Great 10 x 10 from Coleman

Discussion in 'Other Gear & Equipment' started by Evan, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

I just bought my dad a 10 x 10 Coleman for his birthday. After setting it up with him, I think it is the best 10 x 10 I have ever seen:
    [​IMG]

First of all, it's got built in LED lights. Yep, 4 small LED puck lights that are integrated right into the frame, so you don't even need to set them up.

[​IMG]

They run off of Coleman's CPX battery packs, which are also cool because the same battery pack will run all kinds of other stuff by Coleman, like lanterns, USB/Phone Chargers, etc...
    If all of your battery packs are dead, you can use 4 D-Cell batteries in a pinch.
    [​IMG]

The mechanism for collapsing the tent is nice too. You don't need superhuman strength or a screwdriver to push the pins in.
    [​IMG]

It has a vented top, a nice carry case with wheels, and even though the directions don't say this, we had no problem leaving the canopy on the frame when putting it away. That's always been a big selling point for me, and I'm surprised that they don't advertise this.

Coleman makes the same tent in a 12 x 12 - just without the lights. We used one of these in the rain on our last trip. The extra 2' makes a HUGE difference.

2. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

Bass pro shop has the a similar one with a 'swing wall'. It serves as a privacy wall on one side or an extended canopy. The lights are nice and they dim well. Since we have had it, it's made us too lazy to set up the ol' Northern Breeze(which is a truly awesomely durable tent). But the Coleman is too easy.

3. Mick'nSarah

Mick'nSarah Junior Ranger

That is really nice. I like those big buttons for taking it down too. I could probably manage this one.

4. JeffL

JeffL Newbie

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think that the official model name for the canopy you bought, is the Coleman "10 ft x 10 ft Lighted Instant Canopy", Model No.2000007829. On Amazon it's listed as the "Coleman Instant Canopy with LED Lighting System". The pictures seem to match your picture pretty well.

(This info is for my own future reference when I go to order one.)

5. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

At the Wisconsin tearjerkers gathering, Tom C has the same canapay. Appears like a nice product. Lights worked nicely. Dry weather so do not know how holds up during wind and rain.

Jean

6. Betsey

Betsey Camp-Inn Staff

Yeah, Craig said the same thing when I showed him the pictures.

So, where's mine??? ;) :grin:

:cool:

7. Evan

Evan Administrator Donating Member

Jeff, that's the one.

8. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

I would like to revoke the nice things I said about this tent. Today is the 3rd time we have set it up. Last time it rained all weekend, tent did well, but it rusted inside the legs and they wouldn't extend today. Then all of a sudden two pieces of the accordion frame SNAPPED. It's now completely useless! I feel terrible for cheating on our trusty Northern Breeze with such a nasty thing. So, basically it lasted 4 days. Northern Breeze is 5 years old and has weathered some serious abuse and storms. I am pulling it outta storage when I get back and am going to spend hours apologizing to her, then take her on a real nice weekend of camping. Hopefully Bass Pro or Coleman will let me return it and the optional sidewalls. UGH!

9. Jim and Sue L.

Jim and Sue L. Junior Ranger

Yikes! Darn shame about that. It sounded like a good product, but then...was it "Made in China"? Where are the American products?

Oh, I forgot...got outsourced. Nothing seems to be lasting more than three or four outings these days.

EXCEPT FOR A CAMP INN!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll say it again: nothing beats Made in the U. S. A.!

Sue

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

Jenn, you are right. Our Northern Breeze has a few rips, but they were from getting teardrop snagged on a zipper etc while pulling it out of the tent. Those add character and make some funny stories!

Jsl, it is a neat tent, the lights, dimmer, did okay in rain...seemed to have a lot going for it, until the big snap and rust fest. I think the northern breeze is probably of Asian descent. But no moving parts like the Coleman (KISS method?) and did cost a bit more. It is very frustrating though!

11. Jean W

Jean W Junior Ranger Donating Member

My Northern Breeze is wonderful. Has protected me during thunderstorms, hail, sleet, snow, and wind.

Yes, I can put it up and take down by myself, which is a comedy show.

The best all weather protection system is the garage! Northern Breeze can be considered a portable garage.

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

We call it a reverse pop-up. When we park raindrop inside norther breeze with just the front windows outside. The old teardrop (8x4) fit inside easily, people couldnt even tell there was a camper inside. Solo set up is always good entertainment to watch with the Big tent like the NB!

Just watched a video of how to repair the Coleman with the accordion frame. If I can't return it, will attempt a repair. Hopefully some lithium grease will fix the rusted poles (it helped with the side tent poles) Keep you posted, maybe the motivation I need to learn how to post pics on here.

If anyone buys one of the Coleman's you may want to consider lubing it up before you ever use it and be very very gentle...this is no Eureka or Kelty!

13. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

After we got home from camping today, I looked harder at the broken tent struts. Then went to the home depot and bought a small piece on aluminum stock. Slipped a piece inside the hollow broken tube and drilled two holes on each side of the break. Then used 4 pop rivets to hold it together. Sprayed some lithium grease inside leg sleeves. $5 later and it's back to normal. Still upset about it and question the over all quality. But rather then getting a bigger headache from trying to return it and the shipping fee etc, it was easier to make the repair. Pondering selling it, but it is just so easy to set up.

14. Monica

Monica Novice

After a very wet (ok), gutter-streaming (ok), and muddy (not so ok) camping experience I am considering a Northern Breeze where I can park the 550 TD inside a 'garage'. Is there more than one kind of Northern Breeze? I am seeing the Eureka Northern Breeze Screen House for sale, at around $450. Is this the one?
    And I promise to be kind to her...

15. Ken & Peggy

Ken & Peggy Moderator Staff Member Donating Member

That is the one, Monica. They sometimes go on sale, so if you have some time to wait you might save a few bucks.

16. pat walsh

pat walsh Junior Ranger

Monica that is the one we have. One thing, we bought the floor with our as it was on sale - we used it once and have not felt the need for it since. It resides in the under bed storage box.

17. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Novice

Monica, you won't regret your new garage. I saw them for $399 recently.

18. JB

JB Novice

Monica, wait for a sale if you can, picked up a Northern Breeze for $354 w/free shipping last May through Amazon.

J&B

19. Bazza2154

Bazza2154 Novice

Monica

I have to say the NB is the best we just camped in the White Mountains and although we had great weather over five days we had two huge thunderstorms and rain on two nights.

The NB was great and never let any rain in and we used a great system when breaking camp in the rain to stay as dry as possible

We backed up the TV as close as possible to load up by using the pull out flaps of the NB to give shelter to load the back of our F150.

We then positioned the TV as close as possible to the hitch and unzipped the front and the rear of the NB.

One each side we wallked the NB forward over the TV and CI and hitched up in the dry while raising the legs and removing the wheel chocks.

Once hitched and lights checked in the dry we pulled the NB over the back of the F150 TV and lowered the tent onto the back of the hard bed cover which meant it did not drag on the ground and could be folded up wet but as clean as possible

Finally we pulled the wet NB back onto the tailgate closed up with poles poked in the bed and drove way damp but not soaked

20. Monica

Monica Novice

Thanks to everyone for responding, and way to go Barry & Annie! Literally!