none of this matters if you don't have the power to drive the AC. Therefore, you need either shore power or a generator available to drive AC if dry camping.

We have not picked up our yet, so this is still don't know if our thought process is sound but it should be.

3. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Hi Diane and Michael

I think it comes down to whether you are going to be camping at campgrounds with power posts or not. We prefer to camp at national and state park primitive campgrounds to get away from the belching and f------ big box RVs. Way cheaper too! When we were at Big Bend National Park in Texas last winter the overnight temps got down to 15 degrees but we were comfy with the furnace. We paid 7 bucks a night with our geezer pass verses 45 bucks for the parking space like sites over in the RV campground, no discount cuz it's privately owned. There are only primitive sites at Guadelupe Mountains National Park and at 7200 feet it got darn cold over night. If we didn't have heat we would have been out of there after only one night and missed out on the fabulous hiking with warm temps during the day. The great thing about teardrop trailers is they fit in most tent sites. If you are going to be down south in the winter I think you'll be more comfortable with a source of heat and the camping is a lot more enjoyable if your not sardined in with the big box guys with little or no privacy. As for the AC, we have really only used our Fantastic fan one time, our 1st night in Florida was hot so we ran it for a couple hours, we honestly haven't used it since. We have the screen door option that we used a couple times in Florida. If you follow the nice weather which you can very easily do full timing you may not need or want the AC unit. We personally have no use for the AC unit.

Michael

4. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

Yah Michael x2 what you said....

But? being maninly a PNW camper that I am, I need it... I too have only used the Fan 1 or 2x but the heater more than that, quite a few times actually, only needed for about 5-10 min before bed and wake up if I'm in a real "Prissy Mood".. heheh but I'd definately go with the heater as a 'Must Have'... but again, I usually only do the PNW and Canada.. so that has a lot to do with it...

"AC?.. AC????
    We Don't need no Stink'n ACs up here..." heheh (Treas..Sierra Madre misquote)

Camping season is coming soon...
    Looking at Salt Creek, WA then Silver Falls, OR
    and then ???? Kalaloch Oly Peninsula?

fun..

5. Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon Junior Ranger

I agree with Jenn. Get both if you plan on camping without shore power. We hope to be in primitive campgrounds as much as possible so the furnace would be our only way to keep warm. AC can be amazing for those times when shore power is available--we car camped from NC to Montana this summer and stayed at a couple of KOAs on the way west and would have been miserable if their little cabins didn't have a/c. The build has just begun for our raindrop and although I was reluctant to lose the storage space for the a/c and the furnace, I know that I will be really happy to have them when I need them. I don't ever want to cut our trips short because I'm too hot or too cold. I plan to hang a small tapestry or something to cover the a/c when it's not in use.

6. Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon Junior Ranger

Frank, since you use your heater fairly often, do you have the full size propane tank or the smaller one? I suppose it wouldn't be hard to switch out the tanks for whatever seems appropriate for the specific trip.

7. tjcrebs

tjcrebs Novice Donating Member

This January we bought a used 2008 Camp Inn with AC but no furnace. We mostly camp in Colorado above 8000 feet, and have never needed the AC. We bought the 12-volt mattress pad (used under a down comforter) and a 1200-watt Crane Model EE-6490 ceramic heater and were toasty warm at -2-degrees F in the Omaha KOA with 110V-shore power this last February. When temps last month were below 42-degrees (above 10,000-feet) we were toasty using a hot water bottle and a cast iron frying pan (both heated by the propane stove) under a microfiber blanket. We've found that body heat (2 bodies and a small dog) heat up our 550 nicely for temps above 50-degrees F; we hang our coats/jackets over the door windows for added insulation. Yeah, we haven't needed no stinking furnace nor AC yet, but a furnace would be a nice option to have up here.
    Good Luck, T & Joy

8. fpoole

Chuck?.. heheh, I never know what to call members if they don't post their names or first names at least...

[​IMG]

Anyway, I still have and use the small tank. Keep in mind, I only use the heater for about 5-10 min before hitting the sack and if really cold, I'll set the Thermostat to low to keep it warm.

While I now use a bigger 20# tank that I carry in my truck, I'm running an outdoor heater off the propane side pocket that I put under the table, keeps the feet warm. That little heater does use a lot of propane. Since I carry the 20# in the back of my truck all the time, it's real simple to just off load it and hook it into the Camp Inn Hose. That way I can keep the smaller one for a back up if need be, until i get the 20# refilled

Inside the cabin, my set up is this.

From the plywood floor up.
    2 layers of the aluminum bubble wrap (easy to lay-down so duct taped two layers, then the Camp Inn mattress, electric heater pad (only when using shore power as it will drain battery at about 3am, since everything happens then), 1-2" of the foam padding, mattress cover, flannel bottom sheet and finally the 750 Down quilt in a Duvet?... works like a charm. I will wear heavy weight long johns, but I wear these under my day clothes too.

The heater is only on for about 5 min, doesn't take much propane, guessing about the same as your stove uses to boil cold water. And then it's off until the morning if it's c-c-c-cold I'll crank it up for about 5 mins. Any longer and it's toooo Hot.... so propane is not an issue, for me anyway.

The only issue I have is the heat pad, need shore power for that and it really, really works keeping the mattress warm.

One last note, I keep seeing everyone is so worried about "Loosing storage". Not sure what that is all about. I keep my 50' power cord, 25' water hose, a lot of propane/electric adaptors and the long Camp Inn Propane hose. It all fits just fine.

If??? I need to store anything else, I'll use those Tupper Ware bins, 20Gal ones but I have a midsized truck to put it in so maybe that's the issue... but i still don't see the worry. The Heater only takes up the lower RT? quarter of the front area. The rest is storage, out and inside (upper bins).

Just thought I'd throw that in. Between saving that small bit of Storage and running the heater for 5-10 min, I'm still not seeing the issue.

Now if I were in Southern states, FL So Texas and that was my stomping ground, I'd still get it along with the AC maybe.

I consider the Heater like a "Fire Extinguisher" in that...
    "You don't NEED it, until you NEED it..."

Hope that helps.. heheh, stay warm...

[​IMG]

fun..

9. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

I use our fan all of the time, but it prefer a cool breeze (wish I had one in our bedroom at home that was silent...that is my biggest issue with the fantastic fan, but some nights, I appreciate that white noise). I don't have the AC and this was the first summer where I wished I had it. Our tolerance for heat (being webfoots) is pretty low and taking a trip through the SW in June/July had us sweating buckets. The fan helped to some degree, along with the screen doors, but we took a lot of drives to "cool off". It made sleeping very difficult. I don't care what anyone says about a dry heat, 108 is hot, no matter what the type of heat.

If I were to do it again, I might get the AC. I do have the heater and I like it for several reasons, mainly we usually dry camp, and I think it can help dry things out a bit. Plus, it can be cool up here. When Mick is with us, we haven't needed it, but when it is the lad and I, a little extra heat is helpful, especially when we stick to the north. Which is probably in our foreseeable future!

10. Pick

Pick Novice

The furnace takes up virtualy all the lower half of the storage space in a 560. Don't know why it is less so in a 550. We have enough room for small wheel chocks,hitch lock, and a pair of gloves nothing else. That said we are glad to have the furnace and AC as well. We use both.

11. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Due to the narrowing curved front of a 560, the width of the front storage box is smaller than one on the 550, which has a flat front. The storage box on the 560 is deeper than the 550, however, more space is taken up with duct work for the furnace than in the 550.

:cool:

12. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

Ah-ha! Had never thought of that. I always wondered how some people got so much stuff in there, and that would explain it.

13. fpoole

Heheheh, well I'll "Wonder" no more...
    Thanks All Y'all... Now I know...
    I figured it had to be something I was "Missing"..

14. Cary Winch

Cary Winch Camp-Inn Staff

Technically the storage box on the 560 is close to the same size as the 550. It is indeed notably narrower which effects the furnace installation. But, it is deeper than the 550s. So, the volume is roughly the same.

Cary

15. fpoole

Heheh, Kewl, so I'm not bark'n up a tree..

Thanks Cary.. the biggest bulkiest thing is the water hose and now with the collapsible ones shouldn't be a problem, Technically speaking of course..

So, I will then, still wonder what all the "Issues" are on storage... but Oh Well.. everyone packs differently..

thanks..

16. Snudley

Snudley Novice

A small ceramic heater works with A/C power, and I'm about to try a DC blanket for warming the bed. Enough goose down can make you comfy in almost any circumstances. I want to be ready for adventures in all climates.

For me, the non negotiable factor is the air conditioner. The kitchen's great, the TV and stereo fun, but the bottom line after spending a good piece of change on my 560 is about sleeping comfort. I can always get warm with insulation, but I CAN NOT be comfortable in heat and humidity. The Fantastic Fan can only go so far.

17. 1Door

1Door Novice

Alan and I are in Florida.
    That said...The coldest I've ever been, has been, in Florida.
    It's the COLD HUMIDITY. When it's 37 degrees or cooler in the state of Florida...you are FREEZING!!!
    We have both been all over the United States traveling. So, believe it or not...we know cold/cloudy/rainy weather.
    We like Florida...Blue skies and sunshine.
    That said, I would recommend a heater. We do just fine with our portable Sunbeam from Walmart that sits on a shelf circulating on and off for 5 minutes every 30 minutes or so during the night and early am...KEEPS ALL THE CONDENSATION FROM ACCUMULATING ON THE WINDOWS
    (of which we only have 2 because we purchased the 500 Special and absolutely love it)
    AND THE WALLS.
    And...if you have short hair..you can use it to dry your hair!!!
    If you are going to spend most of your time camping in the north during the winter..when the parks ARE OPEN and HAVE NO SHORE POWER...
    YOU NEED A FURNACE.
    We recommend an air conditioner for every CAMP INN purchase.

18. Sraycock

Sraycock Newbie

Does anyone have photos of the furnace/heater? Curious as to what that looks like. Not sure I understand where it's located.

19. rotus8

rotus8 Ranger Donating Member

The furnace is located in the front storage compartment. It occupies almost all of the lower area, leaving only a small storage compartment accessible from the small door on the right side. The only visible things are the vents on the right side,
    0605171638_HDR-747x1328.jpg
    and the registers where the hot air comes out in the cabin.
    0605171639-1328x747.jpg
    The furnace itself is accessed from a panel under the storage area.

20. Lane and Michael

Lane and Michael Junior Ranger Donating Member

A couple of weeks ago I took my first real trip with the new camper to Acadia Nat'l. Park. In the downpours, I learned that the camper doesn't leak, and that it keeps me perfectly dry, as well as absolutely frozen in the cold rain and wind. When we placed our order, to save space we decided against the furnace and opted instead for the air conditioner. After four nights, on the trip home, I stopped at a marine supply and grabbed a pair of Weems and Plath gimballed oil lamps. When I owned a wooden boat, these lamps were all that was needed to take the chill off a similarly sized, but uninsulated space. I haven't been able to try these out in circumstances similar to the conditions at Acadia, but I am sure they will do the trick. They won't make the cabin stuffy, but I am certain they will make the living arrangements much more comfortable. _XXM2140.jpg

Jenn likes this.