Greetings From New Hampshire

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet' started by NH Wanderlust, Mar 21, 2018.

1. NH Wanderlust

NH Wanderlust Junior Ranger Donating Member

Hello from NH. My long journey in searching for an RV that worked for my wife and I has lead me to this forum. For much of that journey I was considering a small class C. The goal was to pull my Miata to the various windy roads this country offers. The reality is I’m still working and mostly what we do is weekend camping at music festivals and craft shows. My back can no longer handle the hard ground in the tent. Also the very large investment in a depreciating asset like a self contained RV that is seldom used just doesn’t make sense, at this time. So I’m learning from this forum and planning a 560. New or used with the right options. Should we decide down the road to go with the class C I feel I’d get my money back from the 560 or at least be able to pass it on to our California living daughter. It will be fun to visit her in Lake Tahoe in a TD.

And here in NH we are about to get our 4th Nor’easter snow storm in March. Its fun to dream of camping and tear drops with several feet of snow on the ground and more on the way. Still don’t think I want that furnace but the SUV option is a must!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  2. dustinp

dustinp Ranger Donating Member

You might even be able to tow it with your Miata instead of vice versa ( not sure I would recommend it, but apparently by British standards it shouldn't be a problem): Towing Capacity Mazda MX-5
    ;)
    Welcome to the forum, and enjoy what ever you decide to get!

Lynne & Scott likes this.
  3. mariusz

mariusz Junior Ranger

Hi, welcome to the forum, the 560 would hold its value way more than any class c but be careful you just might fell in love with it and never get anything bigger, i live in ny and don't have furnace i camp a lot in Adirondacks during summer and i was never cold...

Lynne & Scott likes this.
  4. Lynne & Scott

Lynne & Scott Junior Ranger Donating Member

Greetings and welcome from fellow newbies! We too have journied to the Camp-Inn via the ole tent route. We are looking forward to the experience as well. These folks here are full of knowledge and we have learned a lot by simply reading threads. Hoping you find just what you are looking for and can begin your adventures in your unit- soon!

5. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Welcome to the forum. If you get the furnace you may just find yourself camping year round.

6. Tear Stream

Tear Stream Newbie

Welcome as well to the forum!

My wife and I were in the same boat.. we attend an astronomy star party every year but the tent camping (with our now almost 3 year old daughter) was just way too much to set up and break down. Never mind with a large telescope! Also we weren’t sure actually how long we would hold on to the camper (God forbid!) so we wanted something that would hold its value. Well to our own peril we went to Poplar Hill RV in Turner Maine where they sell these campers (the only actual dealer other than CampInn themselves) and of course seeing one in person sealed the deal. It’s so unfair that these look so much nicer in person than any photo. Very few can resist! So here we are with a Raindrop 560 Ultra in our driveway. Used it twice for 2+ weeks last year. Once for the annual astronomy star party and one for a huge road trip to see the Total Solar Eclipse. Drove all they way to Kentucky and this thing was a god send! Spent several nights in our nicely chilled CampInn and it was awesome! Oh and our Mini Cooper S towed it no problem! Only took about 10 mpg off the mileage. We usually get 38 mpg and we averaged 24 the whole trip with our cars AC cranking. No problems. Anyway as I mentioned in my PM to you earlier today feel free to contact me and I’d be happy to show you one in person.. just need all the snow to melt.. with those 4 nor’easters we just lived thru!

I take no responsibility for you falling in love and your wallet burning a HUGE hole in your pocket! In fact you might want to keep the wallet at home...just in case flames fire out of it.. you know to be safe.. Or maybe you’ll be better prepared than I when I saw one in person... I have no self control. My wife on the way back home that day turned to me and said.. so we are buying one right? I only could smile...

mariusz, Tour 931 and Lynne & Scott like this.
  7. Same story for us a few years ago. We bought our 560 Ultra through Poplar Hill RV in Maine. The summer of 2015 we were planning a Western trip and when went to order through Camp Inn we could not get in time for when we could travel. Luckily, Poplar Hill had one that had all the options we wanted plus a TV so we bought from the dealer in Maine. Camp Inn held it for us and we got to do the tour and orientation with Cary in Necedah. In fact it was almost 3 years ago this week that we picked ours up. We enjoyed tent camping but this had made it easier to get ready and to clean up from a trip too. In the summer we camp a lot in the NC mountains where it rains a lot, so tent camping means everything is we when you come home. The first two summers we had Jeremiah, we did trips out West where we camped for 3+ weeks. Taking a tent up and down that often and sleeping on the ground would not have happened in a tent. Camped last weekend and next week when our Spring Break starts, we will be in it four nights.

8. NH Wanderlust

Priorities, priorities, priorities. So I'm sold on CI and now learning from reading all sorts of threads on this forum. The Dew Drop Inn Chronicles gave me a wealth of information. Checking the For Sale section to see what comes up that meets my needs. Building a couple a variants in the company website, and blanching at my expensive tastes. Educating myself. And whats the most important thing? What will I name the darn thing! I name my cars so it's not surprising. The Miata is called Zoomer and the green CR-V is Kermit. But really why I am wasting time thinking about a name when I don't even know what I'm going to end up with! It's name will be The Dog House. It has meaning on MANY levels!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    skissinger and Evan like this.
  9. bherbig

bherbig Novice

NH Wanderlust, My wife and I started out with a 4 foot wide CI that they no longer sell and then went to a 560. We live here in Poland Maine and became good friends with Alan & Rachel Hill who own Poplar Hill RV. We happen to know that they are thinking about retiring from the trailer sales and have 1 560 left in stock. They would really like to sell it so might be a good time to check it out and maybe make an offer, never know but they just might accept!
    Bruce

10. NH Wanderlust

Thanks for the info. Road trip!

11. NH Wanderlust

Heading to Pennsylvania on Friday to pick up and bring home #942. A barely used 560. Can’t wait.

Tom & Diana P, Evan, Tour 931 and 3 others like this.
  12. Tour 931

Tour 931 Ranger

Number 942 must only be a month old.

13. NH Wanderlust

Hatched beginning of April. Used 3 nights.

14. Ben

Ben Ranger Donating Member

Wow! That must be a record! What's the back story in terms of selling so quickly?

15. NH Wanderlust

Medical, could no longer use it in the way he had hoped to.

16. Ben

Ben Ranger Donating Member

That's rough! Sorry to hear it but glad it worked out well for you in terms of getting a nearly new 560.

17. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Congrats! I’ll give you my best impression of Cary’s factory orientation when we see you next month.

Tom & Diana P likes this.
  18. NH Wanderlust

XANADU is now home in her new nest. Very pleased!

Tom & Diana P and Evan like this.
  19. Lane and Michael

Lane and Michael Junior Ranger Donating Member

When we ordered our 560 from Poplar Hill, we saw the one that must be for sale now, and which sealed our determination to get one of these fine campers. We tried to buy it, but as it was the only demo (with not a scratch or any sign of use at all) it wasn't for sale then. But it would make a fine camper for anyone who didn't want to wait for one to be built, even if the price isn't reduced. Almost makes me wish we had the wherewithall to have one on the east coast and another in Oregon. I'm not alone in that thought. I'm sure I've seen that idea posted in one of these forums.