Hopeful Tearjerker

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by JoeB-NW, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Janet G.

Janet G. Newbie

Frank, I love the photos. Wish more people would post them. This is what we were looking at:

http://www.campfireinacan.com/

Yours is nicer but we have three dogs and my shoes to haul around so space is tight.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  2. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

Janalina, I don't know if you saw this link earlier in the thread, but it seems to be smaller and half the price of the one you are considering.
    Unless I missed something...

3. Bev

Bev Novice

Frank, keep posting photos! It sure helps while waiting for my own CI due in the middle of December.

4. fpoole

fpoole Junior Ranger Donating Member

thanks all on the pic notes... it's fun...

Small campfires, I noticed the two smaller ones.. don't know what the difference is between the two, Camp Chef has a few of them.

Of course if Google 'camping fire pits' you'll get a slew of them. Most are the large ones so watch the sizes. Mine is a medium sized one, probably, and it is bulky, so smaller sounds a little better..

Also, they do have those wood burning buckets.. with Figures cut out on the sides, kewl, but again (yep, I have one of those too, never used it) it's big and bulky... They might now have some smaller ones and I'm sure there's DIY'er (Do It Yourself - took a long time for me to figure out what DIY meant heheh) somewhere using a Clay pot/pipe or fitting or something.......

Anyway, the smaller ones would be my choice.
    I seem to purchase things that would be perfect for a lot of people/parties etc.. but most of the time,it's just me, heheh, so hauling those things just for "Moi" is too much work... and space...
    Go figure...

Perfect example is below.
    Sigh, These things take "Forever!!!!" 30 sec or so..
    "Too much Time for Too Much Fun.." heheh

[​IMG]

When out by myself, I usually don't bring the blenders, especially this one... proves my point on the above observation to my self.. heheh
    It's all fun..

5. Frank,
    And of course, you are familiar with the propane powered version of your blender? The one I observed was for only one flavor at a time. Very noisy but doesn't need electric.
    George

6. Frank,
    How cold are you camping in? It is true that propane will not turn to gas at extreme temperatures but I found that to be -30f and colder. We would put an old army blanket over the top of the tank. On real cold days, a 40w light bulb next to the regulator. One time when we didn't have electricity, we put a hot rock next to the regulator. It doesn't take much heat. Of course if you don't have propane, how are you going to heat the rock? The reason I am mentioning this is you might have water in your gas line or the regulator is frosting up. Or maybe it just has something to do with altitude. You can camp a lot higher than Fairbanks which is near sea level. I kind of got of topic, sorry.
    George

7. fpoole

Heheh, haven't seen the propane blend, but me thinks it's better I don't. I have the Battery one with 2 extra batteries and that is the usual one I bring, CARMEN (see Franks OTRA post), unless I know there will be power. I have 3 of the blasted Thangs.. heheh..

Not cold to much, +10 to +15F or so, and it works for a while, an hour?, but as the condensation builds up on the side it just, pardon the pun, "Snow Balls" and gets worse. Believe it goes for about an hour or so then trickles down to nothing. Tried pouring boiling/hot water over it, worked a little, but like "Coldness" frozen in a few minutes.

Next stop is the Duct Tape and Chem Heat packs wrapped around and the bottom and maybe a wrap of that Alum bubble wrap.. 20lb propane tank.

It's just a short gas line, 4' or so. Will keep in mind the light bulb and the rock as the pit contains lava rocks, but guessing it dissipate too quickly. I guess I cold throw in a few "Warming Rocks" if you can find them under the snow?

Dunno George, Chem pack will be my next attempt when it pops up...

thanks for the info. Altitude, not that high to affect gas...
    and Fall is coming, thank Gawd... heheh, time to start camping now... No BKTs... Whooo-Peeee...

8. Frank,
    I think you will find your solution to the propane problem here. (http://www.wardburner.com/tankfreeze.html). The whiskey sounds good too.
    George

9. fpoole

Heheh, thanks... will sit down and read it... NO Ignition Source..LOL.. fire under the tanks... boy not there yet...
    I maybe dumb, but I ain't stupid... unless someone brings some hot-dogs that is...
    Thanks George.. not going to go to a bigger tank so I'll find something in there that I can toy with... I don't go out that often and not camping in Alaska so one trip at a time eh??
    thanks...

10. JoeB-NW

JoeB-NW Novice

For those looking for a portable propane fire pit, check out this link. It is a comparison chart between 11 different manufactures. Good info in one place, answers basic questions such as BTU output. Unfortunately no dimensions are given.

http://www.campfirecompare.com/Comparison_Chart.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2016
  11. fpoole

Hmmmm... Krap... heheh... that "..in a Can" only looks pretty good. Recognizing of course it's the products website, but a "Robust" flame and small size would be what I would be looking for... and it's got a good review base. and it's small... did I mention how much smaller it is... heheh It's on the Wish List...

Now that's a flame... Could do that on my big ole burner.. suspect the eats fuel like nothing at that level...

[​IMG]

I say "Krap" as I'll probably end up getting one.. Geeze.. help me.. heheh and ?? Womp'Em Sticks

[​IMG]

12. JoeB-NW

JoeB-NW Novice

It is with much joy that I can report as of last week...we have ordered our 560. I am to understand that the build will begin end of Jan or first part of Feb. We have a pick-up for middle of May. Thank you all for your advice and we can hardly wait to meet you.

As with our boat we intend to have a christening complete with ceremony and name.

First order of business though....at what point is it acceptable for me to change the color of my pin on the map to "in production"?

Joe B

13. Bev

Bev Novice

Congrats Joe B on placing your order!

I didn't ask ahead of time, but I put my pin color to yellow as soon as I sent the check.

14. fdkoh99

fdkoh99 Junior Ranger

Hey Joe,

Congratulations!! Now it is certain that you can join the 4th annual PNW CICO ... we just need to pick the place - Mossy Rock has been a pretty nice the last couple of years... and you can see all of Frank's pyrotechnics, custom additions by many, Northern breeze, etc etc...

Dave and Linda

15. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Yes, congratulations Joe

I am also patiently waiting for our own CampInn trailer to be built. Have fun pondering all your trailer options and so forth and I hope to see you at the 4th annual PNW CampInn gathering next summer. It really is a very enjoyable event, lots of nice folks showing off their cool teardrops/raindrops, ( us soontobees were in a tent). See you next summer and we can both compare notes on our new CampInns.

Enjoy

michaelo

16. michaelo

michaelo Novice

Hi Mike and Carol
    Just curious, where is the "Villages". We lived in the FL for many years but the "Villages" has escaped me.

Enjoy

michaelo

17. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Joe, nobody is too strict here. A signed contract is good enough to get you a yellow pin.

18. rushthecat

rushthecat Novice

michaelo, The Villages (the villages.com) is located just south of Orlando and about 50 miles northwest of Orlando. Congrats on your purchase, time will drag until you get your teardrop but it's worth the wait.
    Mike

19. JoeB-NW

JoeB-NW Novice

Thanks to all, and I am sure that my wife and I will be able to make the trek to the PNW CICO. We have already begun to purchase the little neccesities for the maiden voyage. It will be a good trip to determine what else we are going to need.

P.S. Michaelo, when do you pick yours up? BTW The Villages is a real neat community. I used to be the Facilities manager for all of the Starbucks in the town so I was there often.

20. michaelo

michaelo Novice

The Villages, sounds like a nice place. I worked for WPBT the PBS afiliate in Miami in the 80s and early 90s before hurricane Andrew, saw a lot of Florida, don't remember The Villages though.

We'll be in Necedah in 53 days. We're counting them down. Our plan is to drive straight down to Floirida. We love the campground on St George Island. That whole area is so pristine, at least it was 20 years ago. It will interesting to see how much has changed. From Florida we'll head across the southern states to California and up the coast roads home to avoid the snow

Who knows maybe we'll check out The Villages while we're back in your fair state.

michaelo